Connect Laptop to LCD TV

Karanboochra

Hey guys...
I am looking forward to attach my Laptop to a LCD TV to watch movies on it...How can i do that?

My laptop has a VGA port and a S-Video port ...No HDMI port, No DVI port.

The TV has all the connections ( VGA , HDMI , DVI , Component etc )

How can i connect this laptop to the LCD TV?
I have some HD rips also ( 720p ) ..Can these rips be played through the laptop and on the LCD TV ( @ 720p ) ?

Also..Is there any difference between a RGB port and a VGA?

Thank you :)

Strictly speaking a VGA's capacity is 640x480 with just 16 colors. The modern SVGA is more powerful with a capacity of 12801024 with 16.7M colors. S-Video can carry only SD video with a max resolution of 576i.

The signal carrying capacity of SVGA is close to component and thus slightly better than S-Video. But remember, neither S-Video nor SVGA can carry any audio signals. The best would be to use HDMI or DVI.

Cheers

Last edited:
Strictly speaking a VGA's capacity is 640x480 with just 16 colors. The modern SVGA is more powerful with a capacity of 12801024 with 16.7M colors. S-Video can carry only SD video with a max resolution of 576i.

The signal carrying capacity of SVGA is close to component and thus slightly better than S-Video. But remember, neither S-Video nor SVGA can carry any audio signals. The best would be to use HDMI or DVI.

Cheers

Hmm...The thing is that my laptop doesn't have DVI or HDMI..
Also.. i have this port - http://www.tvone.com/images/1t-vga-cattx-rear.jpg

Then how am i gonna get audio? Also..does RGB transfer Audio?

I don't know..I am confused...My friend is using VGA out of Laptop to VGA in of LCD TV and it gets sound from the LCD TV..

Also..If the SVGA can only carry 1280X1024 , then how am i gonna watch movies @ 720p ?

Thanks!

Well what tv is yours,most lcds will have a separate Analog AUDIO IN for the VGA connection,either in the form of 3.5mm socket or the regular RCA type Audio IN.

Typical lcd tv can handle a resolution of upto 1280 x1024,the newer ones such as from 2006 can handle upto 1366x768 ,so it can play 720p movies which has a resolution of 1280x720.

VGA port said is actually not the same as its name as it can support higher resolution.
S video may not be good option,connect with VGA & you will enjoy that.

Then how am i gonna get audio? Also..does RGB transfer Audio? I don't know..I am confused...My friend is using VGA out of Laptop to VGA in of LCD TV and it gets sound from the LCD TV..

As adder has already mentioned, if you are using VGA/SVGA or S-Video, you have to transfer the audio using a audio cable. This will generally be a 3.5mm stereo jack on one end that goes to the laptop's headphone out, and two standard RCA jacks for connecting to the TV (eBay India: 2 Rca Male to 3.5 mm Stereo Audio Cable ipod mp4 to Tv (item 250634417733 end time 16-Jun-2010 12:24:59 IST)).

Cheers

Hey guys...
I am looking forward to attach my Laptop to a LCD TV to watch movies on it...How can i do that?

My laptop has a VGA port and a S-Video port ...No HDMI port, No DVI port.

The TV has all the connections ( VGA , HDMI , DVI , Component etc )

How can i connect this laptop to the LCD TV?
I have some HD rips also ( 720p ) ..Can these rips be played through the laptop and on the LCD TV ( @ 720p ) ?

Also..Is there any difference between a RGB port and a VGA?

Thank you :)

If I am not mistaken you had decided to buy WD TV right, then where does playing videos from laptop comes in to play?????

Last edited:
VGA port said is actually not the same as its name as it can support higher resolution.
S video may not be good option,connect with VGA & you will enjoy that.

Tried playing Avatar 720p through VGA cable...The video shutters and the quality aint good..also it doesn't run at 1366X768..It runs at 1280X1024..

If I am not mistaken you had decided to buy WD TV right, then where does playing videos from laptop comes in to play?????

Yaa..I am buying that..
Till i get it, i am looking for an alternative solution...

HDD Media player >>>>>> Laptop through VGA

Tried playing Avatar 720p through VGA cable...The video shutters and the quality aint good..also it doesn't run at 1366X768..It runs at 1280X1024..

Both connections are not pure digital & Lapy may not recognise your Displays native resolution.Again Laptop shld be powerful enough to play 720p mov.(depends on inbuilt graphics,cpu...)
When I connect my HTPC via HDMI, PC recognises my TV as philips & its resolution to.So I get few options with 720p OR 1080p.

Last edited:
Oh..could it be that my laptop resolution was 1280 X 1024 that's why the movie was playing at that resolution on the TV?
Also..How to get sound??
Tried 2 way auxin , sound didn't come..Tried putting headphones in the headphones jack , still no sound...But it plays well in normal TV..

Are you saying abt sound output from Lapy?then-
You need to config sound settings properly.
1.Check sound output from Laptop sound control panal is 2ch only.
2.The player(say vlc)in which you play 720p should be configed as 2ch output as in most of sceens you may not here from fronts as dialoges are passed via centre ch.

Now if TV doesnt output,then check if you have pluged in correct audio input corresponding to VGA port.
Again if you input audio in S vid slot & connect VGA ,then there wont be sound.

Finally check the cable if working properly.

Are you saying abt sound output from Lapy?then-
You need to config sound settings properly.
1.Check sound output from Laptop sound control panal is 2ch only.
2.The player(say vlc)in which you play 720p should be configed as 2ch output as in most of sceens you may not here from fronts as dialoges are passed via centre ch.

Now if TV doesnt output,then check if you have pluged in correct audio input corresponding to VGA port.
Again if you input audio in S vid slot & connect VGA ,then there wont be sound.

Finally check the cable if working properly.

Noo..I don't want sound from Lappy..I want sound from the LCD TV...How to get that?
There's no sound whatsoever..Played the movie through VLC...NO sound from either the LCD or the laptop...

I tried connecting LCD and the Laptop via 2-way 3.5 mm Jack...One in the output of Headphones of the Laptop and the other in the INPUT AUX IN of the LCD..Still No sound..

Also..How to get 1366X768? My laptop supports only 1280X1024..And the LCD also sets its resolution to the resolution of the Laptop...

Which lcd tv do you have and is the laptop based on a old generation processor and graphics.
does the lcd tv have a dedicated audio in for vga

Now as said earlier you shld check/config your Lapy sound settings.

1st connect headphone to laptop analoge front out.then in vlc check audio option.
audio> audio device> select stereo. Other options are 5.1,spdf out which will not work properly.
Secondly vlc cant play HD-audios(only DD plus).Install new vlc version.
If you get sound out from Laptop,then only you will get from TV.

Again in Lapy sound control panal,select 2 spk(not 5.1)
This shld work.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back