Confused ...

well the LX85 wont be launched in india ,instead the LX88 will be launched for asia.
well i am not sure about ur term 3d effect.

well the panasonic has a AIPS panel so the contrast levels of that technology is lagging behind SPVA panels from sony,samsung and even AMVA tech from AUO,ASV tech from sharp.
remember 3 years ago the main advantage for plasmas was contrast but people still prefered the sharp output of lcds,and now days lcds can take on most of the plasma in contrast levels,and new lcds from samsung such as series 8 pose a serious challenge to the pioneer KUROs.
what good is a tv which cannot show the fine details in dark shadow regions thats where the contrast helps.
Hi,

I meen 3D imaging.

When I saw Pany & Tosh,pany was much clear,but Tosh gave 3D,real effect like PC with DVD playback.

Hi,

I meen 3D imaging.

When I saw Pany & Tosh,pany was much clear,but Tosh gave 3D,real effect like PC with DVD playback.

well i am sorry but i still could understand by ur definition of 3d does it mean inferior or superior.

but anway panasonic and toshiba both have the same AIPS panel but toshiba as one of the best,if not the best image processing tech and toshiba also uses different backlight.

well i am sorry but i still could understand by ur definition of 3d does it mean inferior or superior.

but anway panasonic and toshiba both have the same AIPS panel but toshiba as one of the best,if not the best image processing tech and toshiba also uses different backlight.

3D is superior.I meen you can feel Depth in picture.
like 2D & 3D animation are different.

Pany was sharper than Tosh,but images were shallower than Tosh.Motion was very good in Pany,but
Tosh showed judder.

hi,

Panasonic plasma prices are down, just saw in web sumaria

Plasma TVs Home Page - Sumaria.in

just chek

Hi:

I want Panasonic 42PV8, so is it okay to order online and buy it from Sumaria for lesser price or walk into Panasonic showroom in Chennai and get it for a very high price ?

What about service and warranty, etc., if i get it online from Sumaria, coz, i have never bought consumer products online, except, mouse.:eek:

Pls advise.

adder, i notice you are not persisting in your claim that LCDs exceed Plasmas in contrast ratio? what happened to that stand?? Fact remains that contrast ratio is something where Plasmas do better than the LCDs, claims of "measured contrast ratios" notwithstanding!

well we all know that plasma and lcds also dont give the claimed static contrast ,10000:1 is a lot even for plasma standards,the pioneer kuro is measured at 3620:1 static contrast,the sony and samsung are anywhere b/w 1800:1 to about 3000:1.u can even ask chaos he would not agree with the plasma static contrast claims of 10000:1 for a samsung when the pioneer is measured at 3620:1.

Thanks.

I checked their website and came across their 32" Plasma model (32PC5RV). Is this a good TV to go for? Any reviews/comments on this model?

I have seen the 32" LG plasma in action, not very good at all, the picture overall is very dull, very cheap price wise, but for a few thousands more, you can get a LG 32" LCD, which will beat that 32" plasma hands down.

Oh, I love plasma TVs, 40" above:D.

Pls demo LG 32" plasma before taking the plunge.:)

adder, i notice you are not persisting in your claim that LCDs exceed Plasmas in contrast ratio? what happened to that stand?? Fact remains that contrast ratio is something where Plasmas do better than the LCDs, claims of "measured contrast ratios" notwithstanding!

well although the maximum contrast still is holded by the pioneer kuro ,in the thread they are talking about PV8 panasonic plasma compared to which the lcds from samsung and sony have a lead.i said the contrast ration of lcds from these two companies have exceeded many plasmas i never said ALL. the panasonic PY800(FHD plasma not yet available in india) and pioneer kuro still have the edge by about 20%.

well although the maximum contrast still is holded by the pioneer kuro ,in the thread they are talking about PV8 panasonic plasma compared to which the lcds from samsung and sony have a lead.i said the contrast ration of lcds from these two companies have exceeded many plasmas i never said ALL. the panasonic PY800(FHD plasma not yet available in india) and pioneer kuro still have the edge by about 20%.

Dear Adder,
Why are you just arguing against plasmas...just for the sake of it?
The fact is that even the most basic entry-level plasma like Panasonic's PV8 have a native contrast ratio of 15000:1. Now I don't understand how LCDs from samsung and sony have a lead over it?
Both technologies have their own pros & cons and there's no clear-cut winner. It also depends on type of usage like for gaming and static displays, plasmas (as of now) cannot match a LCD. But black levels are something LCDs are ages behind plasmas.
I have used both LG 32" LCD as well as Panny PV8 plasma at my home. And after using them both in peaceful home environment (not in jazzy showroom environ), i feel the plasma has much better colour rendition, images look more natural and soft on eyes and viewing angle is actually 170 deg vs 30 deg in case of LG. And black levels in LCDs are no match for a plasma.

Dear Adder,
Why are you just arguing against plasmas...just for the sake of it?
The fact is that even the most basic entry-level plasma like Panasonic's PV8 have a native contrast ratio of 15000:1. Now I don't understand how LCDs from samsung and sony have a lead over it?
Both technologies have their own pros & cons and there's no clear-cut winner. It also depends on type of usage like for gaming and static displays, plasmas (as of now) cannot match a LCD. But black levels are something LCDs are ages behind plasmas.
I have used both LG 32" LCD as well as Panny PV8 plasma at my home. And after using them both in peaceful home environment (not in jazzy showroom environ), i feel the plasma has much better colour rendition, images look more natural and soft on eyes and viewing angle is actually 170 deg vs 30 deg in case of LG. And black levels in LCDs are no match for a plasma.

well LG has one of the worst black levels and contrast u need to compare it with a samsung or sony .black levels plasmas are no match to lcds equipped with LED backlight which can give a black level of 0.0 cd/m2,even if the lcds dont have LED backlight lcds from sony and samsung can give a black level of 0.07 cd/m2 compared to the black level leader pioneer kuro which can give a black level of 0.03 cd/m2(the best).plasma from panasonic like pv8 etc give a black level of 0.11 cd/m2(inferior to lcd from sony and samsung) its only the PY800 that can give a black level of 0.05 cd/m2(superior).
once again u can only dream of plasma giving a contrast of 15000:1 when the very best of plasma the pioneer is only measured at 3620:1 and the very best of lcds measured at 3000:1(not taking LED backlight lcd into account).
not one place have i said that the pioneer kuros or panasonic PY800 is inferior to sony and samsung lcds in terms of black level(except active LED backlight) and contrast.but compared to the rest like panasonic PV8 the lcds from sony and samsung are superior in contrast and black levels.

Last edited:
Well, Panasonic TH42PX80, the UK equivalent of PV80 gives a black level of 0.05 cd/m2 and not 0.11 (source: HDTVtest.com). Pl get your facts right first.
Anyway, we are not here to argue but to have meaningful discussions. In future, maybe one of the technologies may win or maybe another newer techn. like LED (or maybe something else) might replace both LCD as well as plasma...we don't know. Maybe plasmas will become obsolete sooner than expected..not because they are inferior to LCDs but due to manufactureres' business reasons. Just like in video recording domain, Betacam tapes were no doubt much superior than VHS, but still Sony had to accept defeat in the hands of the VHS lobby.
My point is that the LCD vs plasma debate is a never-ending one. The difference is also very very marginal and it is pointless to base your arguements over paper specs obtained over the net rather than experiencing both personally and then commenting. Most of those who vouch for plasma are also owners of plasma TVs, and they definitely have seen and compared LCDs as well.

Vinod,

You can quote sumaria and ask others for a lesser price than sumaria, if they don't oblige you order from sumaria. They are supposed to be okay as I have heard. Never got from them so far.

please avoid the LG 32" PLasma, like the plague....it is SD only......and it sucks!!!

And vinod, i know a guy from whom i bought the TV, and he gives good prices, but there maybe others also who give good or better prices. Do give him a call and see. His name is Shyam (Surya Electricals) - 9841816271

I have seen the 32" LG plasma in action, not very good at all, the picture overall is very dull, very cheap price wise, but for a few thousands more, you can get a LG 32" LCD, which will beat that 32" plasma hands down.

Oh, I love plasma TVs, 40" above:D.

Pls demo LG 32" plasma before taking the plunge.:)

adder.....you definitely are arguing against plasmas for the sake of it. the problem with LCDs is that they have a backlight, unlike PLasmas...now LED technology allows for selective dimming, as the light source is comprised of multiple tiny LEDs, and this can help boost the black levels, by switching off or dimming in areas where there is a black image, but even with this technology, which makes the TVs bearing them pretty costly, they're about comparable with the Plasmas. They also have poor off-axis viewing, and some other issues like fringing/blooming.....

Now anyway, since the LED-backlit LCDs are on the expensive end of the spectrum, let's compare the regular LCDs, and the Plasmas....I have compared the LCDs from Sony and Samsung (i was originally planning to go for an LCD, as other threads on this site would attest) to the Plasmas from Panasonic and Samsung....i really enjoyed all the pictures, and the great part is that none of them is a bad option, but I can say it with some conviction that the blacks and colour reproduction on the plasmas were superior to the LCDs.

At the end of the day, the prospective buyer should compare the televisions himself/herself and decide what makes him/her happy!

well LG has one of the worst black levels and contrast u need to compare it with a samsung or sony .black levels plasmas are no match to lcds equipped with LED backlight which can give a black level of 0.0 cd/m2,even if the lcds dont have LED backlight lcds from sony and samsung can give a black level of 0.07 cd/m2 compared to the black level leader pioneer kuro which can give a black level of 0.03 cd/m2(the best).plasma from panasonic like pv8 etc give a black level of 0.11 cd/m2(inferior to lcd from sony and samsung) its only the PY800 that can give a black level of 0.05 cd/m2(superior).
once again u can only dream of plasma giving a contrast of 15000:1 when the very best of plasma the pioneer is only measured at 3620:1 and the very best of lcds measured at 3000:1(not taking LED backlight lcd into account).
not one place have i said that the pioneer kuros or panasonic PY800 is inferior to sony and samsung lcds in terms of black level(except active LED backlight) and contrast.but compared to the rest like panasonic PV8 the lcds from sony and samsung are superior in contrast and black levels.

adder.....you definitely are arguing against plasmas for the sake of it. the problem with LCDs is that they have a backlight, unlike PLasmas...now LED technology allows for selective dimming, as the light source is comprised of multiple tiny LEDs, and this can help boost the black levels, by switching off or dimming in areas where there is a black image, but even with this technology, which makes the TVs bearing them pretty costly, they're about comparable with the Plasmas. They also have poor off-axis viewing, and some other issues like fringing/blooming.....

Now anyway, since the LED-backlit LCDs are on the expensive end of the spectrum, let's compare the regular LCDs, and the Plasmas....I have compared the LCDs from Sony and Samsung (i was originally planning to go for an LCD, as other threads on this site would attest) to the Plasmas from Panasonic and Samsung....i really enjoyed all the pictures, and the great part is that none of them is a bad option, but I can say it with some conviction that the blacks and colour reproduction on the plasmas were superior to the LCDs.

At the end of the day, the prospective buyer should compare the televisions himself/herself and decide what makes him/her happy!

well i am not arguing i just posted to to clear the myths about lcds lagging by a mile in contrast and black levels as posted by a fellow member,also no plasma can give the claimed contrast by their manufactures,atleast lcds from sony post the static contrast which are atleast close to the measured contrast.even samsung and a whole lot of other lcds manufactures dont post the static contrast.
agreed that LED backlight lcds are costly but the blacks are 0.0 cd/m2, but there is nothing wrong in saying the info in this forum.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back