CD player or ext. DA-converter?

6002 is award winner & can play mp3,wav.
So whether to go 6002 or DAC magis(Beresford)?

My first choice in terms of VFM would be Beresford.

Otherwise!

If multiple sources then Beresford/DacMagic. If primarily audio CDs then 6002 I guess, but I have always gone for solutions with future upgradability/multiple input options so a DAC makes more sense where I am concerned but then that's me.

6002 is award winner & can play mp3,wav.
So whether to go 6002 or DAC magis(Beresford)?

For versatility go for

Universal DVD player --> SPDIF --> DACMagic --> Amp

but you will never know what you miss with an audiophile cd player.

If you are in Bangalore, we can compare, but you have to buy first :D

Cheers

So whats all the fuss about jitter with a cheap cd-player that audiophiles talk about then? Is it poorer than streaming over wireless or something? I fail to understand. :confused:

Regards

For versatility go for

Universal DVD player --> SPDIF --> DACMagic --> Amp

but you will never know what you miss with an audiophile cd player.

If you are in Bangalore, we can compare, but you have to buy first :D

Cheers

I'm more than willing to join in the comparo with my DAC :D. However who has a revealing enough setup to actually make this worthwhile? I don't think my electronics are revealing enough to reliably do an ABX on multiple sources.

My setup will be ready end of Dec. NAD c325BEE + marantz cd6002 + Wharfedale 9.2 . Is that revealing enough? :rolleyes: I can't expose more than that :D

Cheers

My setup will be ready end of Dec. NAD c325BEE + marantz cd6002 + Wharfedale 9.2 . Is that revealing enough? :rolleyes: I can't expose more than that :D

Cheers

I m just looking for best deal to upgrade system.
I have Onkyo HT-S580,Tannoy F1 ,Onida DVDp.

My source is very poor.So few thought to improve stereo SQ are as follows-

1.To go for universal DVDp with good stereo playback.short listed Oppo 980
(983 costly),Denon1930.
2.Improve current DVDP with ext. DAC like Beresford,DAC magic.
3.Dedicated CDp with mp3,wav playback.like Marantz 6002

They will be connected to AVR.
My budget is abt 15k+ & confused which way to start upgrade.
Many things are not easily available in Mumbai for audition.
I dont want many setups.Which one out of three is best for me?
I listen more music than mov.(70/30)
So if you were in my place what would be your choice?

So which can be better?
1.Marantz 6002 CDP
2.Budget DVDp + DAC magic(or Barasford)

At this price point the Marantz 6002 will sound the best. If you get a dedicated stereo amp in future then you can get the best possible sound at this price point coupled with your Tannoy F1s.

Forget about MP3,VCD and other lossy format sources while shopping for a good CD player or DAC. A high end CD player or DAC will not make a big difference to the sound quality of a low res source.A good budget DVD player would be enough to bring out the best possible sound from a MP3 source. Just look at how well it would sound with Audio CDs.

I m just looking for best deal to upgrade system.
I have Onkyo HT-S580,Tannoy F1 ,Onida DVDp.

1.To go for universal DVDp with good stereo playback.short listed Oppo 980
(983 costly),Denon1930.
2.Improve current DVDP with ext. DAC like Beresford,DAC magic.
3.Dedicated CDp with mp3,wav playback.like Marantz 6002

I listen more music than mov.(70/30)

The weakest link in your chain is the Onida DVD Player. Next in line will be the interconnects and speaker cables that you use.

I would say both the HT-5580 and Tannoy F1, if coupled with a good source and good cables and interconnects will deliver good music.

But I am concerned with your statement 'I listen more music than Mov.'

I would look at the following options:

1. If you are going in for computer based storage and distribution of music files, then a slightly better DVD Player and a Beresford DAC would be the ideal choice. Even a Philips, Samsung, or Pioneer DVD Player will perform much better than the Onida. Why Beresford DAC? Simply because it is inexpensive and damn good. The difference between Beresford and DACMagic or the Parasound you were looking at will come into play only when you use very expensive and very powerful equipment as well as large floor standing speakers. At around 100 watts, the Beresford will perform very well and keep you happy. Total cost - 8K for Beresford, 5K for DVD Player, 5K for cables. Using a 2000 Rupee CD Player and EAC, you can slowly convert all your music to WAV or FLAC files, and enjoy superior sound for life. If you are ready to look at 12 to 18 months and beyond, this is the best option. Further down the line, you can improve things even better if you want by adding a CD Player such as the TEAC Reference PD-H300mkIII CD Player. At USD229, this is a killer budget CD Player. If you travel abroad, or can coax somebody to get it for you, you will have a good CDP at 12,000. Teac is one of those companies that brings excellent products at ridiculous prices. Connected through the Beresford, it ill deliver very sweet sound for you.

Read the review at Welcome to GoodSound!.

2. If you are not interested in computer based music distribution - I would leave the present set up as is, and look at a CDP and Amplifier combination - something like the CA 340C and 340A. They will drive the Tannoys very well, and give you good music, without a doubt. Total cost 26 or 27K. Similarly priced combination, I am sure, are available from NAD and Marantz.

Cheers

The weakest link in your chain is the Onida DVD Player. Next in line will be the interconnects and speaker cables that you use.

I would say both the HT-5580 and Tannoy F1, if coupled with a good source and good cables and interconnects will deliver good music.

1. If you are going in for computer based storage and distribution of music files, then a slightly better DVD Player and a Beresford DAC would be the ideal choice. Even a Philips, Samsung, or Pioneer DVD Player will perform much better than the Onida. Why Beresford DAC? Simply because it is inexpensive and damn good. The difference between Beresford and DACMagic or the Parasound you were looking at will come into play only when you use very expensive and very powerful equipment as well as large floor standing speakers. At around 100 watts, the Beresford will perform very well and keep you happy. Total cost - 8K for Beresford, 5K for DVD Player, 5K for cables. Using a 2000 Rupee CD Player and EAC, you can slowly convert all your music to WAV or FLAC files, and enjoy superior sound for life. If you are ready to look at 12 to 18 months and beyond, this is the best option. Further down the line, you can improve things even better if you want by adding a CD Player such as the TEAC Reference PD-H300mkIII CD Player. At USD229, this is a killer budget CD Player. If you travel abroad, or can coax somebody to get it for you, you will have a good CDP at 12,000. Teac is one of those companies that brings excellent products at ridiculous prices. Connected through the Beresford, it ill deliver very sweet sound for you.

2. If you are not interested in computer based music distribution - I would leave the present set up as is, and look at a CDP and Amplifier combination - something like the CA 340C and 340A. They will drive the Tannoys very well, and give you good music, without a doubt. Total cost 26 or 27K. Similarly priced combination, I am sure, are available from NAD and Marantz.

Cheers

Thanks

I dont use PC for music.

Last edited:

Cheers

Thanks Sir,

I think of getting Marantz CD6002 as CDP.I never used CDp before.
I wld like to know does Marantz need specific amp to give best performance?
Can the said model will match with Onkyo avr?

I selected thisone bcose it plays MP3/wav & it is award winner.
I listen CD ,mp3,wav (50+25+25)
Beresford is not available in Mumbai(?).

Teac you suggested has 1 bit DAC .Is it better than 24 bit?

I think of getting Marantz CD6002 as CDP.I never used CDp before. I wld like to know does Marantz need specific amp to give best performance? Can the said model will match with Onkyo avr?

No CDP or CD manufacturer can say he needs a specific amp to get the best output. That means there is something fishy. If a CD player sends data that a preamp can read, it will work with any amp.

Beresford is not available in Mumbai(?).

No You have to order online. I believe the landed cost is somewhere around 7.5K.

Teac you suggested has 1 bit DAC .Is it better than 24 bit?

Companies such as Teac and Sansui are propagating 1 bit DAC as being more accurate and ultimately giving an output that is more linear and closer to analogue.

Since you are buying the Marantz, let us skip this. Even if you did buy the Teac, you could have used it with an external DAC where you will get 24 bit processing.

Cheers

Sony music systems which sounds far better use 1 bit DAC.
Secondly which online distributor delivers Beresford in India?
Oppo shop denied for India.

Sony music systems which sounds far better use 1 bit DAC. Secondly which online distributor delivers Beresford in India?

Which Sony system sounds better than which system? :) A lot of people will be ready to take arms against you.

Beresford is a small company, and I don't think he is interested in dealership and all. Just go to his website, and see how you can order. I remember a few of our members have got the Beresford DAC sitting in India. I will let one of them tell you how to do it.

Cheers

Which Sony system sounds better than which system? :) A lot of people will be ready to take arms against you.

Beresford is a small company, and I don't think he is interested in dealership and all. Just go to his website, and see how you can order. I remember a few of our members have got the Beresford DAC sitting in India. I will let one of them tell you how to do it.

Cheers

I want to say comparing SONY music system with others like philips.No HIFI.

also Beresford is 96kHz/24 vs DAC magic 192/24bit.
Does it make serious difference?

is this site ok?-http://www.beresford.me/others/main.html
to order

Last edited:
also Beresford is 96kHz/24 vs DAC magic 192/24bit.
Does it make serious difference?
is this site ok?-http://www.beresford.me/others/main.html to order

Yes Spirovious. That is the site.

Here is the frequency details from their website:

QUOTE BERESFORD

The TC-7510 is a 4 digital inputs audio DAC with 24bit/96KHz digital input capability. It reclocks and resamples incoming digital data using its own inbuilt jitter free clock in order to negate jitter in the original signal. The actual Digital to Analog conversion process takes place at 352.8KHz for a 16 bit/44.1KHz CD audio signal, and 384KHz for DVD audio. This higher frequency sampling rate accounts for a large part for the detailed resolution and separation of singers and instruments in a recording.

UNQUOTE BERESFORD

So you have nothing to worry about.

Cheers

Last edited:
Good news,

Beresford is ready to deliver.I got email today,check this.
Messege-

of course I can deliver to Mumbai :) . I have quite a few Indian customers already. By the way, my grandmother from my mother's side was from India and as I child I even had to speak Hindi at home if I wanted my great grandmother to understand me!

For India I ship tax free. The ordering site is at Beresford Media & Electronics. However, I can also send you a personal invoice and maybe even a small discount. Just calculate from my site how much the total of the goods are that you are after and what the part numbers are. Then email them to me and I shall work out a better price if possible.
All the best,

Stanley Beresford
http://www.beresford.me
http://www.homehifi.co.uk
Mobile: +44 7917896868

So if ohter members want it ,we can get special discount.
Mumbai members think abt it.

Only one quiry-
Which model is better?

TC 7510 mk6 or mk4?-http://www.beresford.me/main/main.html

Only one quiry-Which model is better?
TC 7510 mk6 or mk4?-http://www.beresford.me/main/main.html

This is really good. Three cheers to Stanley. Hip Hip Hooray.

Buy the latest model Mk 6 Mod 21. I don't think there is much price difference.

Cheers

PS. A small correction. I think Stanley has only one model called Mk6/4. I don't see anything else on his web site.

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back