Confused between LED TV Vs. Plasma

Please don't read too much into my opinion.
It is like this.
There are things that you buy guided by your heart than the mind.
And a tv is one such important thing for me. A beautiful picture that satisfies me is enough criteria to buy it. The visual joy I get out of it itself worth the investment.
I won't bother how much it may fetch on a resale.
I won't bother if somebody is shutting down business and what to do in case my panel goes caput.
After all I am spending close to a lakh and I know that the joy I am deriving is worth many times more than that.
We spend 30 to 40 lakhs on a piece of property which only gives us a pseudo joy. May be down the line I may get good returns (maybe) and do you know what I do with that? Would I import a best tv that is not available in india? No. I would again try to invest it.
Again I would be weighing pros and cons and after sales service of a 1.5 lakh tv that I intend to buy.
My thoughts more or less. For me, the picture quality is of paramount importance. I was torn between Sony 46HX850 and Pana 50ST50 and decided that Pana is ahead of the race in many departments. I consider TV a depreciating asset. I thought that it would fetch with sub-5000 value after four-five years in the resale market - whether plasma is in the market or not. Even last year, I knew that plasma will die very soon. It is not dead yet but currently on life-support (at least in India). But till the time that I buy a new set, I want sheer joy.

15 months down the line, I am suffering from no issues. No stubborn image retention, no lines, no dead pixels, no banding (at least none that I can see), no artifacts, no ghosting/blurring, etc. Nothing but stunning picture. Touch wood. A few forum members visited my home and decided to buy plasma strictly based on what they saw. I helped Sonosphere to buy 60S60. Anyone interested can visit my home anytime. Sadly though, Panasonic is not interested in the plasma market in India - it is their loss and still a greater loss to videophiles. Samsung 64F8500 is the best TV and incredibly the most VFM TV available in India today - across all segments! It is again a pity that it is not available in the 50-51" size as most people find it either too costly or simply too big.

Stunning PQ is relative in electronic domain. With the pace in which the technology it is advancing, pristine products of today will become mediocre of tomorrow. Also, comparing electronic to property investment is futile. Property is an investment where as electronic gadgets are expenses. I haven't seen a single property which is worth 5% after 5 years:licklips:

I agree 100% that plasma has superior PQ. No LED can surpass that, because it is fundamentally build into the hardware. Software cannot mask hardware limitations, it can only minimize those. Why Pioneer Kuro is still unbeatable after so many years? It was not because of any electronic circuit but beacuse of hardware which was expensive to built.

Stunning PQ is relative in electronic domain. With the pace in which the technology it is advancing, pristine products of today will become mediocre of tomorrow. Also, comparing electronic to property investment is futile. Property is an investment where as electronic gadgets are expenses. I haven't seen a single property which is worth 5% after 5 years:licklips:

I agree 100% that plasma has superior PQ. No LED can surpass that, because it is fundamentally build into the hardware. Software cannot mask hardware limitations, it can only minimize those. Why Pioneer Kuro is still unbeatable after so many years? It was not because of any electronic circuit but beacuse of hardware which was expensive to built.

Pioneer kuro has been beaten finally by the legendary panasonic zt60.
Marrying and raising a family is the ultimate expense. Are we compromising there.
When I can spend lakhs on my children's education and their quality upbringing, which I know eventually will not fetch me a single rupee in the long run, can't I spend a lakh on a good picture quality that gives me present and clear joy without thinking about monetory returns on it?
That is the difference between indians and westeners.
They spend their money where their mouth is and we keep saving money for our children as if they can't earn it.
For us property is a status symbol.
For them buying a great tv like zt60 is the status symbol.
We can spend 18 lakh on a car for status which only transports us from point A to point B.
But we ask hundreds of questions about a 1 lakh rs quality tv which has the potential to transform us into a different world altogether...

:rolleyes:
Man..what has it got to do with age.
Let me prove you completely wrong that only that group of age guys will talk that way.
I am 38.

Pioneer kuro has been beaten finally by the legendary panasonic zt60.
Marrying and raising a family is the ultimate expense. Are we compromising there.
When I can spend lakhs on my children's education and their quality upbringing, which I know eventually will not fetch me a single rupee in the long run, can't I spend a lakh on a good picture quality that gives me present and clear joy without thinking about monetory returns on it?
That is the difference between indians and westeners.
They spend their money where their mouth is and we keep saving money for our children as if they can't earn it.
For us property is a status symbol.
For them buying a great tv like zt60 is the status symbol.
We can spend 18 lakh on a car for status which only transports us from point A to point B.
But we ask hundreds of questions about a 1 lakh rs quality tv which has the potential to transform us into a different world altogether...

Few Questions:

1) Why should we consider marriage and bringing children as an expense and not as a responsibility? Ultimately we took that step and nobody forced it on us. Also, do we feel that by spending few Lacs we will get quality education for kids? Money cannot buy knowledge! Marriage and upbringing child is an investment for a better future of the society.

2) Property can be an status symbol but it is also an sound financial investment for the rainy days.

3) No point in comparing with westerners. It's a materialist Society. Ours is different society with different values. Only 40% of White Americans enroll for higher education (graduation/post graduation) in US. It is not that what they do is always right.

4) I feel one should always ask questions even for 100 rupee item. Its our hard earned money. In your case, you may give higher priority to PQ and less to service related aspect. I may be opposite - giving more to service than PQ. So ultimately both decision are correct - arrived after proper analysis and logic. And since we all are humans. so not everything is logic. We all are passionate about something and some decisions are always from heart.

Last edited:
plasma vs lcd.....correct me if i am wrong.....
brightness-lcd wins....can be used in either very bright rooms or dark rooms after reducing the brightness...
color saturation-even....though i should say that colors are too mild on a samsung plasma......
sharpness-lcd wins....the images are much sharper than a plasma....
clarity-lcd wins...there is no dithering noise on a lcd....even mosquito noise is almost removed on a lcd when compared to plasma....so images are cleaner and clearer than the plasma....
natural images-plasma wins....i think this is one of the main reason
why people buy plasmas....lcd images are slightly less natural.....
black levels-plasma wins but new lcds are offering satisfying black levels....
viewing angle-plasma wins but if your tv is placed straight to you then no problem with a lcd...
standard definition-lcd wins..
image retention-lcd wins none of these on a lcd
PQ of low resolution videos-lcd wins

i feel one of the main reasons why lcd is more popular than plasmas is its clarity....a plasma image is too noisy....

Discussing plasma vs LCD is like discussing religion... Its matter of faith...Every side will have their own rational, facts and logic. Purchase what is best for your situation and priority.

Please don't read too much into my opinion.
It is like this.
There are things that you buy guided by your heart than the mind.
And a tv is one such important thing for me. A beautiful picture that satisfies me is enough criteria to buy it. The visual joy I get out of it itself worth the investment.
I won't bother how much it may fetch on a resale.
I won't bother if somebody is shutting down business and what to do in case my panel goes caput.
After all I am spending close to a lakh and I know that the joy I am deriving is worth many times more than that.
We spend 30 to 40 lakhs on a piece of property which only gives us a pseudo joy. May be down the line I may get good returns (maybe) and do you know what I do with that? Would I import a best tv that is not available in india? No. I would again try to invest it.
Again I would be weighing pros and cons and after sales service of a 1.5 lakh tv that I intend to buy.

I agree to some of the stuff you said, as we keep saving for the end, and in the end we are not in a condition to enjoy the savings as one gets old. So you should live your life and not save everything for the end, as no one knows when the end would come and what state it would be in.

Plasma Vs Lcd discussion would keep going on for ages. I only say ignorance is bliss for LCD owners. A lot of my friends sold their LCD's and switched to Plasma's after looking at my tv.

You should buy what you like and what suits your budget, do some research if required and one should not follow the salesman blindly as they all want to sell LCD and this has been going on for years.Most of the salesman i met still do not know about what plasma is and how it works,Still Plasma is selling and people are buying as its about PQ and those who know would buy a Plasma. We do not watch movie in a cinema theater with lights on, why is that do people wonder. Nope they would just comment that plasma is not good for bright rooms. Understanding the logic behind it and using the product properly has got a lot to do with how it behaves. An example that comes to mind is most of the car manufacturers ask to take care in the first 1000 kms of the engine run in and ask not to speed to much or pull fast in gears as the engine sets in and get conditioned. I look at the plasma the same way, for first 100 hours, use on low settings, keep pixel shift on and you would not have any issues. I haven't had any in the last 9 years.

Still people avoid plasma and talk about burn in, IR, heat, buzzing and all sorts of things. It's just about patience and taking care in the first 100 hours. Do that and you enjoy a lifelong of excellent PQ and tv. If you can't or have a very bright room and can't afford the 64f8500 then better to stick to LCD or LED and enjoy.

We are all here to share our experience and feedback to help a new buyer take the call, we can guide him, educate him and influence him. But in the end as a new buyer you should buy what's in your budget and what suits your eye best. As this won't be the last tv you buy and maybe next time you would switch to some other technology or brand. That's my 2 cents on it.

plasma vs lcd.....correct me if i am wrong.....
brightness-lcd wins....can be used in either very bright rooms or dark rooms after reducing the brightness...
color saturation-even....though i should say that colors are too mild on a samsung plasma......
sharpness-lcd wins....the images are much sharper than a plasma....
clarity-lcd wins...there is no dithering noise on a lcd....even mosquito noise is almost removed on a lcd when compared to plasma....so images are cleaner and clearer than the plasma....
natural images-plasma wins....i think this is one of the main reason
why people buy plasmas....lcd images are slightly less natural.....
black levels-plasma wins but new lcds are offering satisfying black levels....
viewing angle-plasma wins but if your tv is placed straight to you then no problem with a lcd...
standard definition-lcd wins..
image retention-lcd wins none of these on a lcd
PQ of low resolution videos-lcd wins

i feel one of the main reasons why lcd is more popular than plasmas is its clarity....a plasma image is too noisy....
Watch the below video carefully how a panasonic zt60 plasma fares w.r.t a w950 and the sammy f8500.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaJij64GnXs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

As ZT 60 is nowhere to be seen in India, that means the 64"8500 becomes the first choice. I wish Panasonic would have launched its ST60 big size 60" in India as then we would get more options to try out. S60 is too basic to compete with the Samsung 64".

If you want the best image quality, in both 2D and 3D, and arent bothered about the electricity cost, a plasma could be the way to go. Its also a good choice if you for some reason cant sit directly in front of your TV, thanks to the wide viewing angles.

If running costs, thinness and brightness are more important, an LED TV will appeal.

Watch the below video carefully how a panasonic zt60 plasma fares w.r.t a w950 and the sammy f8500.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaJij64GnXs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

agreed dirac plasmas have better picture quality than lcd because of its realistic images ,colors and deep black levels ....but to be frank i am waiting for a plasma with no dithering noise.....or any noise which will render a very clean and clear image which i think plasma manufacturers should consider in the future....because according to me clarity means clean and clear and not just clear....

I don't think there will ever be any plasma without noise. :( Although it's only noticeable when you watch from close distance.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back