cheapest way to achieve 5.1 surround sound?

kewlresist

hello,

i have a basic setup of LG 42" LED tv and a tata sky hd stb. what will be the cheapest way to achieve 5.1 surround sound for mentioned setup. i want the surround mostly for watching movies in hd channels which have dolby digital encoding. i am not an audiophile but i have a keen ear for sound/music. yamaha yht-299 caught my eye in this forum, but would it be going overboard if i go with it? or should i go with home theater packages like philips, lg, samsung, etc. ?? bugdet is the biggest concern.

thanks in advance

Last edited:
For Tatasky HD dolby purposes, the Cheapest way possible to get true 5.1 surround sound is a combo of two devices: Will cost you ~6K in aggregate. For any lower budget, true 5.1 is just NOT possible.

1) Zebronics 5 1 Speaker Model NO 6100 With FM Remote USB AND SD Card | eBay

2) Cable Dolby Digital AC3 DTS PRO Optical TO Analog 5 1 LR Audio Converter Decoder | eBay

With 2) in place, instead of 1) You can opt for any better multimedia speaker package and the cost will accordingly increase to 10-12K.

The next alternative which will eliminate the need of both 1) and 2) are are the HTIBs (Home theatre in a box) from Philips/Sony/Samsung/LGs - Many of these have optical input at the back which solves the purpose for Tsky. Budget - 10-25K.

The final and quality wise the most preferable option is AVR based system using HDMI connection from Tsky, which will start from 25K and goes to infinity depending upon model /speaker combos. The Yamaha YHT 299 along with similar systems from Onkyo/Denon/Marantz/Pioneer fall in this category.

Last edited:
Most important thing to remember is that your money is precious. You can't afford to make a mistake since you can't buy again !
So "take plenty of time" and research this well and 'listen' to some equivalent systems before plonking down your money !
And by research I also mean you take notes. After hearing several systems you might not remember what each system was like ! Your notes will jog your memory.
Enjoy !:)

For Tatasky HD dolby purposes, the Cheapest way possible to get true 5.1 surround sound is a combo of two devices: Will cost you ~6K in aggregate. For any lower budget, true 5.1 is just NOT possible.

2) Cable Dolby Digital AC3 DTS PRO Optical TO Analog 5 1 LR Audio Converter Decoder | eBay

With 2) in place, instead of 1) You can opt for any better multimedia speaker package and the cost will accordingly increase to 10-12K.

The next alternative which will eliminate the need of both 1) and 2) are are the HTIBs (Home theatre in a box) from Philips/Sony/Samsung/LGs - Many of these have optical input at the back which solves the purpose for Tsky. Budget - 10-25K.

The final and quality wise the most preferable option is AVR based system using HDMI connection from Tsky, which will start from 25K and goes to infinity depending upon model /speaker combos. The Yamaha YHT 299 along with similar systems from Onkyo/Denon/Marantz/Pioneer fall in this category.

thanks for your detailed reply! really appreciate :)

Most important thing to remember is that your money is precious. You can't afford to make a mistake since you can't buy again !
So "take plenty of time" and research this well and 'listen' to some equivalent systems before plonking down your money !
And by research I also mean you take notes. After hearing several systems you might not remember what each system was like ! Your notes will jog your memory.
Enjoy !:)

thank you for your reply. i do spend a lot of time in research but that is mostly online because i live a fairly small city. it is not feasible here to find demo of many specialized equipments. most i can find are the HTIBs from common brands like philips/sony/etc...

thanks for your detailed reply! much appreciated. i think HTIB is quite feasible option for me. can you suggest a good one in 15-20k range?

@kewalresist.
Maybe am out of times but is tatasky even broadcasting in 5.1 mode???
Even if it DOES broadcast, how often are such programs aired?

@kewalresist.
Maybe am out of times but is tatasky even broadcasting in 5.1 mode???
Even if it DOES broadcast, how often are such programs aired?

i am not sure but i have noticed "dolby digital" displayed on every hd channel... i am more interested in watching english movies with 5.1 surround and i suppose those channels have 5.1 sound.. still need to be sure though

Last edited:
Both are good ones. Personally i would choose Sony. It is latest and looks like custom made for DTH and has 2 HDMI inputs (vs. only optical/coaxial in logitech). Almost serves as an AVR. However choose sony if and only if u cannot exceed budget. just at 5-10K extra u can get excellent future proof AVR based systems from yamaha/onkyo etc

can you suggest any yamaha/onkyo/any other brand avr based system which are 5-10k more than the sony one? i couldn't find any.

i am still confused... logitech or sony?? or yht-299??

edit:

i came across this feature rich blu ray player Pioneer BDP-170 which has pretty decent audio decoders. which speaker can i use with it to have a decent 5.1 setup?

Last edited:
Dolby Digital also refers to 2 channel audio.
Dolby Digital just means that audio is encoded in a digital format that is from Dolby Labs.
If it says Dolby Surround or DD5.1 then you are sure.

Now, if its just 2 channels you could look into buying an audio device that can upmix from 2 to 5.1 channels. Thats called Dolby ProLogic IIx.
You should first check the various audio out options available in your stb. Then buy accordingly.

Simplest case is to buy a 5.1 speaker system that takes RCA input.
More complicated but better is 5.1 speaker system that will accept optical in and will upmix. I think thats in Edifier C6 and Edifier S-550. Also LogitechZ-550. But you should confirm.

Blu-ray players etc is an even more complicated option...& will need amplification for speakers.

Dolby Digital just means that audio is encoded in a digital format that is from Dolby Labs.

Now, if its just 2 channels you could look into buying an audio device that can upmix from 2 to 5.1 channels. Thats called Dolby ProLogic IIx.
You should first check the various audio out options available in your stb. Then buy accordingly.

More complicated but better is 5.1 speaker system that will accept optical in and will upmix. I think thats in Edifier C6 and Edifier S-550. Also LogitechZ-550. But you should confirm.

Blu-ray players etc is an even more complicated option...& will need amplification for speakers.

that makes sense... i think i'll go with the sony one...

can you suggest any yamaha/onkyo/any other brand avr based system which are 5-10k more than the sony one? i couldn't find any.

I would you suggest you to go for Onkyo 3700 (around 30k) or Yamaha 299 (Around the same price).

I am sure that all HD channels on Tata Sky have 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound because I am using it. Even Live cricket matches on HD channel are in surround sound where the commentary is usually coming from the surround speakers. I would suggest the OP to go for a surround sound system and preferably not Sony/Philips/Samsung/LG because they don't last half as long as HTIB's with proper AVRs do nor do they sound as good.

I had auditioned sony ht iv300 and found it to be good. I had almost purchased it also but later cancelled and went for yht 196. if you are planning for a better option, go for yamaha yht 299 (priced around 32k). I personally ended up buying yamaha yht 196 (20K) after finding excellent sound quality while auditioning. yht 299 is more expensive and comes at around 32k. It got better support for formats like dts ma, dts true hd compared to yht 196.Reliance digital has an offer where they give Bluray player + yht 299 at around 37K. Onkyo/Pioneer also have better entry level HTiB models at around 22-28k. Audition them before going just by reviews.

I would you suggest you to go for Onkyo 3700 (around 30k) or Yamaha 299 (Around the same price).

I am sure that all HD channels on Tata Sky have 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound because I am using it. Even Live cricket matches on HD channel are in surround sound where the commentary is usually coming from the surround speakers. I would suggest the OP to go for a surround sound system and preferably not Sony/Philips/Samsung/LG because they don't last half as long as HTIB's with proper AVRs do nor do they sound as good.

I had auditioned sony ht iv300 and found it to be good. I had almost purchased it also but later cancelled and went for yht 196. if you are planning for a better option, go for yamaha yht 299 (priced around 32k). I personally ended up buying yamaha yht 196 (20K) after finding excellent sound quality while auditioning. yht 299 is more expensive and comes at around 32k. It got better support for formats like dts ma, dts true hd compared to yht 196.Reliance digital has an offer where they give Bluray player + yht 299 at around 37K. Onkyo/Pioneer also have better entry level HTiB models at around 22-28k. Audition them before going just by reviews.

i agree with both of your points of view but the problem is that i live in a fairly small city and i cannot audition yamaha/onkyo/denon etc... we do have reliance digital here but they cater to more common consumer products. the nearest city which has yamaha showroom is about 150km from here. i am not sure if i'll get denon/onkyo/any other specialized brand there.

another problem is that my budget is quite tight and i would prefer to get emi payment option...

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back