Complete Home Theatre under 1,85,000

anuryry

Hello Everyone. This is my first post at 'hifivision'. Used to read a lot about the suggestions of all the Gurus like you at different forums here. And now, I need your help. I am about to set up a home theater for a room 10x14 in size.
Movies-60%
Music-40%

Came down at this:
TV - Sony KLV-40NX520 - 55000/-
Jamo C405 5 speakers - 60,000/-
Jamo Sub300 - 28,500/-
Denon 7.1 Amp (with Air play and multi-zoning) - 40,000/-

Also saw/heard Quadral Quintas 5000 - 5 speakers set 40k + woofer extra. It's a German brand, the set is 'made in Germany' but .....

But felt that still something's missing. I think I was going wrong in the above home theater component(s). Hence came here looking for help. Please help me choose a sensible and good system for the money.
Thanks

Forget Jamo, i have heard it twice and both times it failed to impress me big time. Also get a better subwoofer, will be better for future expansion. I cannot recommend any new speakers or sub as i am quite away from the newer products for long, i use polk and klispch, they are good. Other members can surely help.

A 10x14 room is relatively small. However if it is a pure HT room then .......

Stay away from floorstanders at all cost. Its like buying a SUV for a family of 2 and its used only in the city..

Get a pair of decent bookshelves. Preferably something that is front ported /sealed. avoid rear ported speakers as they have to placed away from a back wall to bring out the best in them
So bookshelves PSB, Polk RTI A1, KEF C series, Wharfedale diamond series, etc etc... . you have a of of options. Since 60% is based for movies.Audition forward sounding speakers such as Polk, Klipsch, KeF, Paradigm etc
for surrounds since it is a small room. it makes sense to go for dipolar instead of direct radiating speakrs. Direct radiating speakers who bring too much prominence on to itself in a small room. Dipole speakers make perfect sense to disappear into the background and not bring attention on to itself . it will create a more diffused sound.

in terms of Subs. velodyne Impact 10, Klipsch Sw 350/450 etc etc.

AVR denon 1912 is a good product , the 1612 can also be an option

Most important factor, if it is a dedicated HT room . concentrate a lot on sound damping, such as carpets , wall/ Ceiling Acoustic treatment. etc etc

Look at it this way .. you can buy speakers worth 5 lakhs but it will probably sound similar to a 1 lakh set of speakers if placed incorrectly and your room resonates certain frequencies.

Proper Setup is something that most people tend to ignore completely. proper
Speaker placement, Toe - in ,room treatment etc etc can make a word of difference and can even make a mid to low budget setup sound fantastic and probably better than a multi lakh system which is not setup properly.

and thats the reason why when u visit Hifi shops . Speakers tend to sound fantastic in their Acoustically treated rooms , However the same speakers at home tend to be a big let down.

So factor in Acoustic treatment for your HT room .. and trust me ... your mid budget HT setup will sound brilliant and probably way better than someone who has spent 5 lakhs and set it up incorrectly . .

I read in the forum that amplifier of Klipsch subwoofer is having quality issues.

You may consider Polk DSW series

Hello Everyone. This is my first post at 'hifivision'. Used to read a lot about the suggestions of all the Gurus like you at different forums here. And now, I need your help. I am about to set up a home theater for a room 10x14 in size.
Movies-60%
Music-40%

Came down at this:
TV - Sony KLV-40NX520 - 55000/-
Jamo C405 5 speakers - 60,000/-
Jamo Sub300 - 28,500/-
Denon 7.1 Amp (with Air play and multi-zoning) - 40,000/-

Also saw/heard Quadral Quintas 5000 - 5 speakers set 40k + woofer extra. It's a German brand, the set is 'made in Germany' but .....

But felt that still something's missing. I think I was going wrong in the above home theater component(s). Hence came here looking for help. Please help me choose a sensible and good system for the money.
Thanks

Looking at your budget I think you missed wires. For you room size and 7.1 speaker setup you need to reserve at least 10 to 15K for wires (excluding charges of setting the wires up)

Another fact, multizone receivers reuse the rear 2 speakers of 7.1 setup for zone 2.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. The room is going to be practically empty with just a couch and a wooden cupboard. But the room is not going to be setup with sound dampners, acoustics and other stuff. Somewhat i did not like the sound of Jamo though I am using a Jamo E7Sub with my Yamaha YSP 3000 DSP. The quality is not the same in the current generation of Jamo.
I specifically mentioned that I heard Quadral in FX Gurgaon, sounded good that too very much in budget. Any takes on that?

Hi ashishkesarwani
Thanks for the info but can you tell me what price can i expect for the set-up you suggested and where in Delhi can i find it ??

For your room size and requirement you can also consider a PSB Alpha or Image based setup along with either a Nad or Denon AVR.

If you choose Alpha then look at following configuration:
Fronts: PSB Alpha T1
Centre: PSB Alpha C1
Surrounds: PSB Alpha LR1
Subwoofer: PSB Sub Zero

AVR: NAD T748 or Denon 1912

Option 2:
Fronts: PSB Image T5 or T6
Centre: PSB Image C5
Surrounds: PSB Image B4
Subwoofer: PSB Subsonic 5i

AVR: NAD T748 or Denon 1912

Both the above options are great with movies as well as music and are rated highly by audiophiles through out the world for its fatigue free listening experience.

Hi ashishkesarwani
Thanks for the info but can you tell me what price can i expect for the set-up you suggested and where in Delhi can i find it ??

A 10x14 room is relatively small. However if it is a pure HT room then .......

Stay away from floorstanders at all cost. Its like buying a SUV for a family of 2 and its used only in the city..

Get a pair of decent bookshelves. Preferably something that is front ported /sealed. avoid rear ported speakers as they have to placed away from a back wall to bring out the best in them
So bookshelves PSB, Polk RTI A1, KEF C series, Wharfedale diamond series, etc etc... . you have a of of options. Since 60% is based for movies.Audition forward sounding speakers such as Polk, Klipsch, KeF, Paradigm etc
for surrounds since it is a small room. it makes sense to go for dipolar instead of direct radiating speakrs. Direct radiating speakers who bring too much prominence on to itself in a small room. Dipole speakers make perfect sense to disappear into the background and not bring attention on to itself . it will create a more diffused sound.

in terms of Subs. velodyne Impact 10, Klipsch Sw 350/450 etc etc.

AVR denon 1912 is a good product , the 1612 can also be an option

Most important factor, if it is a dedicated HT room . concentrate a lot on sound damping, such as carpets , wall/ Ceiling Acoustic treatment. etc etc

Look at it this way .. you can buy speakers worth 5 lakhs but it will probably sound similar to a 1 lakh set of speakers if placed incorrectly and your room resonates certain frequencies.

Proper Setup is something that most people tend to ignore completely. proper
Speaker placement, Toe - in ,room treatment etc etc can make a word of difference and can even make a mid to low budget setup sound fantastic and probably better than a multi lakh system which is not setup properly.

and thats the reason why when u visit Hifi shops . Speakers tend to sound fantastic in their Acoustically treated rooms , However the same speakers at home tend to be a big let down.

So factor in Acoustic treatment for your HT room .. and trust me ... your mid budget HT setup will sound brilliant and probably way better than someone who has spent 5 lakhs and set it up incorrectly . .
Thanks for all the reply. What amp should i go for if I go for a 5.1 set-up and also the model no.s of of the speakers with current price as per your info..can you mention?

Hi ashishkesarwani

The price for the complete Alpha setup with NAD AVR comes around 1.35L and with Image T5 with the same AVR it comes to 1.84L.

You can audition both the above mentioned setups at Lakozy Audio Imagination, Lajpat Nagar Showroom.

Last edited:
How do you find Mirage Prestige S8 subwoofer. My friend is selling one that is used for 18 months. PM me if interested.

anuryry,

If you fancy a smooth, easy on the ears kind of sound which has a velvet mid range with just the right amount of detail then my recommendation to you would be the PSB Image series.

I picked them after demo of many speakers over a period of 6 months. They are truly an all-rounder which do justice to all sorts of material. A excellent combo for your budget will be Image B6 + C5 + B5.

There are many other options in the market and you must demo different setups to find the kind of sound you like. So do look into your options. There is nothing like a demo.

For PSB demo contact Ashish @ Lakozy Delhi on 9910041260. They have a pretty well equipped demo room with the entire PSB range along with NAD etc.

Regards,

Rana

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back