Cited : Music Plagiarism!

TaureanBull

How often have we seen a blatant copy of music. As I widen my music interests I find new proofs.

We have several well known instances of copying western music e.g

Maine Pyar Kiya - I called to say I love you-Stevie Wonder (even the Lyrics :D)

Mere Rang mein (Maine Pyar Kiya) - Final Countdown (Europe)

Jo Jeet Wohi SIkander - Everything I do (opening Note)

I am sure there must be cases of copying music from regional movies to Hindi movies and vice versa.

Lets spot them! ;)

How often have we seen a blatant copy of music. As I widen my music interests I find new proofs.

We have several well known instances of copying western music e.g

Maine Pyar Kiya - I called to say I love you-Stevie Wonder (even the Lyrics :D)

Mere Rang mein (Maine Pyar Kiya) - Final Countdown (Europe)

Jo Jeet Wohi SIkander - Everything I do (opening Note)

I am sure there must be cases of copying music from regional movies to Hindi movies and vice versa.

Lets spot them! ;)

site that goes deeper in this issue :) u will be surprised at some of the entries ..
itwofs.com - chronicles of plagiarism in indian film music

Mil Gaya (Hum Kisise Kum Nahin) - Mamma Mia (ABBA)

Gupt Title Song (Gupt) - Deep Forest (Deep Forest)

Jab kisiki taraf Dil (Pyar toh hona hi tha) - Have you ever really loved a woman? (Bryan Adams)

Sochna Kya (Ghayal) - Lambada (Kaoma) - also supposedly lifted from the original composition by the Bolivian group Los Kjarkas. See the source here

Some of the GUPT song/music is the direct lift from the works by a Japanese musician, damn forgot his name!

Copying Hindi music by western musician :)) Kaliyon ka chaman song was used in a song by Addictive/Truthhurts!

there is a background score excerpt in 'lakshya' (during the ascent, etc.) that also can be heard in 'rock-on'. only, the music directors are the same 'Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy'.

Ek hasina thi - We as love by george benson.

There is a lot of plagiarism in english music industry also, its not specific to hindi movie music, they just choose to call it cover songs:lol:

the doors - gloria - original by van morrison.

all along the watchtower, done by many including hendrix, original by bob dylan

i am a king bee - done by lots of people including syd barrett (pink foyd), original by slim harpo. beautiful song, u gotta check it out.

apart from these, there are quite a few famous artists that have done songs by others e.g. led zeppelin, eric clapton, grateful dead etc....

There is a lot of plagiarism in english music industry also, its not specific to hindi movie music, they just choose to call it cover songs:lol:

To my knowledge, it is only plagiarism if it has been wrongfully copied or stolen. If an artist has correctly attributed the original artist or the source, it is not considered plagiarism.

Hence, a cover song or a remix is not plagiarism if proper permission and attribution has taken place.

Yes, it is there in the english music industry, but is a small fraction of what exists in bollywood music.

A little OT but interesting because 'inspiration' in this case seems to be moving from India to the West :)

In 1962 Satyajit Ray published a story called Bankubabur Bandhu in 'Sandesh'.In 1967 Ray wrote a script based on this story and tied up with Columbia Pictures for an Indo-American production starring Marlon Brando.Subsequently Ray discovered that his agent in Hollywood had copyrighted the film in his own name.Brando dropped out,Ray got disillusioned with Hollywood and the project was scrapped.

Copies of Ray's script kept floating around Hollywood for many years.Columbia Pictures made Close Encounters Of The Third Kind in the mid 70's with the screenplay being credited to Steven Spielberg and a few associates.In the early 80's Spielberg wrote and directed ET-The Extra Terrestrial.He said he got the idea for this film about a lonely boy and a lovable alien,from an imaginary friend he had created to console himself after his parent's divorce. Ray was of the opinion that neither of these films would have been possible without the script he had written.Steven Spielberg denied having come across Ray's script and claimed both films were original and in no way inspired by Ray's script.

Bollywood caught on,late as usual,when Rakesh Roshan was 'inspired' to make Koi Mil Gaya in 2003.

To my knowledge, it is only plagiarism if it has been wrongfully copied or stolen. If an artist has correctly attributed the original artist or the source, it is not considered plagiarism.

+1 to that.
A cover is unequivocal about who the original artist was and makes no bones about it. It is an accepted practice and perfectly legit, as the original songwriter's (or owner's) permission is first obtained.

Plagiarism on the other hand is lifting snatches of tune, lyric, etc from another song without even bothering to make it a variation of the original. And in extreme case, the whole damned song:lol:

The strangest lift I'd heard is Deep Purple's "Child In Time" intro showing up in a bollywood song (I don't even recall the name). Child In Time's intro is long-winded and self indulgent (even by Richie Blackmore's standard), and not exactly "pop" in melody. But inspire it did a Hindi film song! The first time I heard Europe's The Final Countdown tune in Maine Pyaar Kiya, I almost choked:sad:

A recent inspiration was an Anggun number showing up in a song by music director Pritam. Anggun, for those inclined, is an Indonesian-born French lady who sings in French and lives in France (a la Katie Melua who's Goergian born but lives in UK and sing in English) but also does the occasional Bahasa number.

Joshua

do the opening notes (listen to it for about 50 seconds) of Coltrane's Moment's Notice

YouTube - John Coltrane - Moment's Notice

remind you of a Md. Rafi song??

i don't remember the music director or the movie..but the lyrical refrain that coincides with the Coltrane tune is..

............aaaye baahar....

or was it just me who heard things....

OP ..what have you lead us into? music will surely never be the same again, now with all that vigilance we will bring into our listening..

Last edited:
do the opening notes (listen to it for about 50 seconds) of Coltrane's Moment's Notice
remind you of a Md. Rafi song??
............aaaye baahar....
yes from .23 second onwards it sounds like M.Rafi's "Aane se uske aaye bahar". But we did add birds chirping sound track at the start of the song :D
YouTube - Aane Se Uske Aaye Bahar (Jeene Ki Raah) - Mohd. Rafi
Seriously I dont think this is a copy. There are milllions of songs so some similarity can be there.
Everyone here is all the list of copied songs you wanted to know but were afraid to ask :lol:
Copied Hindi Songs

yes from .23 second onwards it sounds like M.Rafi's "Aane se uske aaye bahar". But we did add birds chirping sound track at the start of the song :D
YouTube - Aane Se Uske Aaye Bahar (Jeene Ki Raah) - Mohd. Rafi
Seriously I dont think this is a copy. There are milllions of songs so some similarity can be there.
Everyone here is all the list of copied songs you wanted to know but were afraid to ask :lol:
Copied Hindi Songs

if songs are based on the same classical root (is that called 'raag' please pardon me if i use an inaccurate terminology) some resemblance is expected...
but i think composers of the past (and sadly the present) perhaps felt (feel) that if tunes were lifted from obscure sources they would not be found..but it's a different story today...
of course would any discussion on plagiarism in music be complete without mention of Bappi Lahiri?....
however did you ever anticipate this???

The Telegraph - Calcutta : Frontpage

it discusses how Lahiri intended to sue Dr Dre for plagiarism...

if that bit of trivia doesn't whet your appetite for Bappi Da...here is an interview ....which the copy editors out of mischief or profound journalistic sense decided to leave it just the way Bappi Da said it..
The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Entertainment | ‘I am the father of the disco’

I am the father of the disco.
Paul McCartney khud bola, Any time you come to London I will do work with you.
You wear so much gold jewellery. What if the income tax guys come after you?
A very good question! I have got gold secure all the time, so income-tax people will not be able to take out the gold from my neck! Gold is my pehchaan. I am a gold man and you are all my golden fan.
Hilarious stuff there, all I can say is Bappi Da is a 'gem' of a person with 'golden' heart. :lol::lol::lol:

there is a background score excerpt in 'lakshya' (during the ascent, etc.) that also can be heard in 'rock-on'. only, the music directors are the same 'Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy'.
heyy thats not exactly plagiarism.
remember ye kali kali aankhen from baazigar???
listen to track jawani diwani thodi aag haiu thoda sa pani from earlier sharukh urmila flick chamatkar. an interlude has exactly same tune. many old examples could be found in bolly music score. as long as music director is same it aint plagiarism.
however, listen to the aaja aai bahar from rajkumar z opening. its a beethoven symphony. definitely plagiarism.
apart from these, there are quite a few famous artists that have done songs by others e.g. led zeppelin, eric clapton, grateful dead etc....

come togather is done by top of the genres namely beatles, michael jackson aerosmith et al.

think a distinction had to be made between covers and plagiarism...and yes parody..

plagiarism is a cheapshot done perhaps under the premise that the listeners are too dumb to find out...

covers are because the artist is moved, fired or inspired ..and in fact some covers take the original to new heights....for example to many listeners Brian Ferry's ( Roxy Music) version of Jealous Guy is an 'improvement' over Lenon...

parodies on the other hand are satirical takes on hits and obscure stuff alike...

weird al yankovic anyone?

Dailymotion - Weird Al Yankovic - Star Wars Parody - une vido Funny

^ Somebody said "Weird Al"? :)

Covers are like movie re-makes. Some introduce older music to new audience, some are adaptations to a whole new genre. Some good, rare few are better than the original and some remind us why the originals should be left alone.

Plagiarism is our film directors watching some Hollywood / Asian movies and then without rights, making a film as if they thought of the entire thing by themselves.

Parody is like Leslie Nielsen movies. I thought not many knew Weird Al :)

heyy thats not exactly plagiarism.
remember ye kali kali aankhen from baazigar???
listen to track jawani diwani thodi aag haiu thoda sa pani from earlier sharukh urmila flick chamatkar. an interlude has exactly same tune. many old examples could be found in bolly music score. as long as music director is same it aint plagiarism.

Ah, but "Jawaani diwani" is a straight lift off Boney M's "Bahama Mama"

think a distinction had to be made between covers and plagiarism...and yes parody..

plagiarism is a cheapshot done perhaps under the premise that the listeners are too dumb to find out...

covers are because the artist is moved, fired or inspired ..and in fact some covers take the original to new heights....for example to many listeners Brian Ferry's ( Roxy Music) version of Jealous Guy is an 'improvement' over Lenon...

parodies on the other hand are satirical takes on hits and obscure stuff alike...

Most importantly, in the case of covers and parodies, the original composer is credited and gets a share of the royalties.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back