Cosmic CO 6500D

pratapaditya

have been trying to make some sense of my stacks of old cassettes for some time now. Gave a lot away, couldn't give away many. Too many personal stories attached with them.

While walking along Kolkata's famed Chandni Chowk, picked this one, COSMIC Co6500D, up from a seller of junk vintage electronics. There was something in his paan-stained smile that assured me to part with Rs. 600 and take it home.:)

Connected it with my rudimentary amplifier and old speakers. (Wife wouldn't let me take it near my main hifi system.) Sounds gorgeous.:clapping:

Problems : One VU meter works, the other doesn't. There is some hum. tape counter doesn't work.

Would be grateful if anyone can give some information on the model.

Does any Fm from Kolkata know of a reliable technician that can make this gem function better?

Attachments

• IMG_4355L.jpg
    IMG_4355L.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_4359L.jpg
    IMG_4359L.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_4361L.jpg
    IMG_4361L.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 161
1) One VU Meter does not work: from the pic it seems like the meter back light has fused and also the meter itself has ceased. Try to free the meter needle carefully and see if it would fall back in position. If you have a burnt meter coil, then replacements are easily available. The meter back light is also easily replaceable

2) Tape counter does not work: these mechanical tape counter are generally driven by a small belt. Looks like the belt has either broken/perished or has stretched a bit and has too much play. This is easily replaceable

3) Hum: the filter caps may be on their last legs, may need a change. Also, take a look at your input/output connectors at the back, they may need cleaning and may not be properly engaging

Overall, easily fixable. The deck brings back the memories, used to feature regularly on cosmic adverts on elector back covers, back in the 1980s.

Thanks Shuv, Reubensm.

Reuben, I don't possess as deep a knowledge about the inner workings as you do, so cannot attempt any repairs myself. But the tips will certainly be of immense help when I take the deck to the technician. Shuv has been very kind to provide me with the contact of a dependable technician. Let us see.

Yes, that's the intention. We must be aware of what the issue is likely to be and what is the likely remedy when we take equipment for repairs. This will help us stay clear of getting ripped. A common trick used by mostl technicians is to ascertain the owner's love for the vintage piece and then accordingly rip him off (a deep sense of love equates to the owner spending heavily to repair the equipment). There can be other reasons too, for example the mechanical counter may have ceased over time and may just require some oiling. The bottom line is that its good to have a fair idea before making the move to the service shop. On another note, noticed one of the black meter face-plates is missing. That may be hard to find, you could probably try alternatives for both meters. Also if you have to change the defective meter (if it is actually defective), change both meters to main the cosmetics :)

hi pratap i have this same model with me working from 1979. taken brand new form mumbai. cosmic co 6500d the co was in andheri-e at paperbox shut down in yr 2003 approx . 6500d is a realy very good deck . with rec/playbk ctrl . ur deck right side meter ring or the surround case is reversed both the control knobs r not original. i have the original technician working in the cosmic co he stays at wadala mumbai. his name is ramakant. try talking to this person i shall find his no & msg u i used this deck in my early childhood days it is still with me srchng for a good mechnism clutch rubber rings wheel etc .
know i use a cosmic co 703 d deck it is almost akai.
bye

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back