Converting a Car Stereo into Home Stereo

ukjeyaraj

I have a Pioneer AVH-Z5190BT. I am planning to house it in a wooden cabinet and use this as a home stereo system. Objective is to keep it simple for quiet listening
Screenshot_20230829-080141~2.png
Not interested to add any kind of amplifier.

Is it possible to use a pair of component speakers (available as speaker+tweeter+crossover packages)?

What should be the maximum/nominal power of the speakers?

How to choose the power supply?

Kindly suggest

Hi,
My stereo set up in the college hostel room was using a Blaupunkt Car stereo many years ago. I used a 12v DC transformer and a pair of two way Sony bookshelf speakers. Don’t remember much about the SQ, but I remember being delighted and having a lot of fun listening to CDs.
You will need the connectors the come with the car stereo unit for the specific sockets for the power and speaker outlets.
You can buy the 12V power supply online.
With an output of 50wpc I think any speaker will work well in small to medium sized rooms.
But as you know, better the quality of the speakers, better the sound.

Hi,
My stereo set up in the college hostel room was using a Blaupunkt Car stereo many years ago. I used a 12v DC transformer and a pair of two way Sony bookshelf speakers. Don’t remember much about the SQ, but I remember being delighted and having a lot of fun listening to CDs.
You will need the connectors the come with the car stereo unit for the specific sockets for the power and speaker outlets.
With an output of 50wpc I think any speaker will work well in small to medium sized rooms.
It's said that the ampere of power supply is the most important thing in the car stereo set. So, good amout of ampere is needed. Isn't it? Thanks.

You will need 12V DC SMPS having 5A or above current capacity, (15A if you really want to blast music thru all spk) . Transformer based PSU voltages varies with loads / supply voltage + bulky & inefficient, so not recommended . Any good oval or round component spk will work (rated 25W or above) . The max ratings of 50W or 70W for sub are a bit optimistic figures for such a tiny IC present in a car audio unit at such high distortion levels.
People also use old PC SMPS for powering these, on a budget.
If you were from Mumbai , I would have shared direct sources for good Made in India 12V SMPS with proper earthing , better than elcheapo Chinese 12V adaptors.

Last edited:
Is there a reason you are planning such a setup ? Is this a temporary arrangement ? Active bookshelf speakers would be better for music

Car audio systems are designed to work in a small closed environment. So it may not sound good at home. If u have very small room then it may be ok.
You also need to spend more money on AC to DC converter + speakers + cabinet ..etc.
Also if you have to install component speakers , they are priced high, good component speakers starting from 10k+ minimum. Plus component speakers needed good Power hence u also need to invest on AMPS.
Instead sell off AVH-Z5190BT , and get the Active powered speakers for Stereo setup that will not cost very much and will sound good any day.

Hi,
Thanks. About power supply 12V is understood from the specs. What should be the Amp if I plan to have a typical pioneer or JBL component speakers combo for around 6000.

Rating in speaker specs say 50w nominal per channel @ 4 ohms. Is it for midbass and tweeter put together. That's not very clear

Again not looking for critical audiophile setup

It's mostly for casual listening

You will need 12V DC SMPS having 5A or above current capacity, (15A if you really want to blast music thru all spk) . Transformer based PSU voltages varies with loads / supply voltage + bulky & inefficient, so not recommended . Any good oval or round component spk will work (rated 25W or above) . The max ratings of 50W or 70W for sub are a bit optimistic figures for such a tiny IC present in a car audio unit at such high distortion levels.
People also use old PC SMPS for powering these, on a budget.
If you were from Mumbai , I would have shared direct sources for good Made in India 12V SMPS with proper earthing , better than elcheapo Chinese 12V adaptors.
Thanks. How to arrive at Amps requirement based on speaker. Any thumb rule? I am planning to use either a pair of coaxial or pair of midbass-tweeter component speakers

https://amzn.eu/d/1Cr2trj

Above power supply will suit?

You can still source at Mumbai. I was Mumbai for quiet a period. I may be able to manage things in South Mumbai and Western Subruban

Last edited:
Car audio systems are designed to work in a small closed environment. So it may not sound good at home. If u have very small room then it may be ok.
You also need to spend more money on AC to DC converter + speakers + cabinet ..etc.
Also if you have to install component speakers , they are priced high, good component speakers starting from 10k+ minimum. Plus component speakers needed good Power hence u also need to invest on AMPS.
Instead sell off AVH-Z5190BT , and get the Active powered speakers for Stereo setup that will not cost very much and will sound good any day.
Thanks for the suggestions. This will be only for casual listening. Also purpose is just for the fun of building it. Except power supply and speakers most of the parts are already available. So just thought of building it.

That amazon SMPS will work. Put it in a wooden box as the 230V terminals are bare
Higher the current , more volume , the more speakers you can connect -2 or 4 and a Sub. Say 5A for 2 spk. 10A for all spk driven . In theory you can use 12V / 1000A too, but cant use 16V / 1A. Voltage should be fixed , current -whatever is required + headroom, so 15A
don't worry about mid/ tweeters, anyways they require less power and total impedance of a component spk stays 4Ohms. Trust me, you would never be listening at 50W X 2, nor the car stereo will be able to put out that much power without compromising on distortion. Just buy budget spk 2K-3K max but a box with a bigger volume as space permits than normal shoebox sized enclosures using 15mm MDF

Last edited:
That amazon SMPS will work. Put it in a wooden box as the 230V terminals are bare
Higher the current , more volume , the more speakers you can connect -2 or 4 and a Sub. Say 5A for 2 spk. 10A for all spk driven . In theory you can use 12V / 1000A too, but cant use 16V / 1A. Voltage should be fixed , current -whatever is required + headroom, so 15A
don't worry about mid/ tweeters, anyways they require less power and total impedance of a component spk stays 4Ohms. Trust me, you would never be listening at 50W X 2, nor the car stereo will be able to put out that much power without compromising on distortion. Just buy budget spk 2K-3K max but a box with a bigger volume as space permits than normal shoebox sized enclosures using 15mm MDF
Thanks for the detail post on power supply and speaker specs.

It is straight forward to use card head units at home, Any 12 volt wall wart with 3+ amps will work well. You just need to short the power and the ignition cable. Be very careful with the ground cable (usually black in color). Do not short it or the head unit will blow (ofcourse most HUs have a fuse).

It is straight forward to use card head units at home, Any 12 volt wall wart with 3+ amps will work well. You just need to short the power and the ignition cable. Be very careful with the ground cable (usually black in color). Do not short it or the head unit will blow (ofcourse most HUs have a fuse).
Thanks for the heads up to save the head unit.

I will double check before connecting the power and other wires

Thanks for the heads up to save the head unit.

I will double check before connecting the power and other wires
if you are using car component of coaxial speakers, then the inbuilt car head unit amp is more than enough. You can even add a powered subwoofer if your head unit has a sub out (which most HUs have).

https://www.flipkart.com/allin1-pow...-360watt-worldwide-adaptor/p/itm291206aecd89b

https://www.amazon.in/TRIDEV-Ultra-...lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=A1LNY5B2YFX2LR&th=1

You can get something like the above

I had built old school style speakers 27"H x 18"Wx 11"D using Kenwood KFC7171 7x10" 20y ago, still rockin'. Kept it on a standard MS heavy stand, tweeter placement at 41" from ground. Music/ HT , everything sounds good without subs. Damping material used are coir sheets bought from mattress store.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-08-31 at 11.32.50.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-08-31 at 11.32.50.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 10
Update

Purchased following

1) Kenwood KFC-S1666
2) Zebronics SMPS
3) Car wire Harness

Connected everything to check and yes it worked very well. In fact I felt happy when it started to sing.

Things that work

1) Audio through Bluetooth
2) CD/DVD
3) USB Playback
4) Android Auto
5) Phone call paired through Bluetooth/Android Auto

Not working

FM Radio (Looks like external antenna needs to be added)

Now should plan for the box to house these components

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back