CD player or ext. DA-converter?

This is really good. Three cheers to Stanley. Hip Hip Hooray.

Buy the latest model Mk 6 Mod 21. I don't think there is much price difference.

Cheers

PS. A small correction. I think Stanley has only one model called Mk6/4. I don't see anything lese on his web site.

I think they r two mk6 & mk4,bcos I read in other forum somebody asking if newer mk6 model as good as older?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=887965

They even have digital interconnects.Anybody tried?

All of you, and in particular you Spirovious, please hold your horses.

Spiro, I checked the link you sent, and I read some disturbing news.

First, there is an article that says that the IC names have been rubbed out. Please check True hifi for all for music and cinema at your home theater - tc 7510 beresford..

Second there seems to be an identical model being manufactured by a Taiwanese company with the same model number. Please check Converters - Technolink Enterprise Co. - Audio amplifiers, phono preamp, Audio Mixer, A/V switcher, Phono accessories, Integrated Stereo Amplifier, Controllers, Audio controller, Speaker controller, Audio control, vedio control, Speaker volume contro.

If any of this is true, we have to tread carefully. Stanley has also got a 5 star from WhatHiFi. What is going on? Is anybody aware? I have written to Stanley, and let us see what he says.

Cheers

PS:

Stanley has replied to my first mail. He has made a very generous offer of sending 12 pieces at 120$ each. Landed price of each piece will be Rs.6000-7000. If there are 8 to 10 of us who are interested, we can buy it in bulk, and save a lot of money.

But I will wait for answer to my first second mail, and see what he says about the allegations I have mentioned above. Let us keep our fingers crossed.

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks Venkat. Even I am deciding between a Beresford and DacMagic. Shall wait for further clarification I guess...

Thanks Venkat for catching that. Appreciate your zeal and proactiveness

Cheers
May I point out that those pictures were posted in posted on Jun. 15th, 2007? When I started my business I had to protect mu intellectual rights and was not prepared to divulge any information with regards to the components I used.

I am however quite surprised that Venkat write that this is disturbing news, including that our website registered in Taiwan also list the TC-7510. We manufacture various items on an OEM basis and for some very well known brand names.

However, I bear no ill will on anyone:). I am quite accustomed to negative reporting on my DAC.

Beresford TC-7510 review whathifi.com
What Is Inside A Berefsord TC-7510 MK6/3 DAC - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

StanleyB

I am however quite surprised that Venkat write that this is disturbing news, including that our website registered in Taiwan also list the TC-7510. We manufacture various items on an OEM basis and for some very well known brand names.

Stanley, let us be very clear on one thing. I write only what I see. I have very specifically mentioned these as 'allegations', and I have informed members that I have written to you personally for clarifications. If you read carefully through all the threads, you will see I have actually been trying to push your product as a viable alternative for many of our members hoi are looking for a DAC with a reasonable price. . But when I read these reports, I was immediately disturbed.

And I must say, I am not satisfied with the answers I have received from you. I have again written to you on this point.

At the end of the day, I will post our email conversation verbatim here so members can draw their own conclusion. . I have absolutely no issues with you or your product. I just want our members to be happy they are buying a good and reliable product, and one they can be happy using. That is the ultimate objective, is it not?

Cheers

May I point out that those pictures were posted in posted on Jun. 15th, 2007? When I started my business I had to protect mu intellectual rights and was not prepared to divulge any information with regards to the components I used.

However, I bear no ill will on anyone:). I am quite accustomed to negative reporting on my DAC.

Beresford TC-7510 review whathifi.com
What Is Inside A Berefsord TC-7510 MK6/3 DAC - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

StanleyB

Appreciate your clarification and your working with Venkat on this. I am quite sure there would be a fair few on this forum who would be interested in your solution - including myself - and would be grateful to you for providing further clarification on the points raised.

Thanks Stan.
It has surely improved my listening experience. My friends did come back impressed by you and your work.
As for doing the mod, sure one of these day. For now, why mess with something that is working perfectly fine. :)

~dich

I remember your friend well:). I hope you are enjoying my DAC. If you know anyone with GOOD electronics and soldering skills, why not try out my MOD21 at http://www.beresford.me/Downloads/Mod21.pdf

Stanley Beresford

Its opamp based. So performance will be good but never top of the line. High end equipment never use opamps.

hmmm..opamps can sound good..especially the OPA627 ones...You have heard my DIY DAC..sure there are grounds for improvement like using BJT, FETs or even tubes...but i think these opamps do a hell of a job..

The opamps are used probably for filtering (in oversamplng DACs) and for buffering..

In the product that saurabh is referring to the opamp is being used for the headphone ot section which while might sound decent is no means high end...

Try to find a stand alone DAC and a separate amp/headamp

Last edited:
Thats why I said... it can sound good but never top of the line. For the very best sound you need a discrete output stage or a passive one or a tube. Opamps are always a compromise.

Thats why I said... it can sound good but never top of the line. For the very best sound you need a discrete output stage or a passive one or a tube. Opamps are always a compromise.

Can you back up that claim, or are you merely repeating the opinions expressed by some people on the internet? Maybe some data from the text books from your years of studying at a technical university?

What are the performance and distortion data of the transistors used in a discrete stage, compared to the same data and performance in an opamp for instance?

StanleyB

Thanks Stan.
It has surely improved my listening experience. My friends did come back impressed by you and your work.
As for doing the mod, sure one of these day. For now, why mess with something that is working perfectly fine. :)

~dich
Well, you might be pleased to know that I am putting the finishing touches to the 2009 version, which will also include a USB option. My UK beta testers have now finished all their tests, and the artwork for the case has also been agreed on by the forum members at The Art of Sound Forum - Powered by vBulletin . That's the site where I hang out most of the time and hijack high-end gear from fellow members in order to do my R&D. I also borrow NAIM equipment from the guys on the Naim forum, where I have many customers who use my DAC alongside their 5000 CD5x CD player.

StanleyB

Hmm.. i don't know about the tube..everyone has their own tastes..i have come to love audio gear regardless of the technology they use...

I think there are better improvements to be seen with shunt regulators(or better regulation in general), better PCB design, clock rather than using a BJT output stage..There are some really good opamps out there..

And there are DACs that will bring out that difference...i think it all comes down to a matter of convenience, diminishing returns and personal taste above all as to which is better.

Opamps are used in the biggest of brand names..Jeff Rowland even had amps and probably still does made using chip amps seling for thousands of dollars..which i think are basically based on opamps

Opamps are too good of a thing in the electronic industry, audiophile or not to be ignored...

Last edited:
Can you back up that claim, or are you merely repeating the opinions expressed by some people on the internet? Maybe some data from the text books from your years of studying at a technical university?

What are the performance and distortion data of the transistors used in a discrete stage, compared to the same data and performance in an opamp for instance?

StanleyB

I'm sorry if I ruffled a few feathers here. I'm not an electronics engineer. But the little I know about opamps, there's always tonnes of NFB involved to get them to have a manageable gain. While technically NFB reduces noise, we all know what excess NFB can do to the sound in the real world. Frankly to tell you the truth, I've heard quite a few opamp based designs and have never really been impressed by any of them. They either sound grainy at the top or lack the bass heft one would expect out of a good source or both. There's a reason no one other than Benchmark uses an opamp output stage in their best designs.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back