Clearaudio Concept Cartridge Replacement

terrible

So I busted the cartridge on my turntable trying to measure the tracking force; made real heavy weather of it. After measuring, I played a record and midway the song stopped playing while the record merrily revolved. It is my assumption that the stylus is broken. Keeping that I have ordered a Concept V2 MM Cartridge from SKS Traders. Now, I am wondering how do I replace it. If someone could point me towards someone who can do this for me at a charge here in Mumbai, I could go back to my records.

The other replacement question I have is, is it possible to use a cartridge from some other maker on this Concept Wood turntable? I had these cartridges in mind: Nagaoka MP110, Grado Black/Green or Golding Elektra. Does anyone have view on these cartridges?

Last edited:
So I busted the cartridge on my turntable trying to measure the tracking force; made real heavy weather of it. After measuring, I played a record and midway the song stopped playing while the record merrily revolved. It is my assumption that the stylus is broken. Keeping that I have ordered a Concept V2 MM Cartridge from SKS Traders. Now, I am wondering how do I replace it. If someone could point me towards someone who can do this for me at a charge, I could go back to my records.

The other replacement question I have is, is it possible to use a cartridge from some other maker on this Concept Wood turntable? I had these cartridges in mind: Nagaoka MP110, Grado Black/Green or Golding Elektra. Does anyone have view on these cartridges?

Now thats a terrible thing to do innit !

I do not think you can use the carts you have mentioned as your TT requires higher VTF Carts. Alternatively you can plan to get the broken stylus re-tipped.

So I busted the cartridge on my turntable trying to measure the tracking force; made real heavy weather of it. After measuring, I played a record and midway the song stopped playing while the record merrily revolved. It is my assumption that the stylus is broken. Keeping that I have ordered a Concept V2 MM Cartridge from SKS Traders. Now, I am wondering how do I replace it. If someone could point me towards someone who can do this for me at a charge here in Mumbai, I could go back to my records.

Post # 26 for my impression of Nagaoka MP 110.

Shine a torch on the stylus and inspect if it's indeed broken. If the cartridge is an MM, you ought to be able to buy the replacement stylus.

You can use cartridges of other make/model. The primary parameter/spec you should look for in the replacement cartridge is the max weight your tonearm can balance (the tonearm's counterweight will have some maximum cartridge weight it can balance). The second parameter you should check is the height of the replacement cartridge if your tonearm does not have height adjustment.

Now thats a terrible thing to do innit !

I do not think you can use the carts you have mentioned as your TT requires higher VTF Carts. Alternatively you can plan to get the broken stylus re-tipped.
Terrible, terrible...

Where could I get this re-tipped? The VTF for Concept is 2gm. And Nagaoka MP 110 is 1.8. Can't those little adjustments work? Not that I know how to make them work. Just asking.
You can use cartridges of other make/model. The primary parameter/spec you should look for in the replacement cartridge is the max weight your tonearm can balance (the tonearm's counterweight will have some maximum cartridge weight it can balance). The second parameter you should check is the height of the replacement cartridge if your tonearm does not have height adjustment.
The counterweight in Concept does not come with marked weightage so difficult to know I think. I don't know if it has height adjustment, and searched but could not find the answer.

But isn't there anyone in Mumbai who can repair this for me?

Last edited:
Terrible, terrible...

Where could I get this re-tipped? The VTF for Concept is 2gm. And Nagaoka MP 110 is 1.8. Can't those little adjustments work? Not that I know how to make them work. Just asking.

The counterweight in Concept does not come with marked weightage so difficult to know I think. I don't know if it has height adjustment, and searched but could not find the answer.

But isn't there anyone in Mumbai who can repair this for me?
Use this gauge to set up the tracking weight:

Finally found someone who could replace my cartridge while also checking VTF and azimuth with a proper measuring machine for the right and left channels. His name is Harsh Merchant and is available in Mumbai. If anyone wants someone knowledgeable to toil with their turntable, you could take his contact from me through PM.

Worked with Harsh before n now too. An absolute gem of a guy, very knowledgeable n to the point. Works magic with AV

Use this gauge to set up the tracking weight:

In my long duel to get the VTF of 1.5g, the Grado Prestige Blue prescribed VTF; I discovered that these scales don't work too well. While I had my cartridge changed and things measured, I still had an issue that my VTF was 2g. So I got myself this a Clearaudio Smart Stylus Tracking Force Gauge, and the measurement of the previous scale was all wrong, and because of that, even when I arrived at the correct anti-skate, I was getting distortions on highs. I am finally on 1.5g VTF and the correct anti-skate, and I highly recommend people use this if they have a Clearaudio Concept:

https://www.analogueseduction.net/s...raudio-smart-stylus-tracking-force-gauge.html

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back