Creek evolution 100A

• Thread starter Deleted member 38504
  • Start date
And if you want "warm" and "air" and "smooth" and all that nonsensical stuff, that's why they make equalizers.
Lol true! Thanks for the input mate! Would u think a 50 would suffice? Or the more headroom of the 100 would be ideal?

couple of years ago at the Mumbai whathifi show - a Creek 50 amp + Creek 50 cdp + acoustic energy AE-1 reference speakers almost had my wallet..

they were excellent - very inviting combo..

recently i heard another very inviting Audio Note combo

My previous setup was an all Naim combo - excellent as well

The Rethm amps and speakers are a matched combo that do excellently.

what i am trying to drive at is - go for a combination of amp and source - matched from the same company and same philosophy

In my audio experience - this is the safest and possibly the cheapest way to settle down with music for a long time. the cost of the individual components might be high but the "value" in terms of the long terms are very good.

If Creek - then Creek cdp + amp
If Roksan - then Roksan CDP + amp

besides the above..

They say the Atoll Electronique - has an excellent combo too and very powerful for the money - the IN 200 Signature series of amps & CDP - trawl the net and you will find it.

audition the combos before you buy

YMMV..

regards

@mpw thanks a lot, I see your point.

Oh well its gonna be a tough decision to make soon! I have a couple of weeks till I decide to take the plunge.

@keith_correa thanks again. Should I just disregard the Roksan k3 completely?

Well I’ve never heard it too, but then again I’ve only heard the creek 50 briefly. My purchase will be on reviews by fellow members here and internet reviews since it’s basically impossible to audition these amps here.

There are plenty of videos of the Roksan k3 and the tannoy XT8F online. Which are my speakers. So this is a lil tricky. Since I’m just starting out in this stuff, recommendations from actual users and reviews are very helpful.

Caspian costs twice as much as the k3 so that’s out of budget. And yes cinebels is the dealer I know. But they don’t have k3 for audition :(

couple of years ago at the Mumbai whathifi show - a Creek 50 amp + Creek 50 cdp + acoustic energy AE-1 reference speakers almost had my wallet..

they were excellent - very inviting combo..

recently i heard another very inviting Audio Note combo

My previous setup was an all Naim combo - excellent as well

The Rethm amps and speakers are a matched combo that do excellently.

what i am trying to drive at is - go for a combination of amp and source - matched from the same company and same philosophy

In my audio experience - this is the safest and possibly the cheapest way to settle down with music for a long time. the cost of the individual components might be high but the "value" in terms of the long terms are very good.

If Creek - then Creek cdp + amp
If Roksan - then Roksan CDP + amp

besides the above..

They say the Atoll Electronique - has an excellent combo too and very powerful for the money - the IN 200 Signature series of amps & CDP - trawl the net and you will find it.

audition the combos before you buy

YMMV..

regards

I dont have exp with Creek, but have heard 2 top of the line Atolls with Atohm speakers. Its warm, slightly rolled off on top with beautiful midrange. I felt the midrange a bit better-than-real, but really unique in that aspect. I myself had IN50 from the older era so they still have the same signature up the line with more focus , dynamics and power. If you are a midrange / midbass lover you will love it.

I dont have exp with Creek, but have heard 2 top of the line Atolls with Atohm speakers. Its warm, slightly rolled off on top with beautiful midrange. I felt the midrange a bit better-than-real, but really unique in that aspect. I myself had IN50 from the older era so they still have the same signature up the line with more focus , dynamics and power. If you are a midrange / midbass lover you will love it.

That fellow can sing. Dr k is right. It is an underrated brand. One of the best headphone amps that I owned was the creek obh 21 and it put most expensive amps to shame. Good honest no nonsense engineering. Same goes for their home stuff.

I see lot of Creek headphone amps on ebay in Europe. My experience with the best entry level amps are only with the Schiit Magni and the O2. Are these better than them? The next step I listened was a Lehmann audio which is 5 times more expensive than the ones mentioned. Does Creek provide considerable improvement over these entry levels? My headphones are a AKG K702 and a Beoplay H6. Sorry for hijacking. This is one of the amps I really wanted to try out but avoided due to lack of reviews. All the reviewers had only integrated amps headphone out before this in audioreview. so it must be taken with a pinch of salt. ;)

Just a thought.... price difference is the same approximately.... what would be better, a standalone creek 100a or a creek 50a and a paired 55 watt creek power amp?

I see lot of Creek headphone amps on ebay in Europe. My experience with the best entry level amps are only with the Schiit Magni and the O2. Are these better than them? The next step I listened was a Lehmann audio which is 5 times more expensive than the ones mentioned. Does Creek provide considerable improvement over these entry levels? My headphones are a AKG K702 and a Beoplay H6. Sorry for hijacking. This is one of the amps I really wanted to try out but avoided due to lack of reviews. All the reviewers had only integrated amps headphone out before this in audioreview. so it must be taken with a pinch of salt. ;)

I used the obh with the akg 702 and it was superb. It lacked the last iota of power. I was using a superb dac though. I listen to folk and country so this may not be a good match if you are into non vocal non instrumental music. I tried the Lehmann but found it very boring, not musical and lacking extension and transparency. I haven't tried the other two amps. The creek is very underrated for the amount you pay. It doesn't try and act smart by over delivering anything and is musical. That itself speaks what it does best. Even the creek cd player is like that. Doesn't act smart yet musical. And yes none of the creek products get muddy and confused when the music gets complex.

Just a thought.... price difference is the same approximately.... what would be better, a standalone creek 100a or a creek 50a and a paired 55 watt creek power amp?
Derek

Irrespective of which Amp you buy in the price range it's going to be like buying a Honda city. Reliable with a little fun thrown in but it cannot become an accord or camry. Do don't worry. Both the creek and kandy will be good enough for your speaker. I rather have a neutral Amp that sound good on everything I play rather than an amp that's strongly voiced for say only vocals or bass etc. cause you'll get tired of that one notish or tone behavior. Like others have said a good system needs synergy. Your source, speaker n over cables etc will also play a role. So instead of buying n selling and loosing money just buy a decent Amp like the creek or roksan etc and then when time and money permits build the system as a whole. The tannoy that you have is also limited in what it can do so even if you bought a 500w mark Levinson you wouldn't be able to use it to its fullest as the speaker would limit it. Watts isn't everything. Proper matching is. My setup uses 8W amps and they play as loud as my older power Amp did which was rated at 300w. The reason? Proper speaker matching. I use very sensitive speakers with the little Amp. So don't over think it or you'll get confused. See if you like the tonality of the Amp and go from there.

Dear Derek,
Consider Hegel H190 also. Be aware this amp doesn't have phono stage and you need an external one for your record player.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back