??? confused

xavier

just found this great place with all the "audiophiles" at one place.

Need your help guys

live near Nagpur and would like to buy an av receiver with a speaker package budget 75-80 K

Shortlisted the Denon and marantz av receivers with speakers by Morduant Short 906 / polk - monitors, havent decided the satellites, and sub yet

Im limited by the availabilty of products in Nagpur

Please any suggestions,

Hi,

Let me take this opportunity to welcome you to this forum !! Hey Nagpur :D my Uncle stays there !!

Now coming to your query,I think you better add Yamaha in the AVR list and Wharfedale in the Speaker list !

The Diamond 8 series full package with SW150 will be very very good ! though We are yet to get any data regarding your tastes and choice for this set-up !

But with the said budget and general taste and idea in mind I've suggested ! please do post Us with your preference for this set-up (more movies,more music or 50-50) and also the room in which this will put ! and whats the minimum criteria that you are looking ??

Please do post the answers to get more refined and profound recommendations !!

Regards.

thanks soundsgreat

music movies 50 50
can look at yamaha avr too, but have limited dealers inNagpur. Cant audition for wharfedale, Jbl northrideges also not available

have a profx showroom thats about it - deals with polk, klipsch,morduant short, monitor thats it

dont want to buy without an audition

size of the room is about 14 x 12

thanks once again

xavier

Hi,

Ok good please do audition Yamaha 663 as its the decent model and has lot of stuff !

I understand your concerns,but tell you what,if you must then make a trip to Mumbai as both the distributors of Wharfedale and Yamaha sit there !! Am sure it will be very good trip and also since they are the importers and countrywide distributors you can get max discount which will not only cover the travelling expense but spare you some to buy any additional stuff like cables or something related to the set-up !

If your choice is 50-50 and the room size is 14x12 then better look at 9 series instead of 8 ! they are best suited for the dual role and will be real treat ! Am sure if you hear you'll know !!

Please do explore the option ! Am sure it can worked on !

Regards.

Hi,

Xavier very tough call !! 1908 is very good for movies but will fail a bit in music ! 4002 is great for music but will fail in movies !

I'd say check the 28 or 38 from Denon for your kind of usage !! they are good for 50-50 situation !!

Regards.

Hi soundsgreat, A doubt in my mind:
When we compare 2 amps side-by-side with everything else remaining same, we can make out a very slight difference, for example between 1908 & 4002. But irrespective of whichever one I choose to take home, it would be really dfficult for anyone, may be except a hardcore audiophile, to say whether one is sounding more musical than the other. I say this because Denon itself is considered more musical than Onkyo and Yamaha.
BTW xavier, Denon's latest 1909 has got very rave reviews in Sep month's What HiFi. So do consider 1909 instead of 1908.

Hi Xavier,:)
As soundsgreat said it indeed a very tough call.But I feel you'll be happy with the Denon 1909.Its got all the latest formats of decoding available.
lotsa great reviews for this model internationally.And if paired well will be Great for Music and Movies alike.Also look at the Onkyo 606.And if possible The Cambridge Audio Azur 540.:D
For speakers do audition the Polk RTi A5 or Polk RTi A8.The Denon's mactch well with these speakers.Also look at the Wharfedale 9.5 and the Klipsch Synergy F2.
And do Audition with lots of various music and movies that you like and pick the best one out of them.
Good Luck,
regards,
Samuel:cool:

...Denon's latest 1909 has got very rave reviews in Sep month's What HiFi. So do consider 1909 instead of 1908.

YES, and I??m saying this with out actually listening to one. Why because, with every new release any company for that matter would try to improve the last years model with newer/better technology/components to meet the customer requirements and fight competition.

Coming to the musicality of a component, it??s possible to subjectively [and objectively- read technically] differentiate two components for their specific traits. Usually people will take it for granted that since Marantz or Cambridge Audio or Arcam comes from a HiFi lineage, they would be musical by default. It is definitely true to an extent ?? for I felt Arcam gears to be really musical followed by CA and Marantz. But then Arcam is expensive! Now, how I feel the musicality factor is something that comes out of experience ?? I guess. There is nothing called ??golden ears? but there is always that years of listening that gives you a little edge; may be a perceived one but it always works for me ?? helping me differentiate between jazz and junk:rolleyes:

My suggestion of Denon is based on my personal experience of owning both Marantz and Denon components for years, and IMHO Denon fits the bill for a better AVR than Marantz, as of today!

Now, how I feel the musicality factor is something that comes out of experience ?? I guess. There is nothing called ??golden ears? but there is always that years of listening that gives you a little edge; may be a perceived one but it always works for me ?? helping me differentiate between jazz and junk:rolleyes:

You Just nailed it Unleash_me...;)
Kudos,
Samuel:cool:

thanks a ton anuragn, unleashme and samuel
atleast that settles the AVR for me

will look at the polk RTi and Klipsch synergy 2 series too, want the reference series but will have to look at the cost

xavier

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back