Class D Amplifier options in India

This whole experience is making me look at Class D amps more seriously.
Your conclusion does not seem logical. Yours is quite an isolated experience - and a good technician should be able to locate and address the problem. But how’s that a reason to go for class D? You seem to be assuming that such problem can happen within any amp and if you have class D, then you could keep it on forever without incurring the high electricity bill you incur right now. But then how many users have such a problem with an amp, whether class AB or D or any else? You seem to be basing your decision on an outlier event. It’s ok if you want to try class D for any other reason (including capital/operating cost), but not because you’ve decided that all amps need to be kept on or else will produce such hiss.

adakadavuley has not logged in forum since seven months. An email reminder from forum would probably alert him.
regards

In seriousness I speak. Hope all is well with him. i understand it is difficult for forum to send emails as distinguishing dormant account is difficult. But I think some international forums send unspecific general emails after one or two months to get their members back in forum.
regards

Your conclusion does not seem logical. Yours is quite an isolated experience - and a good technician should be able to locate and address the problem. But how’s that a reason to go for class D? You seem to be assuming that such problem can happen within any amp and if you have class D, then you could keep it on forever without incurring the high electricity bill you incur right now. But then how many users have such a problem with an amp, whether class AB or D or any else? You seem to be basing your decision on an outlier event. It’s ok if you want to try class D for any other reason (including capital/operating cost), but not because you’ve decided that all amps need to be kept on or else will produce such hiss.
1pt57x.jpg

Not at all. Was absolutely uninvested while writing. My only interest was to help see the OP the flaw in his logic (explained clearly above). Whether his next purchase is A/AB/D amp or he gets his current amp repaired is his decision and should be based in sound evaluation (including personal taste) and not the reason quoted (to save electricity bill if amp needs to be kept forever on to avoid hissing issues). If at all there was an emotion in my response, it was at the logic being used than the technologies involved.

You can buy SMSL Amps from headphonezone.

You can get the SMSL A300 for 18k.

For a lower budget, you buy the Aiyima A07 on amazon for 6.6k directly from Aiyima Audio.
Are you sure sir ?

Amazon
Sells this WITHOUT the 32v power supply module

That power supply brick is actually larger and heavier than the amp itself and forms the heart of the product

Without that power brick being included or trying to buy an after market one for extra
May not be very smart

Without that power brick being included or trying to buy an after market one for extra
May not be very smart
The Meanwell power supplies are available at reasonable prices in India. They are not in the laptop adapter like form factor though. I use the Meanwell LRS350-48 for my TPA3255 evaluation board. The output voltage is variable in a short range, you might be able to bring down the voltage of a 36V power supply to 32.

I agree Bobby

But
My point is why not just buy the a07 WITH tbe 32v power brick by aiyima itself from hifimart
For 2.5k more
When both are avaible as a package

Rather than trying to modify a meanwell and trying to save a small amount in the process also voiding warranty

Amazon
Sells this WITHOUT the 32v power supply module

That power supply brick is actually larger and heavier than the amp itself and forms the heart of the product

May not be very smart
I did not know that Amazon sells without power brick.
I agree with you that no point buying without power brick as that will be difficult to find.

But
My point is why not just buy the a07 WITH tbe 32v power brick by aiyima itself from hifimart
For 2.5k more

I was not aware of this. I thought a suitable power supply was not available at all

The Meanwell power supplies are available at reasonable prices in India. They are not in the laptop adapter like form factor though. I use the Meanwell LRS350-48 for my TPA3255 evaluation board. The output voltage is variable in a short range, you might be able to bring down the voltage of a 36V power supply to 32.
Brother can we use this Meanwell power supply as in the link below for the Aiyima A07 as direct plug and play. I have had this question lingering on for a long time but didn't know whom to ask, seeing your post I thought you would be the right one to ask.

Also how would we go on connecting this to the amp as there are so many terminals there ?

Brother can we use this Meanwell power supply as in the link below for the Aiyima A07 as direct plug and play.
Technically yes. However it is not plug and play. You will need a cable and barell jack connector for dc output. You input and output terminals of the Meanwell are close together in a single strip of screw terminals. The mains input and dc output should be wired appropriately. The LRS-350 is housed in a metal box, it is not recommended to leave it exposed for risk of electric shocks.

Technically yes. However it is not plug and play. You will need a cable and barell jack connector for dc output. You input and output terminals of the Meanwell are close together in a single strip of screw terminals. The mains input and dc output should be wired appropriately. The LRS-350 is housed in a metal box, it is not recommended to leave it exposed for risk of electric shocks.
Thankyou for your quick reply. I meant Plug and play as in without making any alterations to the power supply unit ( cable and barrell jack not included), Would i need a 3pin plug to connect this to the mains ? Also would a local electrician be able to wire this up for me ? ( As I'm not sure what goes in where, where does the wire from the plug go into the power supply and which wires go out to the barrell jack from the PS ?)
- So what's clear from your reply is that i could buy this PS and wire it up correctly and connect it to the Aiyima A07 without any issues ?
- Also would you suggest an acrylic enclosure for the PS or that a wooden one might be better off ? Kindly pardon my questions if you find them silly as I'm really unaware of electrical wiring and component matching.

Thankyou for your quick reply. I meant Plug and play as in without making any alterations to the power supply unit ( cable and barrell jack not included), Would i need a 3pin plug to connect this to the mains ? Also would a local electrician be able to wire this up for me ? ( As I'm not sure what goes in where, where does the wire from the plug go into the power supply and which wires go out to the barrell jack from the PS ?)
- So what's clear from your reply is that i could buy this PS and wire it up correctly and connect it to the Aiyima A07 without any issues ?
- Also would you suggest an acrylic enclosure for the PS or that a wooden one might be better off ? Kindly pardon my questions if you find them silly as I'm really unaware of electrical wiring and component matching.
Would also be great if any of the other FM's could help me out by pointing me in the right direction and if I'm doing the correct thing by buying this PS to use with the Aiyima A07 amp or kindly do suggest an alternative that i could go with. TIA to all as it would be a great help and i would not have to wonder endlessly if this might work or not.

Would also kindly request you help me with this doubt.....i have seen a few 48V 2.5A or 3A dc supply adapters , will these work too or it has to be the specific 48v 10A one itself ? Will using the other ones damage or blowup the amplifier ? It's too confusing if it has to be an exact match or even the nearest one would work just fine. It will be a great help if you or anyone else could shed some light on it please.

( As I'm not sure what goes in where, where does the wire from the plug go into the power supply and which wires go out to the barrell jack from the PS ?)
If you are not experienced in diy, avoid this. Go for the default power supply designed for the amplifier
Also would you suggest an acrylic enclosure for the PS or that a wooden one might be better off ? Kindly pardon my questions if you find them silly as I'm really unaware of electrical wiring and component matching.
It is your choice which material is used for the enclosure, I am using a metallic one.
i have seen a few 48V 2.5A or 3A dc supply adapters , will these work too or it has to be the specific 48v 10A one itself ?
The A07 recommended power supply is 36V. You should first check with Aiyima if it is safe to use a 48V power supply. You should always use a power supply of recommended rating by the manufacturer.

If you are not experienced in diy, avoid this. Go for the default power supply designed for the amplifier

It is your choice which material is used for the enclosure, I am using a metallic one.

The A07 recommended power supply is 36V. You should first check with Aiyima if it is safe to use a 48V power supply. You should always use a power supply of recommended rating by the manufacturer.
Thanks Indeed, Got your point about not going the DIY route and burning the house down😁. However i was asking about the 48V power supply as it's mentioned in Aiyimas website.The only reason they're not supplying it is bcoZ they have no BIS certification for it. Have attached the pics below for refrence.
My main concern however was - what's with the power ratings ,coz Aiyima suggests 48V 7.5A or 48V 10A, but the only ones I've found are 48V 2.5A or 3A. So my concern was - Is it fine to use the 48V 3A one instead of the 7.5A or does it have to be the exact same Ampere. ( Even the nearest matching Ampere would do just fine or it has to be precise ).
M not sure if m putting my question across in the right way, but i hope you get what I'm trying to get at.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221114-161051-169.png
    Screenshot_20221114-161051-169.png
    195.4 KB · Views: 11
So my concern was - Is it fine to use the 48V 3A one instead of the 7.5A or does it have to be the exact same Ampere. ( Even the nearest matching Ampere would do just fine or it has to be precise ).
At low power levels you may use a lower power rated power supply. However we will not really know how a lower rated power supply behave when more power is demanded by the amplifier. If you exceed the ratings of the power supply bad things may happen, including damaging your speakers and the amplifier

On the other hand it is perfectly safe to use a higher rated power supply with an amplifier that has a lower power rating. The amplifier will draw only what is required for it to function properly

Thanks Indeed, Got your point about not going the DIY route and burning the house down😁. However i was asking about the 48V power supply as it's mentioned in Aiyimas website.The only reason they're not supplying it is bcoZ they have no BIS certification for it. Have attached the pics below for refrence.
My main concern however was - what's with the power ratings ,coz Aiyima suggests 48V 7.5A or 48V 10A, but the only ones I've found are 48V 2.5A or 3A. So my concern was - Is it fine to use the 48V 3A one instead of the 7.5A or does it have to be the exact same Ampere. ( Even the nearest matching Ampere would do just fine or it has to be precise ).
M not sure if m putting my question across in the right way, but i hope you get what I'm trying to get at.
You must use the recommended Amps (7.5/10) or HIGHER, never lower. You can get them made to order. Ask an FM from your city.

I agree Bobby

But
For 2.5k more

Rather than trying to modify a meanwell and trying to save a small amount in the process also voiding warranty
Thanks Magma. I did not know that Hifimart sold Aiyima products :) For some reason, Aiyima has been left out from the list of Brands on their website. Hope Hifimart brings in the T9 soon!

Back