Cooling solution for WD TV (also for anyother system)

madbullram

well, my WD TV only has a heat sink so the top surface is always hot as thats what dissipates heat. My short lifetime experience says heat and electronics don't go well. Also, I have placed my WD TV inside my custom TV Cabinet. Though there is enough space for air circulation, I just wanted to ensure my WD TV, apart from looking cool :cool:, works cool!.

Items:
1. One A.C PC Cooling Fan
2. Very good quality power cables for connecting the fan
3. Clippers and tapes (if possible we can solder it)

Steps:
1. Connect the A.C plug to the Cooling fan
2. Tape them or solder them (i have removed it for the pics)
3. Place the fan so that it blows on top of WD TV (as the heat dissipates from the top cover). For other devices, place it in such a way it is effective.
4. Use the fan whenever you use the device :)

Pictures:
Picture of the cabinet

Picture of the Fan with wire connected to it (I have removed the tapping for the picture). Always, close any connection with a electric tape, this is important!!!:

Another view of fan, you can see that blower side faces the top of WD TV:

Another view where you can see the setup with WD TV and Maxtor 1 TB. Notice the head room in the cabinet, this is required for heat circulation even though you have a fan:

Full view at night:

The fan sound is tad higher bcos of the closed enclosure but its not audible when my HTiB is working.

Now my WD TV runs always cool :clapping:

Cost:
A.C Wire: 35 Rs
Fan : 250 rs
Smirk on my face when I touch the top layer of WD TV after watching a 1080p movie: Priceless :yahoo:

Hope it helps :clapping:

Last edited:
If you make some holes for ventilation, on the right wooden panel, next to WDTV, then the hot air could be blown out of the cupboard, for much better cooling. Are these placed in the extreme right cupboard in your cabinet? Even otherwise, additional ventilation will be always helpful.

Isn't AC fan a little too much? A similar PC cabinet fan which silently runs on 12V DC may have been more apt?

If you make some holes for ventilation, on the right wooden panel, next to WDTV, then the hot air could be blown out of the cupboard, for much better cooling. Are these placed in the extreme right cupboard in your cabinet? Even otherwise, additional ventilation will be always helpful.

Isn't AC fan a little too much? A similar PC cabinet fan which silently runs on 12V DC may have been more apt?

Current setup, I dont have a problem with circulation or sound. So I am fine with it. But if I add a one more layer of glass on top, then yes I would look at doing it.

I tried the DC fan wasn't as effective as this. My belief is, the comp dc fans are made for a comp cabinet which is smaller in size when compared to cabinets like this.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back