Cosmic turntable

pksnathan

Dear friends,
I have a Cosmic COGRAM 4000 MK II turntable which I have recently put into use.I request our friends to kindly tell whether this is a versatile TT for regular use.
Thanking you,
Yours friendly,

pksnathan

Dear mallikh67,
Many thanks for your kind reply. My mobile no.is 0 9841010702 and I am a resident of Chennai.
Yours sincerely,

pksnathan

They were the best ones avilable during 80's, TT is well built with heavy alluminium platter, nice curved tone arm with diamond stylus. We do not get a turn table like this any more, do not dispose, it's a GEM. more info @ http://www.hifivision.com/vintage-audio/1270-classic-indian-amps-late-70s.html

Dear friends,
I have a Cosmic COGRAM 4000 MK II turntable which I have recently put into use.I request our friends to kindly tell whether this is a versatile TT for regular use.
Thanking you,
Yours friendly,

pksnathan

Dear Anilkumar,
Thank you for your reply.I am thinking of integratinrg the turntable with a stereo amplifier and speakers.I have a Sony Orson integrated stereo amplifier.

From Dr. M. Kashif

Dear Mr. Anil
Recently I have got a COSMIC COGRAM 4000 Direct Drive Turntable from Bombay in a good condition, and when I have attched it with Ahuja Cassette Player cum Amplifier (Model No.: 4040SM) I was unable to get a loud sound on my spekers rather a very less sound on putting volume controll to maximum.

I have also tried with so many amplifires that are available in market now a days but come with same problem.

Someone has told me that TT requires a different kind of matching amplifiers.
I will be highly obliged to you if you could please suggest me any amplifier that should be eaisly available in market (not less that 60 Watts out put after amlification) now a days so that at least I should get a boost volume with my 60 Watts or 90 Watts speakers that I am planning to purchase.

I have purchased that Ahuja 4040SM worth Rs.7000/- but its worthless for my TT though its working good with CD players. Can this Ahuja 4040SM work with my TT with some atached modifications if possible.

I am eagerly waiting for your reply, kindly send a cc on my mail ID also

[email protected]

Thank you

With kind regards

Dr. M. Kashif
Research Scientist-Analytical Research
J. Organosys
Delhi

Re: From Dr. M. Kashif

Dear Mr. Anil
Recently I have got a COSMIC COGRAM 4000 Direct Drive Turntable from Bombay in a good condition, and when I have attched it with Ahuja Cassette Player cum Amplifier (Model No.: 4040SM) I was unable to get a loud sound on my spekers rather a very less sound on putting volume controll to maximum.

I have also tried with so many amplifires that are available in market now a days but come with same problem.

I will be highly obliged to you if you could please suggest me any amplifier that should be eaisly available in market (not less that 60 Watts out put after amlification) now a days so that at least I should get a boost volume with my 60 Watts or 90 Watts speakers that I am planning to purchase.

I have purchased that Ahuja 4040SM worth Rs.7000/- but its worthless for my TT though its working good with CD players. Can this Ahuja 4040SM work with my TT with some atached modifications if possible.

[email protected]

Thank you

With kind regards

Dr. M. Kashif
J. Organosys
Delhi

i kno the seniors here'd have a more pointed response but i guess the issue is with the phono stage, or the lack of it. or connection to an input that is incorrect for this source.

Hello MR kASHIF,

Pl check first your amp is having PHONO Inputs. If it does not then it cannot amplify the TT output. You have to either change the amp to one which has this, or else as an alternate arrangement you can use a PHONO Pre-Amp to boost the TT output to Line level so that your amp will work.

N MURALI

Hi,

You're going to need a Phono amplifier. The RCA outputs from your turntable will go into the Phono amplifier which will in turn be connected via the RCA outputs (of the phono amp) to your normal amplifiers input.

Now, find out what kind of cartridge is on your turn table. Need to know the company and model.

The cartridge will be either Moving Magnet (MM) or Moving Coil (MC). You will need to know the output impedance of the cartridge so that you can match that impedance through the phono amp settings.

You can go for a tube based phono amp or a solid state one depending on your listening tastes. Phono amps can be extremely cheap or very expensive ($50 ~ $6000). All depends on budget, listening habits/preferences etc.

Find out more about the cartridge that is on your turntable and I can probably help you more.

~Gaurav

Dear Mr. N. Murali and Mr. Gaurav

Thank you so much for your suggestions for a Phono Amplifier and to check the needle of my cartridge.

As I remember the cartridge of my COSMIC 4000 COGRAM TT it is Classic 700 of EEI company, again I will check & confirm it, as soon I will be at home, now a days I am on an official tour.
Although I am having a photo image of my TT in my mail, I am attaching the same for you (jpg File).

Thanks to all of you and waiting to hear something from Mr. Anil Kumar

Attachments

• DSC01215.jpg
    DSC01215.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 366
Re: From Dr. M. Kashif

Hello Dr Kashif, your problem could be due to magnetic diamond stylus, it may not suite your amplifier because of lack of proper phonostage. Please check the TT with a different amplifier with a phono input. Do not forget the ground connection, loose connection may lead to HUM. Your Ahuja player's phono in put supports only ceramic cartridge, not diamond or magnetic stylus cartridge.

Regards,
Anil

Dear Mr. Anil

[email protected]

Thank you

With kind regards

Dr. M. Kashif
J. Organosys
Delhi

Re: Cosmic turntable (Pre-Amplifier Kit)

Dear All
As Mr. Murali and Mr. Gaurav has suggested me for a Pre-Amplifier kit to boost my TT output, while on search I found one on web

Phonopreamps.com TCC TC-400G/L Details and Hookup

Can somebody confirm me that whether the same kind is made available by any Indian manufacturer so that I may have it eaisly.

Thank you

With regards
Dr. M. Kashif

Hi,

You're going to need a Phono amplifier. The RCA outputs from your turntable will go into the Phono amplifier which will in turn be connected via the RCA outputs (of the phono amp) to your normal amplifiers input.

Now, find out what kind of cartridge is on your turn table. Need to know the company and model.

The cartridge will be either Moving Magnet (MM) or Moving Coil (MC). You will need to know the output impedance of the cartridge so that you can match that impedance through the phono amp settings.

You can go for a tube based phono amp or a solid state one depending on your listening tastes. Phono amps can be extremely cheap or very expensive ($50 ~ $6000). All depends on budget, listening habits/preferences etc.

Find out more about the cartridge that is on your turntable and I can probably help you more.

~Gaurav

Hi,

Do you have a budget in mind? I can try and suggest some nice phono preamps that way.

Does it have to be from an Indian manufacturer? There are very few indian manufacturers that can fulfill the audiophile sound we seek.

As a basic starting phono, I would recommend the Bellari VP130:
LP Gear: Bellari VP130 phono preamp w/ FREE US Ground S&H

Its a budget preamp, but gives you taste of whats out there. It's a very good starting point.

~Gaurav

hi dr kashif,

i have just yesterday got a phono amp from viren who makes tube amps and single driver speakers in delhi. this is a solid state phono amp, a temp one for me to use while he's making a tube phono with a step up transformer that i've ordered from him. available right here in india and sound wise compares very favourably to a project tube box II that i used to have. should cost within 5k. he also offers to send you a piece and if you dont like it you can return it, paying just the shipping cost. considering the table you have i would suggest you dont go for a fancy phono stage since it would be overkill. you can contact viren on [email protected] i'll take a picture and post it for you tomorrow. wooden box with black plate with holes for ventilation on top. rubber feet. a squarish box bout the size of a handspan

regards

hi dr. kashif,

lyrita audio's phonostage. bout 11" by 7" roughly. spoke to him yesterday, he still has a few opamps for a solid state phonostage since he's now switched to tube gear so get one while you can!

regards

Attachments

• 1.jpg.jpg
    1.jpg.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 202
  • 2.jpg.jpg
    2.jpg.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Cosmic turntable Output Signal

Dear All
I am not so well versed with electronic / electrical signals language.
The Ahuja amlifier that I have has two kind of RCA inputs for amplification

140 mV at 500 K-ohms &
200 mV at 500 K-ohms

One of my cousin is having a Phono Preamplifier and its signal specification is

Input: 5mV at 47 K-ohms

Output: 450 mV at 100 K-ohm

Question - 01
This time I am somewhat puzzled that whether my Ahuja Amplifier input will accept a output from the same above Pre Amplifier.
Is there any mathematical conversion formulae on that basis we can calculate the signal 450 mV at 100 K-ohms will be equal to how much mVolts at 500 K-ohms.

Question -02
How can I get determined the exact output from my COSMIC 4000 COGRAM Direct Drive Turntable i.e. how much millivolt at 47 K-ohms

Thank you

With kind regards

Dr. M. Kashif

Re: Cosmic turntable Output Signal

Question -02
How can I get determined the exact output from my COSMIC 4000 COGRAM Direct Drive Turntable i.e. how much millivolt at 47 K-ohms

Thank you

With kind regards

Dr. M. Kashif

check your cartridge specs it should mention on the box whether its 2.5mV or more. don't think it will be lower than 2.5mV. or if you dont have the box google your cartridge and you might find the specs online. which cartridge do you have?

regards

Mr Kashif,

I think your Phono pre-amp will accept the TT output as most Amp accept input Phono at about 2.5mv / 47 Kohms. But pl also check whether the cartridge & stylii are in good working condition, which may also lead to degraded quality of output. I recommend you to go for Audio-Technica Cartridge, for future replacement. Also instead of spending 5k for Phono pre-amp, u may consider NORGE amp with Phono Inputs as alternative, costwise as well as performance wise because the AHUJAs are not Audio-Phile grade. You may contact Mr.Shyam bajaj @ Norge Audio. Please excuse me for giving so many suggestions, but I am suggesting only some alternatives and you are the best judge to decide.

with regards,

Murali.N

Last edited:
Dear Dr. Kashif

I have two Classic 700 carts. The spec sheets state the output sensitivity as 1MV/CM/SEC 1KHz nominal. This is the lowest output I have seen on a mm cart. In fact, it is lower than some HOMC (high output moving coil) cartridges.

If you wish to use this or any other mm (moving magnet) cart with your Ahuja amp, you have to use that phono pre-amp. With the classic 700, the volume control shall probably have to go beyond the 12 O'clock position to get a decent volume.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Analogadikt

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back