Confused between LED TV Vs. Plasma

Plasma fanatics first deny, then start personal attacks and insults when presented with facts :)

we got your point chief, move on.

Why move on? do you own this forum? Never back down when you are right and have the facts in front of you.

Never argue with an idiot.

An idiot is ten times better than a fraud with malicious intent.

Hello everyone!

instead of creating a separate thread, i have now decided to post my query in this thread itself.

i want to suggest a TV to a friend of mine. his preference is gaming and TV-content viewing (in that order). budget is 70k. i have shortlisted a few models. would've liked to recommend a plasma to him, owing to its larger screen (in a budget where he would get a shorter screen in LED-LCD), and high refresh-rate. however, whats holding me back is the less-brightness issue of the plasmas (most probably due to thicker filter-screens). having a 50VT20D myself, i know how it can cripple details in a game. but i don't know the status of newer plasmas in this regard. samsung plasmas are said to have an almost LCD-like PQ (over-sharpness, good brightness, unnatural-seeming colour-tones, etc.), which favour gaming.
apart from that, i have in my mind panasonic's E6 as well. 3D is not a crucial determining factor to him. could someone please suggest whether newer plasmas (2013) have better brightness, favourable for gaming?! wish to suggest the best choice he could avail in his budget, be it plasma or LED-LCD.

Yea, agree with Dirac, as ultimately its the buyer decision, we can only guide him based on our experiences good or bad.

@TheSeeker For gaming you would need a set that has low lag, also E6 is good have been reading a lot in the forums about it. In 70k you can also go for 51F smart samsung plasma tv it is coming with free blu ray player and has a separate thread running on the forum for group buy.

Just read through the same and take a call, but as gaming is high priority do look at the lag.

Yea, agree with Dirac, as ultimately its the buyer decision, we can only guide him based on our experiences good or bad.

@TheSeeker For gaming you would need a set that has low lag, also E6 is good have been reading a lot in the forums about it. In 70k you can also go for 51F smart samsung plasma tv it is coming with free blu ray player and has a separate thread running on the forum for group buy.

Just read through the same and take a call, but as gaming is high priority do look at the lag.

yes, you are correct. i read that E6 has a low refresh-rate (ie, could be prone to motion-lag), but personal-experience of a few owners tells that they didn't notice it. can't say the same with respect to gaming on that TV. plasmas would be best for gaming for the very same reason! however, just this brightness thing is holding me back. thanks for suggesting the 51F from samsung! i will look into it.

yes, you are correct. i read that E6 has a low refresh-rate (ie, could be prone to motion-lag), but personal-experience of a few owners tells that they didn't notice it. can't say the same with respect to gaming on that TV. plasmas would be best for gaming for the very same reason! however, just this brightness thing is holding me back. thanks for suggesting the 51F from samsung! i will look into it.

Not sure how much this info can help here, but let me share.

After checking different 2013 LED tv's, in the price range of around 1lac.
Found the refresh rate is almost same as 2012 models on most of the tv's except Panasonic.

Sony w800 Is still having <=400mhz,
Samsung 6 Series also the same <=400mhz and
LG 6200 just 240mhz..

Panasonic E60 is running of 800mhz..
price is cheaper than above said brands

Why brands are not projecting this refresh rate on LED's, but in PLASMA that is the selling point. Particularly on Panasonic UT,ST as >2,000

how this refresh help to beat the competitors.

Plasma has sub field drive (600 Hz) or focused field drive (2000/2500 Hz). This is not to be confused with refresh rate. There is a cnet article somewhere.

Hello everyone..

I have been using Panasonic Plasma VT20 65" from 2 yrs post which it gave a defect of vertical lines and as it was in warranty I got it replaced with ST50 65" had option of VT30 too but went with ST50

Though in today's time all matters with individuals choice, area, money power etc

If one can shell out all then plasma is the choice, you can't compare PQ with any LED or LCD

If one is crazy for HD movies then would recommend plasma that too Panasonic VT or ST series.

Basic thumb rule....just get demo for yourself...your eyes are the best judge for you..

Cheers

With regards to input lag and response time, these are two different things.

Response time is the time it takes a pixel and its three RGB sub-pixels to switch from OFF to ON and vice versa. It is measured in milliseconds. Response time in plasma is near instantaneous (< 0.001 ms) because plasma is self lit. Same is the case with CRT. But in LCD panel, the technology is different and even the best LCD panels of today have the response time of 2 ms. High response time means slow image transition resulting in image blur, ghosting and other such visible image artifacts. As said, CRT and Plasma does not suffer from image blur/ghosting because of the very low (near zero) response time. In LCD (remember that LED TV is also an LCD panel), sometimes (but not always) ghosting can be seen especially in fast moving scenes, sports, actions, etc. But that does not mean LCD/LED TVs are very bad in this department.

Input lag is something else. Modern flat panel TVs (unlike CRTs of yesterday) require a lot of video processing before a frame can be displayed. So it takes some time lag from the time the signal is received till the time it is displayed. This is input lag. In case of normal TV/video, this does not matter at all. But in case of games this matters because there may be a significant delay between the instance when some button is pressed on the controller and the resulting action that is displayed on TV. If playing games are important then do take this into consideration. There is no firm pattern here that one TV is better than other - be it plasma or LCD/LED. Some TVs have the game mode in which they cut down on processing time by eliminating all picture enhancing processing. Input lags are never published so you will need to search the web and various review sites to find the deep technical details. http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57590644-221/input-lag-how-important-is-it/

That is a nice piece of clear information that you have presented @kix.
I also feel that only hardcore gamers(whose life depends on millisecond response times!) need to really worry about input lag.

Hello everyone..

I have been using Panasonic Plasma VT20 65" from 2 yrs post which it gave a defect of vertical lines and as it was in warranty I got it replaced with ST50 65" had option of VT30 too but went with ST50

Though in today's time all matters with individuals choice, area, money power etc

If one can shell out all then plasma is the choice, you can't compare PQ with any LED or LCD

If one is crazy for HD movies then would recommend plasma that too Panasonic VT or ST series.

Basic thumb rule....just get demo for yourself...your eyes are the best judge for you..

Cheers

Just in time saviour of panasonic's reputation ,from the onslaught of negetive opinions.;)

Just in time saviour of panasonic's reputation ,from the onslaught of negetive opinions.;)

don't you think that panasonic should be dolling out 'triluminous' sort of brilliant looking adverts for its' top plasma range? and add a note in the end: cheaper and bigger than other tvs? even bloody invoke a 'nothing official about it' slugfest? Shouldn't it behave less greedily and bring prices of it's top end plasmas a bit more closer to US pricing? throw in 'panel made in japan'? If they were to do that, Don't you think that a country where cheaper is better would become the prime market for panasonic's plasmas?

At times, i ponder if there is a mole in the panasonic india strategy department. heck, even their LED tvs are not well advertised.

And then, if FMs are facing problems with panasonic warranty ( it's not bad. it is just starting to be at par with other firms. and unpredictable..), they ought to speak up about it here. Other FMs deserve this knowledge to take informed decisions.

I am sure panasonic is watching this forum. just the other day, someone from there went all out on the buzzing thread. the message is clear. we want their products, with improved durability, availability and sustained quality after sales service.

the negative criticism has to be digested and worked on with the right attitude. Dumb posts about how LCD ( a technology older than plasma, to be precise) is better than human retina , let alone plasma are of relatively low value here. Consider this: a new bulk buy thread for ST60 mushroomed out of all this 'negativity'.

Yes. The Panasonic idiots don't even have a strategy maybe.
They sure must be watching this forum.
They may be too worried and busy right now about bringing out their 4k leds and oleds down the line.
But one thing is for sure. They produced the best of affordable plasmas like st60 and leds like e6 in 2013.
The zt60 is the pinnacle of their image processing technologies. It could be the ultimate reference tv against which the other tvs would be compared for years to come irrespective of the tv being led or 4k led or for that matter oled.
They need to gain more customer confidence and be more transparent in sharing their strategies.

Response time in modern lcd are very low and thats not the reason for blur,even if a lcd had a response time of less them 1ms ,one would still see blur in fast moving motion.This is due to the fact that lcd use sample and hold(google it) because of this our eyes will see that as blur. To combat this lcds use scanning backlight(a good implementation will not add SOE) mimicking a scanning CRT.

I wanted to purchase ST60 from Panasonic but now decided against it. Reasons:

1) No demo piece available. Purchasing 1 Lac + TV only reviews is risky specially when in India we don't have any return policy

2) Panasonic has clearly stated that they will exit Plasma business in 2014. Service will be impacted.

3) Dealers/Panasonic sales is not eager to sell Plasma. After numerous calls to their sales person, he agreed to book TV for 1.07.

4) I agree that plasma has better PQ than LED, but cutting edge LED like Sony W900 are quite good. Service is assured for next few years!

Service is assured for next few years!

quantify this 'few'? spare shelf life of electronics is very low these days. the only things that seem to come with a 10 year spares assurance are ifb washing machines etc.

i am not asking for 10 years life, but at least 2 years beyond warranty period?

It will vary from person to person and new technology being available. How soon we believe UHD (4K) will force us to switch current set of HDTV? I would say minimum of 4-5 years in India. For 3 year of shell life, we are talking of 3333 PM recurring cost.

Can the customer be assured of a good service when the company has openly declared of existing the Plasma business. Business is all about demand and when demand is not their why would company want to invest and take losses.

Panasonic may not deny to service faulty TV but either it would be delayed due to lack of component(s) or they may offer to replace the TV/Give back depreciated amount.

Please don't read too much into my opinion.
It is like this.
There are things that you buy guided by your heart than the mind.
And a tv is one such important thing for me. A beautiful picture that satisfies me is enough criteria to buy it. The visual joy I get out of it itself worth the investment.
I won't bother how much it may fetch on a resale.
I won't bother if somebody is shutting down business and what to do in case my panel goes caput.
After all I am spending close to a lakh and I know that the joy I am deriving is worth many times more than that.
We spend 30 to 40 lakhs on a piece of property which only gives us a pseudo joy. May be down the line I may get good returns (maybe) and do you know what I do with that? Would I import a best tv that is not available in india? No. I would again try to invest it.
Again I would be weighing pros and cons and after sales service of a 1.5 lakh tv that I intend to buy.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back