Coming soon Thoress EHT Integrated

prem

I really like what the Croft Integrated R does in my system. Croft is a 45 watt push pull, zero feedback Class AB hybrid amp.

I was keen on exploring what a single ended, zero feedback Class A hybrid amp will do in my system.

My search led to the Thoress EHT integrated which was introduced late last year. Will be getting this amp soon :)

Thoress is a small boutique audio company from Germany. There is no information on EHT Integrated on their site. Hence linking an article which appeared in monoandstereo

The Thoress EHT monoblocs had been introduced a few years back and have a few reviews. The 6 moons review below will give you some idea of what the EHT monoblocs sound like

Yes, a lot of thought seems to have gone in the design of the amp. The circuit is as simple as simple can get.

As per the designer

The voltage gain is solely achieved in the 6J5GT stage. The voltage the loudspeaker "sees" is already there after the 6J5GT single-triode stage!!!

The MOSFET just serves a "transmitter" with low output resistance and thus high current capabilities. There is no gain added here.

In this sense the EHT principle is the PUREST form of a single-ended triode!

Last edited:
Yes, a lot of thought seems to have gone in the design of the amp. The circuit is as simple as simple can get.

As per the designer

The voltage gain is solely achieved in the 6J5GT stage. The voltage the loudspeaker "sees" is already there after the 6J5GT single-triode stage!!!

The MOSFET just serves a "transmitter" with low output resistance and thus high current capabilities. There is no gain added here.

In this sense the EHT principle is the PUREST form of a single-ended triode!
It is surely a very well thought of design.

Here's the man and his thoughts on designing amplifiers.

The Thoress is here. While it has the organic quality, bass and musicality of the Croft, it scores over the Croft on transparency, inner detail and micro dynamics. It’s very SET like sounding but with good bass

Looking forward to a detailed review/impressions @prem . When you have had sufficient time to listen and get used to it’s sound of course..,

Analogous, I don’t know how to review. The only criterion I use is how real does it sound and do I connect with the music. If it does these two, I am a happy guy.:)

Analogous, I don’t know how to review. The only criterion I use is how real does it sound and do I connect with the music. If it does these two, I am a happy guy.:)
your impressions of the sound and how it affects you will be great Prem.
Like others have remarked it’s a unusual and elegant design physically and has raised expectations of its performance.

Analogous, whenever you are in Mumbai, you can come listen and decide for yourself. I never get into any description. I have already mentioned that it’s organic, musical with good extremes, good inner detail and is quite transparent. Beyond that I don’t know what to say.:)

Thanks Nikhil. It’s decent sounding too:)

OVERVIEW
Thoress EHT Integrated Amplifier provides excellent drive capability for loudspeakers with medium to low efficiency and is suited for speakers with low impedance which may present a challenge for all-tube single-ended triode power amplifier models while offering the same level of ultimate sonic excellence obtainable from the later devices whithout involving costly exotic power tubes. The circuit is based on a unique minimalist single-ended zero-feedback vacuum tube MOSFET hybrid topology called EHT Topology after (E)intakt-(H)ybrid-(T)riode. The EHT topology consists of a single-ended triode gain stage (6J5GT tube) followed by a unity gain MOSFET output stage also operated in single- ended (class-A) mode with high idle current. The EHT topology allows to fully exploit and mate the most desirable characteristics of both the vacuum tube and solid state devices. The amplifier is built with meticuluos hand construction using point-to-point wiring, and much care has been taken in arranging each aspect of the internal construction to ensure low noise performance, ease of service and the highest reliability.

EHT PRINCIPLE
The EHT principle represents the PUREST form of all possible single-ended triode power amplifier configurations. Specifically, it can be shown that a higher output power can be more easily obtained with the EHT than with an all-tube amplification principle, without compromising sound quality. Simply, because in the former case the typical vacuum tube impedance matching output arrangement (power tube driven transformer with high step-down ratio) can be fully omited. Therefor the voltage swing required for a specific power output is up to 10 times lower for the EHT configuration compared to an all-tube topology, resulting in a proportional reduction of non-linear distortion. This crucial insight is the basis of the design of the EHT Integrated.

STABILITY
The amplifier operates with impeccable thermal stability and is fully short- proof at the output without the aid of any kind of (sound degrading) protection circuitry. Moreover, a switch-on delay module (another protective feature often found in commonly constructed solid state or hybrid amplifiers) is also omitted because no disturbing noise or harmfull signal is developed at the output when the amplifier is powered on or off.

MAINS TRANSFORMER
The EHT Integrated Amplifier is equipped with a proprietary mains transformer produced in-house to ensure the highest possible quality and reliability. This part features a highly elaborated dual-coil winding on a large C-core (tape wound cut core) and has been optimized for low body noise emission and low leakage. It is mounted to the amplifier chassis via isolation elements in order to eliminate even the slightest interference of residual transformer vibrations with the circuit.

FEATURES
 Vacuum Tube MOSFET Hybrid Integrated Amplifier with 16 watts of output power per channel into a 8 ohm speaker load.

 Ultimate sonic excellence on par with no-compromise all-tube single-ended triode amplifiers, yet without involving costly exotic power tubes.

 Unique minimalist zero-feedback EHT schematic: single-ended triode gain stage (6J5GT tube) driving a unity-gain MOSFET output stage operated in single-ended (class-A) mode with high idle current.

 Total avoidance of protection circuitry.

 4 inputs (RCA jacks) with equal gain manually selectable via rotary switch.

 Remote volume control via high grade motor driven dual potentiometer with excellent channel balance and low angle sensitivity.

 High grade electrolytic capacitors made in Germany in the power supply.

 Full hand construction, point-to-point wiring throughout.

 Low noise dual-coil C-Core mains transformer made in-house.

Analogous, whenever you are in Mumbai, you can come listen and decide for yourself. I never get into any description. I have already mentioned that it’s organic, musical with good extremes, good inner detail and is quite transparent. Beyond that I don’t know what to say.:)
Thanks for the kind invitation Prem. If I am in Mumbai I will definitely take the opportunity to do this.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back