Classically based songs from New (2000’s) Hindi Films

• Thread starter Deleted member 15865
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15865

While everyone keeps lamenting over the loss of melody and class in modern Hindi films, there are some songs that counter the prevailing trend. Whether explicitly based in a particular raga or not, they have underpinnings of classical musical mores that pleases the discerning listener.

Let’s make this thread a treasure of such modern gems. To maintain the focus, let’s restrict it to song only from Hindi films post 2000. Where possible, please post the YouTube video and Tidal/Spotify link so that readers can quickly sample the song. Try and provide name of the singer and composer and if you know, the Raga it’s based on (not essential).

Let me begin with one from my a favourite movie of mine.

Kaise Sukh Soyein - Ankhon Dekhi (2014)
Singer: Ronkini Gupta
Film composer: Sagar Desai
based on Raga Suhag

Last edited by a moderator:
Great thread idea indeed, Sachin! :)
I have always wondered about classical based songs in modern Bollywood.
Hoping to get an extensive list in the coming days

Mohe Rang Do Lal - Bajirao Mastani (2016)
Singers: Pandit Birju Maharaj & Shreya Ghoshal
Mjusic: Sanjay Leela Bhansali
Based on Raga Bhupali

Mere Dholna Sun - Bhool Bhulaiyaa (2007)
Singer: Shreya Ghoshal
Mjusic: Pritam
Based on Raga Harikambhoji

Will need to hunt up more.

Great thread idea, Sachin :)

Jaag Ke Kati
Movie: Leela (2002)

Singer: Jagjit Singh
Music: Gulzar/Jagjit Singh
Based on Raag Khamaj

Mirzya soundtrack is one of my favorites from this decade

Aave Re Hitchki
Movie: Mirzya (2016)

Singer: Shankar Mahadevan, Mame Khan
Music: Gulzar/Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy
Based on Raag Durga (?) and folk

Kaaga Re
Singer: Kaushiki Chakraborty

Here's an all-time favorite of mine :)

Aasman Ke Paar
Movie: Rockford (2000)

Singer: Shankar Mahadevan
Music: Gulzar/Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy
Based on Raag Jog and Raag Kedar. The violin interlude in Carnatic classical is cut short in the video, but present on Spotify.

Last edited:
Wow, such delightful shares @Naturelover, @sandeepss, @Barun7, @kbhuvi! My apprehension whether the thread would be still-born is put to rest.

Keep them coming!

I’ve created this collaborative playlist on Spotify where I’d keep adding the songs in this thread so that anyone of us can enjoy an exclusive listening session. Please check if you are able to access (and add to) it.

Guys, help me with this. It's about distinguishing Sufi from Classical. I know there are overlaps between Sufi and Classical singing - a lot of Sufi singing is based in classical... one could with a stretch also say that Sufi is light classical - just like Bhajans, Tappa, Thumri etc. I see a lot of Hindi film songs in the last two decades are in Sufi style... many even what can be termed Sufi Rock. At what point does Sufi start deviating from Indian Classical and become a genre in itself? That's in general, and here, for this collection, should Sufi and Sufi rock based Hindi film songs count as classically based? Would like to understand more perspectives on this.

Added 9 more songs to the playlist (now 2+ hrs long :)). The Hey Ram soundtrack rendered by Pt. Ajoy Chakraborty is in Tamil as I couldn't find the Hindi version of the album on Spotify.

Wow, such delightful shares @Naturelover, @sandeepss, @Barun7, @kbhuvi! My apprehension whether the thread would be still-born is put to rest.

Keep them coming!

I’ve created this collaborative playlist on Spotify where I’d keep adding the songs in this thread so that anyone of us can enjoy an exclusive listening session. Please check if you are able to access (and add to) it.

Hi Sachin

Great that you created a playlist. Following now.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back