Confused - An aquaintance wants my Home theater setup for rent

Donivlapog

There is this guy whom I dont know a lot but just hi bye type who wants to dismantle my wall mounted speakers, and along with the AVR and sub, wants to be used in his house for a week and then he will return them and have them fixed at the exact same place. He asks me for a reasonable rental package for this exercise. First off I am not interested as he says he will do so from time to time where by I can recover some cost spent for the HT while he needent buy an HT setup for sparingly using them. Will Rs.10k be a good quote i can offer? And is this verbal overture by him even going to cover any damage if I dont get it in writing and just like a verbal assurance? Just confused to say the least!

Lucky you are to get an offer HT for rental. Make some money out of it and be prepared for the outcome whatever.

There is this guy whom I dont know a lot but just hi bye type who wants to dismantle my wall mounted speakers, and along with the AVR and sub, wants to be used in his house for a week and then he will return them and have them fixed at the exact same place. He asks me for a reasonable rental package for this exercise. First off I am not interested as he says he will do so from time to time where by I can recover some cost spent for the HT while he needent buy an HT setup for sparingly using them. Will Rs.10k be a good quote i can offer? And is this verbal overture by him even going to cover any damage if I dont get it in writing and just like a verbal assurance? Just confused to say the least!
As a kid we used to rent VCR's in the summer holidays, and have our cousins over for full night movie weekends. It was a lot of fun. This sounds very similar. As long as the guy agrees to replace any damaged component with a brand new like for like, I think its safe enough to proceed.

No way I will entertain such an offer. There is a very likely chance that gear will get dinked or scratched in this whole exercise if not worse. The fact that he has made this offer indicates (to me) that he is not really very knowledgeable of AV gear. While he may offer to replace your gear one to one - it is unlikely to be done in a manner that will be satisfactory to you.

Sounds like a bad plan and I would decline the offer.

So you want to make your HT system a Zoomcar? We all know how carefully people drive a self drive rental.

This should be a Big NO for HT components. If he is so interested, he can buy out your entire system, but rental, absolutely not for your own peace of mind.

MaSh

The very thought of disconnecting the gear and reconnecting it is giving me anxiety! That's a whole load of time and work, even if the other person is willing to do it.

Let's look as it this way, if he nukes your gear and refuses to replace it with the same make/ model or for that matter, even pay a single ruppaiya, what's your recourse?

Taking it in writing only means that the burden of proof is in your favor. Unless you have some goons on the standby for recovery or are extremely litigious with tremendous patience, i'd say it's not worth the trouble.

Tell him to pay you deposit equal to the cost of your entire setup. Once he fits it back in your place as promised with no damages, you can deduct Rs. 10000 towards the rental cost and return the balance deposit amount.......ok, just kidding.

No way I will entertain such an offer. There is a very likely chance that gear will get dinked or scratched in this whole exercise if not worse. The fact that he has made this offer indicates (to me) that he is not really very knowledgeable of AV gear. While he may offer to replace your gear one to one - it is unlikely to be done in a manner that will be satisfactory to you.

Sounds like a bad plan and I would decline the offer.

Instead why don't you rent your ht room .let the gear be there itself .they can utilise the room with a rent.so no harm done😃.1000 k for for full day rental no snacks ofcourse

Instead why don't you rent your ht room .let the gear be there itself .they can utilise the room with a rent.so no harm done😃.1000 k for for full day rental no snacks ofcourse
For this novel idea in all fairness, he may need to seek an approval from his better half. Else he may have to stay on rent without snacks.😀
On a serious note, one should never allow any 3rd party usage of your personal gear. The 2 compelling reasons one can think of renting out would be 1) To turn it into a business module 2) Unless there is urgent need for funds.
It's your gear and your prerogative in the end.

Last edited:
Instead of risking your own setup, why not buy a used one just for rent purpose only. Also do it with proper paperwork, no matter how close he/she is.

Tell him to pay you deposit equal to the cost of your entire setup. Once he fits it back in your place as promised with no damages, you can deduct Rs. 10000 towards the rental cost and return the balance deposit amount.......ok, just kidding.

This is actually a great idea.

I politely declined his offer. I thank you all for offering your valuable advice.
Good decesion. Imagine this scenario - dismantle all your gear right from the electric plugs, the HDMI cables, all the optical cables, RCA etc. Stack all the stuff in a corner of your home. On the second / third day put it on like before without altering anything, you are bound to note a difference in the A/V experience for sure... atleast for a few hours. Forget about lending it to someone for a week.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back