Copper foil inductors

Hi,

@George,I know that getting the foil inductors locally will be less expensive than buying them from the U.S.

My plan is to use these speakers in a two channel HT set up (no critical listening)Just wondering if it is worth spending so much on the crossovers for this application,when it is possible to get as good sound using laminated air gapped EI core inductors.

Rajiv: can you share the contacts of your supplier? Thanks!

@crisscross,the person making the inductors for me is a big industrial transformer maker.He normally will not undertake such jobs.I have known him for several years so I get my stuff wound with him as a personal favour.

Regards
Rajiv

Ahh, the power of good old fashioned nepotism! I'm a great believer in that..Your points noted. I agree spending that kind of cash on inductors alone is not small change.

Hi,

@crisscross,the person making the inductors for me is a big industrial transformer maker.He normally will not undertake such jobs.I have known him for several years so I get my stuff wound with him as a personal favour.

Regards
Rajiv

Actually I didnt know the cost comparison and just did it out of curiosity. It brings me back to a point I made earlier, that someone here in India should offer inductors to people who need them.

Seriously considering an active crossover, or have to skimp on the caps and resistors.:sad:

Hi Rajiv,

Could you explain what is the differences in general and SQ in particular between using active x-overs and the copper foil ones?

Could you explain what is the differences in general and SQ in particular between using active x-overs and the copper foil ones?

Hi Capt,

I am presuming that you are asking about the differences between active and passive crossovers.

In my experience mainly with the Tannoy Monitor Golds,for which I have an active crossover purpose designed for them.

tannoy

http://www.hifi-forum.de/index.php?action=browseT&back=1&sort=lpost&forum_id=168&thread=33

My impressions are that active is far more clearer and dynamic than a passive crossover.

Regards
Rajiv

Back