Component Cable Problem

frnd08

I have my STB connected to my LCD via component cable. the picture i get via that is a bit brighter and in some cases appears a bit burnt out when compared to the same STB connected via the basic AV cable.

is it a problem of my component cable or is this a property of component cables?

Cannot say I have noted anything like that either with component or even HDMI. If anything PQ is much improved with sharper images and better depth, clarity and color overall. But I use both component/HDMI for DVDP to TV. My Tata Sky STB does not have component option.

BTW, which DTH do you use that gives component with the STB?

Cannot say I have noted anything like that either with component or even HDMI. If anything PQ is much improved with sharper images and better depth, clarity and color overall. But I use both component/HDMI for DVDP to TV. My Tata Sky STB does not have component option.

BTW, which DTH do you use that gives component with the STB?

Big TV does.

Big TV does.

Ok. Any other DTH apart from Big TV? I was interested in Big TV but lots of bad reviews for it in terms of customer service on this forum so went with Tata Sky instead. Have Dish TV for the parents and even that's good.

Ok. Any other DTH apart from Big TV? I was interested in Big TV but lots of bad reviews for it in terms of customer service on this forum so went with Tata Sky instead. Have Dish TV for the parents and even that's good.

Tata Sky plus does have a component option. apart from that, none.

btw, Big TV's customer service has improved by leaps and bounds and apart from that, the pic quality has drastically changed for the better.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried using a good component video cable instead of the standard OEM AV cable that comes with TataSky? Is there any perceptible difference?

I mean a component cable used with the standard AV sockets (Red/White/Yellow).

Has anyone tried using a good component video cable instead of the standard OEM AV cable that comes with TataSky? Is there any perceptible difference?

you cannot use a component cable with the standard audio sockets as the impedences don't match. Just use a audio cable red/white.

For Yellow (video) you can use one strand of the component cable but you wont see much difference.

Hi,
I have a BigTV DTH service and a Sony Bravia 37" LCD.

Firstly, the picture quality is really good, far better than anything else I have seen. The software is slow, but never encountered a serious problem with that. The only real complaint so far is that the picture has standard aspect ratio and NOT 16:9, so everything is a bit stretched out in the horizontal direction if we use the 'full' picture mode. But then, as far as I know no service provider is offering a 16:9 aspect ratio. Is anybody giving 16:9 pictures? Cannot comment on the customer service, because so far I did not need it.

Secondly, I have tried all connections possible between the BigTV STB and the TV. First, I tried the usual yellow video cable, then a low-priced (Rs 700-800) Bandridge component cable. Finally I am using a more expensive (Rs 2300) component cable from Profigold. The picture is the best, among the three connections, with the Profigold cable and generally always significantly better with a component cable than a video cable. There is less visible noise and the color depth increases noticeably.

Thirdly, with respect to the problem of frnd08:

1) which cable are you using? Can you somehow test the cable in another TV etc?

2) Are your picture settings of your LCD TV optimally done? What I noticed with my TV, out of the box everything was way too bright, had to drastically reduce almost everything, backlight, sharpness, color etc.

3) When you compare picture quality between a video cable and a component cable, you are actually using two different connection ports of the TV and each port's picture settings have to be the same for a fair comparison.

4) Is the BigTV dish oriented in the correct direction?

then a low-priced (Rs 700-800) Bandridge component cable. Finally I am using a more expensive (Rs 2300) component cable from Profigold.
A bit off topic here:
Where in Kolkata did you buy Bandridge and Profigold?

A bit off topic here:
Where in Kolkata did you buy Bandridge and Profigold?

I'll give you what you asked and more:

Bandridge and Profigold are available at the Promises Instruments at 45 Theatre Rd opposite Kalamandir auditorium. They have parking inside their premises. You also find some low end Monster and Audioquest cables there. For Monster generally, go to the Sonodyne Store at the South City Mall on the Anwar Shah Rd. For QED, go to ProFx at 16/2 Hindusthan Rd Parallel to Dover Lane), near Gariahat.

Hi,
Secondly, I have tried all connections possible between the BigTV STB and the TV. First, I tried the usual yellow video cable, then a low-priced (Rs 700-800) Bandridge component cable. Finally I am using a more expensive (Rs 2300) component cable from Profigold.

Which Profigold component cable do you use. Please mention the model no. Is it 1meter (PROV-3301) or 2meter (PROV-3302 2,0m).

High Definition Component Interconnect YUV (3x RCA male - 3x RCA male)

thanks

Last edited:
Hi Sulivan,

That cable is Profigold PGV332 1.5m.

On the packaging, it says

Importer: Nippon Enterprises South, Chennai
Month of import: January, 2008
MRP: Rs 2399 (incl.of all taxes and levies)

However, from the link Profigold PGV332 1.5m Component Video Cable, you see that the European price is around 22 Euros. So there is about 50% mark-up over the European price for customs/tax/whatever reasons.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back