Conversion from DVI to HDMI

gopscreative

Hi i have a graphics card with DVI (24 pin) port and want to connect it with my HDTV(42 inch).I wanted to know is der any loss in video signal wen video is converted from DVI to HDMI and Is it better to get a DVI to HDMI adapter and den use a HDMI cable or directly going for DVI-HDMI cable????Experts help me out...

Hi,

Is it your TV full HD or HD Ready. If it is full hd, you dont have a problem buying a DVI to hdmi cable for around 600 bucks, it will work fine. If you have a HD ready, then there is a problem, even with adaptor you will not get what you want, because I have a 7600 Nvidia and tried to hook up that with my panny 32", I ended up seeing some wierd screen, and the VGA mode looked 100X better than this.

Now I updated my MBD which has HDMI output and now hooked up my panny to my Denon and Denon to my MBD, now there is no problem.

Cheers!

Venkat

Even, I have a good quality DVI to HDMI cable with me, I can give it to you for a throwaway if you want, as it is literally useless for me now.

AFAIK there is no loss in video quality of signal, as both are digital siganls and carry same format of data. Only pin connection are different. If you buy DVI to HDMI adaptor and then buy HDMI cable, it will be a good option as you will be able to use that HDMI cable with other devices too but if you buy DVI to HDMI cable then you're restricted to PC to HDTV/AV Reciever connection only...

hi gopscreative!

i think it is better to use a DVI to HDMI cable because the lower the number of removable interfaces, the better it is supposed to be.

as for quality, DVI and HDMI are the same in terms of video. both support HD. both uses the same protocol/encoding for data transfer. the difference being DVI doesnt carry audio whereas HDMI does.

i have connected one of my PCs to an LCD using DVI to HDMI cable and the video quality is very good. so go ahead!

regards,
abhishek.

Hi i have a graphics card with DVI (24 pin) port and want to connect it with my HDTV(42 inch).I wanted to know is der any loss in video signal wen video is converted from DVI to HDMI and Is it better to get a DVI to HDMI adapter and den use a HDMI cable or directly going for DVI-HDMI cable????Experts help me out...

hdmi has decryption in firmware to enable watching protected content. When using DVI port to hdmi conversion most content may not be viewable.

Regards

Hi,

Is it your TV full HD or HD Ready. If it is full hd, you dont have a problem buying a DVI to hdmi cable for around 600 bucks, it will work fine. If you have a HD ready, then there is a problem, even with adaptor you will not get what you want, because I have a 7600 Nvidia and tried to hook up that with my panny 32", I ended up seeing some wierd screen, and the VGA mode looked 100X better than this.

Now I updated my MBD which has HDMI output and now hooked up my panny to my Denon and Denon to my MBD, now there is no problem.

Cheers!

Venkat

Even, I have a good quality DVI to HDMI cable with me, I can give it to you for a throwaway if you want, as it is literally useless for me now.

Hey Venkat Thanks man... By de way my TV is FULL HD. Its a recent LED LCD TV by LG,bought it in first week of november.. Wher do u stay?

Hi,

I would do that for you, but I would like to buy some time, as I have some business work going on these weekends due to Thanksgiving in US. If you can wait for a week, I can courier the same for you.

PM me your address and contact# and you can pay me back later with some good movie DVDs!:)

Cheers!

Hi,

I would do that for you, but I would like to buy some time, as I have some business work going on these weekends due to Thanksgiving in US. If you can wait for a week, I can courier the same for you.

PM me your address and contact# and you can pay me back later with some good movie DVDs!:)

Cheers!

Ya sure.. wil mail u de contact details by today nite...

hdmi has decryption in firmware to enable watching protected content. When using DVI port to hdmi conversion most content may not be viewable.

Regards

If you are saying abt HDPC,new GC are HDCP enabled & has DVI output only.
ATI 5series has come up with HDMI out.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back