Clean and safe power supply for Home Theater

sumitpune

About two months back we had some problem with power supply to our house. It was fluctuating between 90 to 400V for almost 2 hours. Result - The power module of my Marantz SR5008 went bust. The spike guard did not help.

After I got it repaired I have put in a Belkin spike guard. Assuming its a better quality. But the problem now is that its too sensitive. It cuts of the supply on slightest of spike - close the microwave door, switch off a light, switch on a fan, etc.

People are now recommending to go in for an online (double conversion) UPS of minimum 1KVA. That is like Rs 17,000+

Is there any other options?

You can use a Transformer ups combination. A 10 kva transformer for the house and an offline ups from apc.

You can use a Transformer ups combination. A 10 kva transformer for the house and an offline ups from apc.

Thanks Audiodoc, When i mean other options I meant cheaper :eek:
This combination will easily exceed the cost of an online UPS.

Save up for the UPS, its totally worth it. I'm using a home UPS for the past 3-4 years. Runs a ton of things like PCs, router, home theater, lights, fans, etc. Its pure sine wave so power supply is continuous. I do have individual Belkin surge protectors for the equipment too.

I've also discarded with a PC and PJ specific UPS... used APC before, but it was extremely limited and gave like 20 mins backup. Now I've personally tested 9 hours plus uninterrupted backup and the entertainment including the Onkyo HT goes on.

PS: 17K is a good deal for what it offers... I paid 23K plus.

There are no short cuts here. I have learnt it the hard way though I was fortunate enough that my destroyed products were under warranty. Today I have 3 ups and 5 belkin gold series surge protectors.

With wide voltage swings 40 to 400V and lightening strikes using only one method will not protect you. The cheapest is a good quality circuit breaker to your houses electrical system. It will atleast save your equipment.

A good transformer and ups combo will let you operate too at wild voltage swings and if you have electronic equipment worth lacs then it is a healthy investment.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back