Choose your favourite speaker

aludum

What are your favourite speakers amongst the following ? Where can I audition them in Kolkata?

One more thing, can we mount bookshelves on wall?

Polk Lsi, Rti A1, A3, A5, A7, Tsx 220B
Kef Q100, Q300, Q500 , iQ 30
Wharfedale Diamond 220, 230, 155, 10.1, 10.2, 10.4
Dali Zensor 1, 3, 5, 7
Dali Lektor 1 & 2, ikon 2
Q Acoustics Concept 20, 2020i, 2050i
Monitor Audio BR2 & RS1 & RX1
Tannoy Mercury v1i, v4i,
Tannoy Revolution XT6F
B&W 685 S2
Mordaunt Short Aviano 1 & 2,
Mezzo 1 & 2
Focal 706V
Dynaudio DM 2/6 & 2/7 & Excite X12
Quad 11L2 & 12L2
PSB Image B6, Alpha B1, Synchrony Two B
Klipsh RB-61, RB-81
Infinity Primus

Aludum

It all depends on what type of music you listen to.
For me Cadence Avita and Tannoy DC6
They sound best in my livng room & bedroom setup.

It depends on the type of sound you like, the type of music you listen to, the chain i.e. the source, amplifier, cables etc.
The search of the posts and threads would lead you to excellent pointers but ultimately it is you who has to listen and take a call as hearing is subjective to a great extent. You can shortlist certain speakers which are available in your town and take a demo. Pl be sure to carry your own music for your demo. Further you have to keep in mind the budget for the speakers.

Dear Aludum,
Are you seriously going to listen all of them and choose one pair out!
That's a big job! Are these speakers in similar price range?

I feel going by budget limitation -> size limitation -> audition availability will be practical.

When you say choose your favourite speaker, will you be gifting us the speaker we choose? Are there any price limits on the choice? Also will you be shipping to our house or do we need to take care of the logistics?

Polk and Kef at ProFx, Gariahat.

Wharfdale, Quad and PSB at Watt Effects, Southern Avenue.

Tannoy at Digital Acoustics, Maddox Square.

DALI and Mordaunt Short at SKS Traders, near Motor Vehicles.

Focal at Ace Audio(?) Purna Das Road.

Dynaudio, Q Acoustics, Monitor Audio, B&W at Harmonie, near Hindustan Sweets Alipore.

When you say choose your favourite speaker, will you be gifting us the speaker we choose? Are there any price limits on the choice? Also will you be shipping to our house or do we need to take care of the logistics?

No.
Since I can't walk properly after surgery, therefore I need to make a short list of the speakers and visit fewer shops. So I am asking for your opinions, i.e. which are the ones that I should audition.

Polk and Kef at ProFx, Gariahat.

Wharfdale, Quad and PSB at Watt Effects, Southern Avenue.

Tannoy at Digital Acoustics, Maddox Square.

DALI and Mordaunt Short at SKS Traders, near Motor Vehicles.

Focal at Ace Audio(?) Purna Das Road.

Dynaudio, Q Acoustics, Monitor Audio, B&W at Harmonie, near Hindustan Sweets Alipore.

Thanks for giving the addresses of the shops. Which are the ones do you recommend for a small room?

Can I wall mount bookshelf speakers?

I feel going by budget limitation -> size limitation -> audition availability will be practical.

Budget is 50k,

size is limited. Actually, I want to wall-mount bookshelves. If not possible, then I have to put them on cabinet or buy the stands.

Now can you tell me which are the ones that left out?

I don't think its a good idea to wall mount BS speakers. What are the other links in the chain? Source, amplification ityadi?

Get the stands from FM Magma. He ships to Calcutta.

Last edited:
I think you can try placing it on the wall and still you will have good imaging. Take care about the cabinet vibration end up as chattering with wall.
You need to try and tune.
I unfortunately am clueless about such branded cabinet speakers.
If I were you, I would have auditioned all, make a score card against pre-decided performance criteria. Then select the best suitable one.
If you want to screen out initial bad ones with the help of others opinion, I feel you are doing wrong. 50K is a big amount (to me at least), it better be spent on owner's satisfaction quotient alone.

I don't think its a good idea to wall mount BS speakers. What are the other links in the chain? Source, amplification ityadi?

Get the stands from FM Magma. He ships to Calcutta.

Source is pc; blue-ray rips, flac, 320kbps mp3
Listen to Rahman songs, pop etc

I have decided to buy these:-
AVR - Denon x1100w

Subwoofer - SVS pb-1000 or sb-1000

Forget the Dyns if you're getting that x1100w.

Look at the Focals. And add Usher S520 to your list.

Forget the Dyns if you're getting that x1100w.

Look at the Focals. And add Usher S520 to your list.

Why are you telling me to remove Dyna speakers from my list if I'll buy x-1100w?

Where will i find Usher?

Can you tell me the prices of the speakers so that I can bargain at the shop ?

Dear Today i went to ProFX Gariahut.

Go for KEF Q100 and Q300 for small room.
But need Amp and Good Player.
I feel Really good.

But Q100 is too good.

You can go there.

Thanks,

What amp, dac, receiver etc are you going to pair your speakers with? Do you already have the other components other than the speakers or will you be buying them later. If later then fine, else make sure you consider what would synergize with your existing gear.

For a small room you may go for Bookshelf speakers.. Dali can do a great job and you can also consider to add a sub. Decision is finally yours. Take a demo and then choose.

What amp, dac, receiver etc are you going to pair your speakers with? Do you already have the other components other than the speakers or will you be buying them later. If later then fine, else make sure you consider what would synergize with your existing gear.

Source is pc; blue-ray rips, flac, 320kbps mp3
Listen to Rahman songs, pop etc

I have decided to buy these:-
AVR - Denon x1100w

Subwoofer - SVS pb-1000 or sb-1000

[Hii,

Go for Focal 706V. I am using this since last 4 Month. It's amazing. Bass quality is really great. U can also try KEF Q 300. It's better detailed. But overall performance go for Focal. It's my personal opinion.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back