Clarity + bass

manan

Hi,

I'm a total newbie and would greatly appreciate some help:

I'm looking to upgrade my computer speakers.

I listen to a lot of rock -- ac/dc, deep purple, zeppelin -- so, I'm looking for something that offers both crystal clarity and gut wrenching, stomach churning bass.

After reading up a bit, I've shortlisted Edifier c3 and Logitech z2300. Which would be a better choice? Or, can I do better?

And more importantly, is there a shop in Delhi where I can get auditions?

These two seem to be available only in Nehru Place where it's almost impossible to try before buying.

Hi Manan,
Sorry for side-tracking your shortlisted choice, but can't help suggesting that for your musical preference a proper stereo amp + good bookshelf spkrs + Subwoofer is the way to go (your comp can act as audio source, considering your soundcard has reasonable sound quality). Min cost for this setup would be approx 45k.

However if you are tight on budget, then your shortlisted choice is right. Others can guide you on the final selection (no pers experience here)

Regds,

Hi,

I listen to a lot of rock -- ac/dc, deep purple, zeppelin -- so, I'm looking for something that offers both crystal clarity and gut wrenching, stomach churning bass.

After reading up a bit, I've shortlisted Edifier c3 and Logitech z2300. Which would be a better choice? Or, can I do better?

These two seem to be available only in Nehru Place where it's almost impossible to try before buying.

Sonosphere, the products Manan has mentioned are in the under 20,000INR budget, I dont think its possible to set up a stereo rig in that budget esp with a subwoofer.

I would say klipsch promedia 2.1 well suited for rock/metal.

Alternatively audio engine a5 + subwoofer upgrade later down the line would give you even more clarity.

Gobble, there is the 325th joke! Were you planning to serve us home made food when we planned to come to your place for auditions?
Sorry for the OT.

Op, if you are ok with used, try a norge 2060 with a pair of used floorstanders. Add a entry level polk/jamo sub later for loud, boomy bass.

Unfortunately, I'm on a budget.

The super emphasis on bass is because I made a mistake earlier while shopping for speakers for my car -- I kept on harping on clarity and got Rainbow Titanium, which, without a sub, sounded like a pair of transistors.

I don't listen at high volumes cause I stay in an apartment complex. But I love the thump. Ive been told AE without a sub aren't too satisfying in that department.

Since I have no way of auditioning, can you guys pls suggest the best option for me?

Manan "India" I feel is big country.
So where do you stay?
And what is your final budget?

Are you comforatble buying used items?
Any other requirements?

This is the speaker for you:
Home

Amazing bass ( I almost thought there is a subwoofer playing in that room) and good clarity.

@ hemantwaghe
sorry, I'm in New Delhi.

My budget's tight -- the c3 and z2300 that i'm looking at are both around 7k -- but i can go up to 15k max.

Ya, I'm open to buying used.

No other requirements -- just anything that makes Page, Bonham, Paice, et all sound the way they meant it to be.

@Dr.Bass
Any info on availability, pricing?

If you observe carefully, you will notice that there is no gut wrenching, stomach churning bass in the music you listen to. Its all mid and high frequencies.

BTW, I also have similar taste in music as yours and do not use a sub in my music system.

You wil be better off with a good set of speakers and an amp.

@Dr.Bass
Any info on availability, pricing?

I do not remember the price. I heard it at Singapore and was pretty impressed by what it did. I was told that it is built by Creek and Epos together. The amplification is Creek and Drivers by Epos. And you could really hear the class over other similar speakers like the Audioengine etal. The AE was also in that shop playing and it sounded garbage compared to the Aktimate.
Try getting the info from their website. I can give you the detail of the Singapore dealer if you need.

I do not remember the price. I heard it at Singapore and was pretty impressed by what it did. I was told that it is built by Creek and Epos together. The amplification is Creek and Drivers by Epos. And you could really hear the class over other similar speakers like the Audioengine etal. The AE was also in that shop playing and it sounded garbage compared to the Aktimate.
Try getting the info from their website. I can give you the detail of the Singapore dealer if you need.

Obviously look at the prices for aktimate.
US Prices $700 for the smaller model and $1000 for the bigger, should be even more expensive here.

You can also look at the Behringer Truth B2031A. This is an active speaker, so you won't even need an amplifier. This speaker is also built very well and is built to be a studio monitor so you will get accuracy, while it also has a long throw 8.75" woofer so you will get plenty of bass.

Caveat: I haven't heard this speaker personally, though I've had me eye on it for a while.

The best thing about this speaker? The price - you can get a pair for about $330. You can also look at the other Behringer Truth active monitors that are priced even lower. Alternately, you can also go for their passive non-powered monitors that are priced at about $150.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that at your price range, pro-quality monitor speakers (typically used in studios) might be a much better idea than some multimedia speaker as they're usually priced low but built for accuracy and also built tough.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that at your price range, pro-quality monitor speakers (typically used in studios) might be a much better idea than some multimedia speaker as they're usually priced low but built for accuracy and also built tough.

That is a problem !!!
Pro speakers are too accurate and would want good quality recordings to sound good. You give them Led Zep or Deep Purple, they will spit at you so hard that one would be out of the window in seconds. Not a good thing in this situation.
OP would need a forgiving speaker which can add some nice colors to his music and make it sound fun !!

That is a problem !!!
Pro speakers are too accurate and would want good quality recordings to sound good. You give them Led Zep or Deep Purple, they will spit at you so hard that one would be out of the window in seconds. Not a good thing in this situation.
OP would need a forgiving speaker which can add some nice colors to his music and make it sound fun !!

Thanks, I stand corrected, especially since I have not done a comparison of both classes of speakers.

Thanks, I stand corrected, especially since I have not done a comparison of both classes of speakers.

I have had a Dynaudio BM6 which is their studio range speaker using their contour series drivers and a Contour 1.3SE which is their domestic range speaker, in the same room with the same electronics. I learnt, there is a reason why they have a separate studio range and what a studio speaker sounds like.
Bringing them into home is not easy and should be done at ones own risk:).

Hi,

Hai Manan,

Can U up ur budget a little more (16k - 17.5k) then go for Logitech Z-5500. I think U must get all your sound requirements with this THX certified system.

Just goto any E-mall or Logitech Brand Stores for an audition.

I myself am going to buy it this Sept. & I also have audition from Kolkata E-mall at 'Logitech Brand Store'. It sound really great. It w'll blow U away.

+1 subha.. get urself a z-5500 if u do not want a custom setup and use it with digital coax or optical and they are good.. however other options wud be pairing

wharf 9.1 with norge in similar budget.. however u dont get a sub but good stereo music

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back