Cited : Music Plagiarism!

I was watching the movie 'The Thing' (2011) and a background music 'Who can it be now' felt familiar to me - 'Jane Do Jane Do' from Big B's Shahensha.

bol bacchan title song seems to be an amalgamation of 2 popular 70s/80s tunes. i cant remember the words to figure out which songs they are

Music Plagiarism has existed for more than a hundred years,it is there in every part of the world(except very rural areas).

Now because of the interweb we are exposed to so much information, hence when some one copies or gets inspired it becomes an bigger issue very fast than it was before the 80's.

Harrison v The Chiffons
One of the most famous cases of plagiarism is that former Beatle George Harrisons My Sweet Lord. Harrisons first solo single was a huge success. The song was a number one hit on both sides of the Atlantic in 1971 as well as Germany, Australia and Ireland. The song shot back to number one in the UK in 2002 after Harrisons death. The song was grounded in Harrisons new found faith and the Hindu God Krishna.

Shortly after its release the similarities between My Sweet Lord and The Chiffons Hes so Fine where noticed and a court battle ensued. The U.S. federal court decision in the case, known as Bright Tunes Music v. Harrisongs Music,decreed that Harrison was found to have unintentionally copied passages from the song. The legal wrangles went on for ten years with the settlement finally being dealt with in 1981. Harrison ended up $500,000 out of pocket as a result of his unintentional lift.

George Harrison My Sweet Lord - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpAcQrt8-SE&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:
Back