Chord 2Qute V/S ExaSound E22

Rahul even if we listen today Exa is sounding much better than what you heard. Please note every thing was new power and pre amp and Exa DAC . Specially RCA output has about 5 hours of running. But the only unit well run was Chord Cute.
After you left we heard some great DSD sound from Exa and some great analogue sound from my new Lehman phono stage. It was really outstanding. I wish you were there.
My request don't get upset and carried away by those 15 minutes.
These 2 DAC are in different league and will request you to hear Exa12 and Cute and few more in UK. Take opinion of dealer who is selling both these DACs

I had a chance to compare SQ output from both my Oppo 105 with inbuilt Sabre DAC and Chord 2Qute.

With 1V output difference, there is noticeable difference in volume levels. But when I repeated the test with volume increased at AMP to match that of the 2Qute output level, still I could find better dynamics/ body to the music. Not sure if this is a strong indication of 2Qute being a better DAC though unless we do more comprehensive tests :)

I had a chance to compare SQ output from both my Oppo 105 with inbuilt Sabre DAC and Chord 2Qute.

With 1V output difference, there is noticeable difference in volume levels. But when I repeated the test with volume increased at AMP to match that of the 2Qute output level, still I could find better dynamics/ body to the music. Not sure if this is a strong indication of 2Qute being a better DAC though unless we do more comprehensive tests :)

I am not certain but aren't the 105 and the Chord at roughly similar price points? Whereas the Oppo is a disc player of multiple formats and the Chord is a dedicated DAC, so I would think the Chord would be a better DAC any day, level matched or not.

Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
You are right Sidvee. I reasoned the same and took the plunge to buy :) OFC am yet to convince myself completely that it sounds 'significantly' better!

Rahul I still think what you heard was difference between 2v and 3v. I agree cute is a very good DAC but still you can't compare DAC in 15 minutes. I will still say you better compare more DAC and specially Exa12 when you are in UK.
EXA is sold with 30 days money back guarantee in USA and Canada and no one will sell their products with 30 days money back guarantee unless they are pretty sure about outstanding quality of their product as compared to rivals in their price range and much above.
But if you like Chord Cute than that is the best DAC for you. Because ultimately it doesn't matter what reviewers say or I or anyone else say. You are the best judge for your liking and taste.
Exa is preferred DAC by many high end exhibits in Audio shows in USA.
I am feeling guilty for may be you sold your DAC on my recommendation of Exa. But I still hold my ground and we can compare again after 2 weeks or so.
Exa can also be used directly with power amplifier eliminating need of a preamplifier which is a big advantage.

Sir, no doubt there would be differences and I did mention that it may be due to the 3V output but for me the difference was not huge. Also sir, you have a reference level system with massive Avant Garde Duos and the reference Primaluna pre-power working in a very open, nicely damped room. I have a mid level bookshelf speaker with an entry level integrated amplifier working in a small closed boxy room with glass windows and not a lot of damping...

So if the differences were small with reference speakers, amplifiers and a super room, in my room I doubt if anyone would be able to make out any difference between the two DACs. Also Chord stresses that their DAC works very well with regular 16 bit recordings and since I do not listen to any of the audiophile recording CDs, it makes sense to stick with it....

The best part of all is that the Chord is substantially cheaper than even the E-12 (assuming the sound is the same as your E-22)...

I am grateful to you to allow me to hear both DACs in your reference system as I kept bothering you in the afternoons to hear the Exasound DAC. You have a museum in your house with the amps and the speakers and the amount of equipment you have heard has given you experience which we can all make use of....

Again I am not saying that the 2Qute is better but looking at the price, my system/room and the music I listen, the 2Qute is a very good deal for me....

Anyways as I mentioned before I haven't heard any of the units in question, so I will avoid further comments, I was only advising level matching to form a more informed opinion. I am noticing a lot of digital sources have higher output than industry standard 2v, so it becomes critical to take note of this. My own DAC, the Ayon skylla II has a switch for 3 settings of output level, and I prefer the lowest setting.
Cheers,
Sid

A higher output does make a difference to how we perceive sound but in the end we will listen to music at the same volume only as we have been doing generally.. So if a higher output/gain makes the sound better, more manufacturers should be doing it... If it degrades the sound, I can understand but if it makes us feel an improvement, it's a great thing to have...

Sir, no doubt there would be differences and I did mention that it may be due to the 3V output but for me the difference was not huge. Also sir, you have a reference level system with massive Avant Garde Duos and the reference Primaluna pre-power working in a very open, nicely damped room. I have a mid level bookshelf speaker with an entry level integrated amplifier working in a small closed boxy room with glass windows and not a lot of damping...

So if the differences were small with reference speakers, amplifiers and a super room, in my room I doubt if anyone would be able to make out any difference between the two DACs. Also Chord stresses that their DAC works very well with regular 16 bit recordings and since I do not listen to any of the audiophile recording CDs, it makes sense to stick with it....

The best part of all is that the Chord is substantially cheaper than even the E-12 (assuming the sound is the same as your E-22)...

I am grateful to you to allow me to hear both DACs in your reference system as I kept bothering you in the afternoons to hear the Exasound DAC. You have a museum in your house with the amps and the speakers and the amount of equipment you have heard has given you experience which we can all make use of....

Again I am not saying that the 2Qute is better but looking at the price, my system/room and the music I listen, the 2Qute is a very good deal for me....

What I am saying is that you have not heard the real difference as the E22 is still not optimised. In today's high end scenario do not expect a day and night difference in a $500 DAC and $5,000- DAC. Specially in digital sound reproduction things have really improved.
My only suggestion is you have made a mistake of selling your DAC (may be on my high praise of Exa) which you liked very much. Now you are without a DAC and you can buy any DAC of your choice and liking. Do not make a mistake a second time now based on 15 minutes hearing under not so optimised conditions and different specs.
Have a listen again and satisfy yourself fully.
But if you are so angry on your decision of selling Cute and have a special liking for this model than no body can stop you as you will be more happy with Cute.

I do not have same high opinion about Prima Luna which I just bought. And I told you this many times. But now my opinion is changing slowly as they are improving by the day. And what we heard after you left was much better on digital as well as analogue. And today it is even better.

Sir, I will take your advice and listen to the Exa-12 and I even want to hear the Schiit Yggy as well... Will try and get a listen and then take the decision...Will keep everyone posted...

And I am not angry at all...I have learnt a very important lesson - to be happy with what you have as there is no end to stuff and that I will have to work harder than what I am currently doing to buy the more expensive stuff....

You are right about the differences in DACs especially after a certain price point.. Will try and listen to as many DACs before I take my decision...

A higher output does make a difference to how we perceive sound but in the end we will listen to music at the same volume only as we have been doing generally.. So if a higher output/gain makes the sound better, more manufacturers should be doing it... If it degrades the sound, I can understand but if it makes us feel an improvement, it's a great thing to have...

Actually it is not as simple Panditji, infact a higher output in some systems will cause too much gain (especially in systems with a preamp) and will prevent the user to set the volume control at the preamplifier to a satisfactory level meaning small changes in volume knob will give large variations in sound level and there will be no setting where one can listen to music with all details without feeling it is too loud. So in such system high output level is not desirable at all. Also opposite is true if output level is too low than even turning the volume control to full will give very low level crushing details in music. So ultimately the output has to match each system to sound satisfactory at the level one likes to listen to. Usually higher end sources and preamps. have variable output and gain controls for this reason.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Hi Panditji

This might be slightly OT. But you could look at upgrading a piece of equipment from a slightly different perspective.

Once you find a piece of equipment whose sound you like, its very important that when you decide to upgrade this component, you need to narrow down the list to brands which share the same sound philosophy. This can be easily done by searching on the net. In this particular case, i have not heard the two dacs but i just read a few reviews of them. They are to begin with two different sounding dacs. My suggestion is identify dacs that share the sound philosophy of the Chord.

In most cases i have seen people moving from one dac to another because it does some things better but ultimately they lose out on some of the stuff they liked in the first dac:)

For example you like the Harbeth sound. So a natural upgrade would be the next level model in the Harbeth line or maybe a Spendor or Graham or some other brand cut from the same cloth. A Lowther or a B&W or a Tannoy would not be an upgrade option since each of these brands have a different sound signature, completely different from the Harbeths

Last edited:
A 15 minutes audition in any system is not good enough to come to any conclusion about any component.
Personal preferences, synergy, the capability of the dac to resolve varying types of music, how much the system makes you want to come home and listen to your music, how much it makes you discover new musicthe list can go on and on..It takes a while to understand the capabilites of any good gear. Short tests bring only certain obvious ( and large ) aspects of a component to the fore.

Short duration tests are like the blind testing protocol with random sampling of people with short bursts of music :eek:

Hi Rahul, hope you are doing well. I just visited the forum after many days. It was actually a shocker to read that you've already sold the Chord Dac. But then I get that you started this thread to save others from making such a choice.

I just hope that the notion - a more expensive DAC should be better than a lower priced DAC did not egg you on to sell off the Chord and make you want to buy the other one. Because I can safely say that for people like us who are not exposed to many reference grade products and also for being in the market like India, online reviews and the pricing does play a big role in making upgrade decisions.

I lived with my DAC for about 4 years or so and then a month ago I upgraded the DAC from a one board configuration to a 4 board model. It has certainly made it more analog like. I guess that is the purpose of a DAC.

Wish you luck for the next purchase.

Rahul after getting your verdict I got a bit worried and guilty so I talked to my dealer and Exa Sound about e22. They said to get best out of e22 give 300 hours.
It may still not be even 200 hours now but I am happy to report that today if you listen it will blow you away with its dynamics and huge soundstage. It is too good a DAC
Still please do not go by my words and audition as many DACs as in your list and read reviews and take dealers opinion before buying. E12 younger brother probably gives you same sound with less options and features

why so defensive ?

you like yours and he liked his ex..

dac.. :)

you want her younger brother to be liked too by him ;)

dac... ;)

Rahul after getting your verdict I got a bit worried and guilty so I talked to my dealer and Exa Sound about e22. They said to get best out of e22 give 300 hours.
It may still not be even 200 hours now but I am happy to report that today if you listen it will blow you away with its dynamics and huge soundstage. It is too good a DAC
Still please do not go by my words and audition as many DACs as in your list and read reviews and take dealers opinion before buying. E12 younger brother probably gives you same sound with less options and features

Hi Sir, checked with the UK dealer for Exasound but he does not stock the E-12 as he likes the E-22 himself. He did promise to get it for me on order though. So not possible for me to listen to the E-12 here...Although I did hear the Devialet 200 yesterday with the Harbeth SHL5+ , Magnepan .7 as well as the Devialet Phontom speakers.... Superb 2 hours I spent...

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back