Chord 2Qute V/S ExaSound E22

panditji

Finally compared the Chord 2Qute with a more expensive DAC - The Exasound E-22 in a fairly high performance system with Avant Garde Duo speakers and the new Primaluna Premium Dialogue pre-power amplifiers with a Mac Mini as a source playing music through HQ player software....

The Exasound was run in for about 100 hours and the 2Qute was about 4-5 months old... After about 45 mins where we played the same tracks through both DACs, it was clear that the 2Qute was equally good if not better than the Exasound. Now do bear in mind that the 2Qute has a higher output of 3V than most of the other DACs and maybe thats why it sounded better when it came to the detail extraction and the mid range sounded more open...

In short, the 2Qute for me seemed a clear winner especially when you look at the price difference - 995 GBP v/s $3500 USD .. Sure, the Exasound has more inputs and some extra features but as a USB DAC it was a clear winner.

Like an idiot, I sold my 2Qute to another FM and now will be ordering it again and will not be parting with it any time soon...

I was getting a good deal on a used Meitner MA-1 but did not actually wait for a comparison... I did not know that the 2Qute can hold it's own against more expensive DACs and also for my system and room, it is more than sufficient...Any spare cash (if any) would now go towards the SHL5+ and the room..

Atleast with minimum damage, I can put a full stop to my DAC upgraditis for quite sometime now...ALthough I would still love to hear the Schiit Yggy before I place the order, apparently nobody in the Delhi/NCR region has it or even a Gungnir for that matter...

Hi, Panditji

Please reveal your observation on Chord 2Qute vs Schiit Yggy .If its a significant upward movement from Chord 2Qute ( also with price point of view) please let me know.
I like(very much) your group buy call again.

Sir, I have not heard the Schiit Yggy and therefore cannot compare...I would love to hear it for myself as it is almost 70% more expensive than the 2Qute and therefore cannot buy blind...There are a few people who have compared the 2Qute to an Yggy and the results are not too conclusive - the standard conclusion is that both have their strengths and weaknesses which basically means people cannot make out much of a difference.. In such a case, it is better to order the cheaper one especially when the difference in price is substantial...
Had it been the same price or maybe 10-15% more expensive, I would have definitely ordered an Yggy.....

Does anyone know an Yggy owner in India ??? There are 2Qute owners in Bangalore, Hyderabad, Delhi/NCR and am sure someone can do a comparison... The 2Qute definitely betters the NAD M51 and the W4Sound DAC2 and some online reports state even betters the Schiit Gungnir and maybe the Gungnir MB...

Panditji, I appreciate your patient search for a good DAC for you system. At the same time, I am curious to know your intent in going beyond 2Qute. Were you missing some thing with 2Qute and the prompt for you to look for an alternative like Meitner MA-1 ? If you heard Meitner MA-1 and found it to have some thing more than 2Qute, I can understand in looking beyond 2Qute, but that seems not to be the case here. If you can throw some light on what you missed with 2Qute, it would be great (even if that is a subjective opinion).

the performance of the 2Qute maybe good in the other system but not in yours..??

if you were not happy initially with the 2qute in your system then there would be a reason..

IMO - try more dac's in your system and then assess.

The C7 is a "royal carpet " - plays everything without strain and so may resolve less than other speakers in a similar price bracket ??

maybe a change of speaker would do you good rather than a change of dac..

my 2 paisa..

:))

Guys nothing wrong in my system except the room to which I cannot make much change since it also doubles up as my living room.. I am sure you are aware of the limitations in making changes to the living room if you are married....

The only reason for looking at the Meitner MA-1 was greed as I am getting a used one abroad for about 2300 GBP (I am hoping I can bargain more). However I have not heard the Meitner and only read super things about it... But I had read super things about the Exasound as well and realised that the 2Qute is extremely good for it's price and that extra money I would be spending on a DAC could give me more returns if spent on a speaker... Hence a moment of madness... If the 2Qute can give me this performance at 995 GBP then I am willing to look for alternatives but at the same price point... I would love to compare the 2Qute with other high end DACs as well to reassure myself..

BTW, I did hear the Benchmark DAC 2 in my system before I had bought the 2Qute and did not like it..Maybe it was an issue with system matching but it sounded very harsh and therefore I returned it to the dealer...Tried the M2Tech Young also which sounded nice but I think the 2Qute was better at detail retrieval although I did not compare side by side..

have u tried bluesound node ?

its got wireless as well..

someone in delhi has it and it may be a good idea to give it a try as well..

the older version is for sale from FM Locomotive

regards

The only reason for looking at the Meitner MA-1 was greed as I am getting a used one abroad for about 2300 GBP (I am hoping I can bargain more). However I have not heard the Meitner and only read super things about it...

I understand your point of view, but the problem is also with the way any hi-fi gears are reviewed. Hope you don't mind me giving a suggestion - Unless you see some thing missing with your existing dac ( or you heard something more on a different dac), stick with it. The reviews are written in way that can hypnotize the readers. You must be already knowing this, but still wanted to share my thoughts :)

Once I compared my existing dac with another dac costing 3 times more than that. In the end, my ears couldn't pick any difference. Some will say that my system is not resolving and few may say that I haven't trained my ears to hear subtle difference. To me, they are mere speculations from their part. I must confess that the above dac comparison I made was not done in a controlled environment.:D

Anyway, since you are re-starting your search for a new DAC, I wish you success in get a good one that meets your expectations.

NOTE: By the way, I am not suggesting that DACs make no difference ;)

bhai

what are you trying to say ?

me dont understand circular logic..

:)

regards

:) Let me clarify. In my post, I mentioned that I couldn't hear any difference between the dac that I currently own and the dac costing 3 times more. I wanted panditji not to interpret it in a different way and so I added the NOTE.

:) Let me clarify. In my post, I mentioned that I couldn't hear any difference between the dac that I currently own and the dac costing 3 times more. I wanted panditji not to interpret it in a different way and so I added the NOTE.

assuming that price has a direct co-relation with the quality of the dac..

weather panditjis ( or anybodys ) ears can detect a change is a direct function of his hearing and the system resolving power besides the quality of source.

Nothing else.

When you added the last note and suggested that DAC's do make a difference - it was circular logic - atleast for me

no offence meant.

regards

Guys, I did not want to share this post because I knew I would look like a fool but maybe someone else will not make the same mistake as me... I am buying the Chord 2Qute again as I have learnt (albeit the hard way) that after a certain price point the differences are not too much. Therefore I will stick with the 2Qute and buying it again since I am going to the UK next week and therefore lost a small amount due to greed and stupidity...

And yes, this time it is going to be my last DAC (Oops, I said it again)..

Guys, I did not want to share this post because I knew I would look like a fool but maybe someone else will not make the same mistake as me

It is great that you did. I am sure it took a lot of courage to do it.
Thanks a lot.

Thanks for the sharing the information.Now i can fully concentrate in my pre - power and speaker section only. No more head breaking over my Chord 2 cute DAC.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back