Connecting TV/Blu-ray/Dune/AVR - the mayhem of it all :)

pguy

Hello guys,

Using a 5.1 setup for music & movies

Culprits involved: Panasonic VT20D, Dune Duo, Oppo 93, Pioneer LX85 AVR, Regular Cable TV, future DTH.

I realize I can connect everything all the sources to the AVR and the AVR to the TV.

But I would also like to be able to use the TV (cable or DTH) without powering on the AVR. How to do that?

Secondly, the Dune - that connects just to the AVR and a source (NAS)?

If you are using the Pioneer SC-LX85 its supposed to have " HDMI Standby Pass Thru". The receiver should be able to pass thru the hdmi input ( without upscaling) when the receiver is on standby mode. So if you are using a set top box with hdmi out , just put your receiver on standby mode and you should have no problems.

If you are using the Pioneer SC-LX85 its supposed to have " HDMI Standby Pass Thru". The receiver should be able to pass thru the hdmi input ( without upscaling) when the receiver is on standby mode. So if you are using a set top box with hdmi out , just put your receiver on standby mode and you should have no problems.

Thanks for knowing more about the receiver than I do! :D

That would solve the DTH thing when I put it in. In the mean-time, we are using regular cable. Any solution for that? Sometimes would prefer to use the center channel with the AVR being active and sometimes just the TV without the AVR. Any solution for that?

Thanks

The Panasonic VT 20 should have optical out . Connect the set top box to the tv and from the tv connect the optical out to the receiver . I am not sure if it will work but you could give it a try.

Forgot to mention the tv will surely have a 2 channel audio out. ( 2 RCA ). You can use this instead of the optical out.

My cable provider doesn't provide a STB. Just a regular co-axial cable wire - they are talking about providing HD over cable and at that time they will introduce STBs with both HDMI and other outputs. For now its just a regular co-axial wire.

Thanks for knowing more about the receiver than I do! :D

That would solve the DTH thing when I put it in. In the mean-time, we are using regular cable. Any solution for that? Sometimes would prefer to use the center channel with the AVR being active and sometimes just the TV without the AVR. Any solution for that?

Thanks

Or just connect the STB to TV directly vi HDMI. Why would you want to connect the STB to AVR oin the first place. STB wont give HD audio, only DD and DTS.
For that just use an optical cable form STB to your AVR. When you just want to view TV, keep the avr off and you will get your normal A/V via HDMI connect to TV. When you want the 5.1 sound as well while watching movies, just switch on the AVR and select the mode which ever is assigned to optical audio.

That is what I have done to achieve the same result.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back