CES 2010 news and rumours-LED based 3DTVs,Project Natal,Intel i3,netbooks & more

Gfreeman

The world's largest consumer electronics finally kicks off in a few hours.
Thought i'd share some of the initial news and rumours.

1. Samsung is definitely going 3D big time . They will be launching their LED based 3DTVs(b6500,b7000 and B9000) along with LCD based 3DTVs(B750) . New Plasma models coded b6500,b7000 and b8000 will also make it to markets..not sure if they would be 3D.

A 3D blu ray player from Samsung the BD-C6900 along with probably non 3D players( BD-C6500,BD-C7500 and BD-C5500) will also be introduced later this year
Samsung will also introduce Samsung Apps allowing access to Twitter and other sites on their TVs
Check out the below link from their newsroom

Samsung Showcases the Future of Home Entertainment and Beyond at CES 2010 | Web 2.0 Journal

3D TVs from Panasonic,Sony and LG will also make it to the show

2. Project Natal- Microsoft's gaming technology applied to the XBOX without controllers and using
just the human body (similar i think to one of the wii implementations) will also find its way to markets later this year(Nov)

Here is a link to a few videos showcasing project Natal
Xbox.com | Project Natal

3. Toshiba's Cell engine based LCD with LED backlighting and a 3TB hard drive dedicated to recording programs

4. Intel's nehalem architecture based dual core processors i3 530 and i5 (661,650,660 and 670)

5. Plenty of netbooks from companies like HP,DELL and the smaller likes

Infact Netbooks(smaller versions of notebooks) and mobiles are expected to eat into Intel's profits significantly in the personal computing market in the coming few years
Check out today's times article as to why Intel is concerned

6. Skype will now be coming to on Panaonsic and LG TVs in 2010

7. Seagate will be releasing USB Version 3.0 drives coupled with PCIe based cards with a theoretical maximum of 4.8Gbps compared to 480Mbps on a typical USB 2.0

The show obviously means a lot to people who are eagerly waiting to make consumer electronics purchases this year.
So please feel free to update the above list

Last edited:
The only thing I am interested in is this Notion Ink smartpad comes with Tegra, aims to be first Pixel Qi device -- Engadget

Made in India. Hopefully it will have a android app for ssh client, samba client, RDP and VNC client. Then I can control my HTPC media player using this thing as well surf the net and "preview" videos and mail etc etc sitting in bed .. :licklips:

Edit: I have already emailed them requesting spdif-out and usb-on-the-go. This way it can become a storage expandable audiophile media player. Dunno if they will implement it or not though.

Expected price is 15K INR.

Cheers

Project natal, is something I am looking forward to, infact for a year now. 3D TVs somehow does not excite me at all.....

Expected price is 15K INR.
Cheers

Where did you get this expected price of 15K INR for this device??? I seriously doubt this price. Anyway Nokia N900 is also somethig like this with more online and office features.

Project natal, is something I am looking forward to, infact for a year now. 3D TVs somehow does not excite me at all.....

If it can only do something creative in Games and smart use of the technology, Unlike the Wii :p

Personally I'm awaiting the Apple's event - Hopefully the iSlate or Tablet is released.

First android-based tablet pc for india

No Nokia for me. I want NVidia 9400m with tegra and Android apps for linux interfacing :)

Cheers

Thanks for the link and introduction to this really promising gadget for a price of 15K. Android is definately something to look for. lets see how this is launched. I'd admit the gadget looks worth keeping an eye on its real time performance when launched.

If it can only do something creative in Games and smart use of the technology, Unlike the Wii :p

Personally I'm awaiting the Apple's event - Hopefully the iSlate or Tablet is released.

lol yea wii's innovation stopped at some point.... anyway, it did paved the way for future interphase technology.
For all the demos/reviewes and videos I have seen Project Natal does looks pretty amazing not particulartly on the gaming front but also to be able to controll your entertainment/communication through casual voice commands and gestures.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link and introduction to this really promising gadget for a price of 15K. Android is definately something to look for. lets see how this is launched. I'd admit the gadget looks worth keeping an eye on its real time performance when launched.

lol yea wii's innovation stopped at some point.... anyway, it did paved the way for future interphase technology.
For all the demos/reviewes and videos I have seen Project Natal does looks pretty amazing not particulartly on the gaming front but also to be able to controll your entertainment/communication through casual voice commands and gestures.

Wii made huge sucess because it was able to pull in all non-games into the market. However it wasn't anything new - If you remember PS2 eye had the features of sensing motion control. Having said that though there are couple of good games on Wii but the novelty factor is very poor.

I did see a video about controlling TV using gestures. May be it's me just thinking that remote is far better, Don't get me wrong since I've so much used to use controllers & remote it's very difficult to adapt. Regarding voice commands it's going to be very challenging, Only if Natal can be trained to our voice & accent it's going to work. I've failed couple of time using voice dialing on several phone because it just can't work out my accent :rolleyes:

. Regarding voice commands it's going to be very challenging, Only if Natal can be trained to our voice & accent it's going to work. I've failed couple of time using voice dialing on several phone because it just can't work out my accent :rolleyes:

I am sure Natal would be using a far superior algorithm for voice recogonation than the casual/uaual method used on phones and Voice Recogination softwares. While looking at the reviews it does not seem natal facing any problem while communication with the user..... I am in office right now, so cant post a you tube link, but I will post some when I reach home that you can just ponder.

A few youtube videos

Sony LX900 3D Edge Lit LED TV on Display

YouTube - CES 2010: New BraviaLX900 3D TV

AVS Forum's Interview with Gregg from Panasonic USA. Notice how he shrugs off the last question on the Pioneer Kuro. Obviously that is wat matters to a lot of us

YouTube - CES 2010 - Panasonic 3D and is kuro back in spirit?

And check this out. See who is interviewing Jermaine Anderson from Samsung on their new LED TVs. :eek:hyeah: She almost makes a fool out him at the end

YouTube - CES 2010 Samsung shows new LED HDTVs to Jo Garcia

Last edited:
Denon Electronics has introduced the S-5BD BD/Receiver, an innovative single-component home entertainment solution that combines an audiophile grade 5.1-channel surround sound receiver with an advanced Profile 2.0 Blu-ray player.suggested retail price of $1,799

img_195562_denon_450x360.jpg

Tech2.com India > CES 2010: Denon Intros S-5BD BD Player and AV Receiver > News on Home Theater Systems HiFi & TV

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back