Cosmic Cogram 2000

But a thread would not have the elasticity to switch between speeds. I hope the rubber pads that i make for the motor work. The whole motor was just hanging by the screws. If it comes down to repairing the motor then god save me. I do not even know if these motors can be repaired.

Samantha you were right. There are a lot of people who use surgical silk and even dental floss to make belts. I am already on my way to build a new plinth.

In my bold on honest opinion, from the posts you have written so far, I would assume that you are very new to the world of turntables. Unlike with other gadgets, DIY efforts on turntable-internals require expert knowledge and hands-on experience. Trying out stuff based on guidance will work only if you know what you are doing or things would end up rather sour. From your description, in my opinion, your TT will end up being quite expensive to repair/restore, you'd probably be better off, actually buying another one. However if you want to get a kick out of restoring it, then give it a shot, but after doing a lot of reading/research on turntables, and if possible, some on-job-training with other experienced members of our forum

I am absolutely new Sir. my reason for taking up this project is nothing but pure fun and the satisfaction, that is if I succeed, to have restored something on my own. please pardon me if I sound over excited but I just love the fact that I am getting to do something other than what I do professionally. sir I would love to get some on job training if my work schedule permits.

Gurus I need help. I have got the cosmic cogram 2000 BD running. Checked the speeds of the platter and the motor seems to be working fine. But the owner has cut the tonearm wires too fine and has hardly left any space for the connectors to be soldered. There are 5 wires running into the tonearm and 4 coming out. It means one is for earthing. The screws on the tone arm are almost glued and would not move. I am scared to put pressure on them as the heads might get destroyed. Is there a liquid solution which i could use on them?

Gurus I need help. I have got the cosmic cogram 2000 BD running. Checked the speeds of the platter and the motor seems to be working fine. But the owner has cut the tonearm wires too fine and has hardly left any space for the connectors to be soldered. There are 5 wires running into the tonearm and 4 coming out. It means one is for earthing. The screws on the tone arm are almost glued and would not move. I am scared to put pressure on them as the heads might get destroyed. Is there a liquid solution which i could use on them?

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
I am confused by your later statements. Which connectors you want to solder? Connectors towards Phono side? Photograph would have helped, really.
Yes one is for earthing. And not any of the four that connect with the cartridge at headshell.

Pure spirit (Iso propyl alcohol) should work. Use eyebrow picker kind of thing to put slight pressure on those cartridge connector to disconnect tone arm wires off it.

Removing glue depends on its type. If screws are rusted drops of WD-40 or kerosene and leaving it for one day may help. Cartridge wires are usually red+green, white+blue and earthing black. A few pictures from mobile phone would help.

Thanks a lot. I have been looking to send pictures but honestly, I am technologically impaired. Ruben sir did show me the way but unfortunately my shooting locations are all out of coverage range. And that is where I take my TT everyday and repair it in free time. I am scared to touch the tonearm wires and how. I went and searched Laj pat rai market and could only find those wires in one colour. So have to colour them too so that I don't get confused. Just wondering, would the earthing work if I attached it to the tonearm from the outside? Just for trial. @ Samantha. Yes sir, on the cart side.

@ Samantha. Yes sir, on the cart side.

Dear Varun,
Although like all of us, I used to drool at Samantha F?x, but do not want to be called by that name. Please write Sumanta (Shumonto by Bengali way).

I will be in Thane soon, so would like to try out things on my Cosmic 2000 based on your experience and may be able to help you too.

Thanks a lot. I have been looking to send pictures but honestly, I am technologically impaired. Ruben sir did show me the way but unfortunately my shooting locations are all out of coverage range. And that is where I take my TT everyday and repair it in free time. I am scared to touch the tonearm wires and how. I went and searched Laj pat rai market and could only find those wires in one colour. So have to colour them too so that I don't get confused. Just wondering, would the earthing work if I attached it to the tonearm from the outside? Just for trial. @ Samantha. Yes sir, on the cart side.

Break up a old mouse... USB / Serial any type. Cut the cord and pull out the fine colour coded wires inside. End of your search for a phono cable :eek:hyeah:

Regards,

Lifewater

Please accept my apology Shumonto. The auto spellchecker did me in. @Lifewater, yes that is what I resorted to finally. Went through a lot of articles on Google where the debate about the thickness of the tonearm wire is still unresolved. Thinner the better is what one group says whereas the other feels that it would not make much of a difference. But those thin wires are pretty fragile. Fixed head shells also pose another problem. Your choice of cartridges get limited. I've called for an AT95e. If it fits, then some speculation doing rounds in the forum can be put to rest. If it does not fit, I can put it on my other turntable. The slots will have to be made on the tonearm now. If I get this wrong, the tonearm is gone. Will now start reading about EL, P-S and overhang.

AT95e will fit on the plastic plate (with lift) and then the plastic will need to be screwed below the head with the screw going in from top.

Back