Cited : Music Plagiarism!

off topic:
sorry OP...
but denizens of hifivision have you ever misinterpreted lyrics??...

for a long time i was under the impression that Marley's No Woman No Cry...was well No Woman No Cry...just recently i learned (and Wiki conforms it)..that it's No ...Woman...No Cry..-as in Nahi (no) aurat (woman) mat (no) ro (cry)..

also found out (though early enough) about Puff the Magic Dragon and Mother Mary....
kindly share your discoveries..

Some of the GUPT song/music is the direct lift from the works by a Japanese musician, damn forgot his name!

Apart from the Japanese lifts, the most famous lift in Gupt would be the main theme from Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells"

off topic:
sorry OP...

for a long time i was under the impression that Marley's No Woman No Cry...was well No Woman No Cry...just recently i learned (and Wiki conforms it)..that it's No ...Woman...No Cry..-as in Nahi (no) aurat (woman) mat (no) ro (cry)..

Haha yeah I had that misconception too..used to find it hilarious in that context that a woman (the lady from Fugees) sang it later.

I suppose plagiarism comes from people breaking copyrights and using illegally someone else's music and calling them their own.

Raagas and Western symphonies written more than 100 yrs back are not copyrighted as there is a limitation of time on the copyright.

So music inspired/taken from Bach or Mozart dont fall into the realm of plagiarism.

A news clip from NDTV:-

Bappi Lahiri has claimed credit for the success of pop diva Jennifer Lopez's latest track On The Floor saying that its tune is similar to his song Sochana Kya from the 1990 blockbuster Ghayal.

Lahiri Claims Credit For JLO's On The Floor

Nothing new with Bappi. He has also alleged that the 'Jai Ho' number by A.R Rahman is a copy of his 'Ramba Ho Ho'. :cool:

YouTube - Bappi Lahiri Accuses A R Rahman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIo7WScU6bw

Last edited:
1)tamma tamma (madhuri dixit) was inspired of an african number by Mory Kante
Amitabh's Jumma chumma was on the same tune.

2)aao milo chaley(Jab we met) is inspired from co Indonesian song( dont remember the name but it was there on youtube)

3)old song 'itna na mujhse tu pyar badha' sung by Lata Mangeshkar &Talat mehmud was based on a famous Mozart tune.

Last edited:
A news clip from NDTV:-

Bappi Lahiri has claimed credit for the success of pop diva Jennifer Lopez's latest track On The Floor saying that its tune is similar to his song Sochana Kya from the 1990 blockbuster Ghayal.

Lahiri Claims Credit For JLO's On The Floor

He says that he brought Lambada to india 19 years ago . Does he mean to say that he officially copied the tune from the original song(featuring a young boy and a girl dancing in some procession. Cant remember the song name but it was not english) ?

off topic:
sorry OP...

also found out (though early enough) about Puff the Magic Dragon and Mother Mary....
kindly share your discoveries..
Remembered something hilarious but off topic.
I was in a vernacular (marathi) school and was getting introduced to english songs when 'everything i do' by Brian Adams came. It starts with 'Look into my eyes'. We used to hear it as 'look into my as*'. We were confused big time till one of my friends told me what is the exact word.

Remembered something hilarious but off topic.
I was in a vernacular (marathi) school and was getting introduced to english songs when 'everything i do' by Brian Adams came. It starts with 'Look into my eyes'. We used to hear it as 'look into my as*'. We were confused big time till one of my friends told me what is the exact word.

:lol::eek:hyeah:

We can have a thread on misinterpretations!

amazed to find these are lifted...... inspired.

Gore Gore o baanke chore.... (Chico Chico Puerto Rico)

Chura Liya hai tumne jo.... (My love belgium)

Mehbooba Mehbooba....

Thandi Hawayen.... Rahe na rahe hum......... Saagar kinare dil ye pukare

Mere mehboob na jaa..... Meri awaaz suno pyar ka raaz suno....

Ay dil hai mushkil jeena hai yahan...... (My darling Clemantine)

Tamma tamma loge.... Chumma chumma de de.... (More canto Ye ke ye ke)

Ajeeb dastan hai yeh

Ek ladki bheegi bhagi si

Cheesecake from Dexter Gordon's Go...
does the opening melody sound uncannily like an old hindi song..or is that only me...

One must remember that Indian mastero's/Gurus have a lot of students in the west. Maybe a Raaga based inspiration for a western musician learning the complexities of Indian melodic structure ...?

--G0bble

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back