Curious to hear something different from usual

Hello Vivek,

First, the technical part. For a speaker with a sensitivity of 87 dB, to produce sound energy of 90 dB at a 1 metre distance requires an amplifier power of 2 watts. That's just for average listening. To reproduce peaks in music at the same average level, add another 10 dB. The power required jumps to about 20 watts. No wonder your low powered tube amplifier starts gasping for breath!

Now, change speakers to those of a sensitivity of 96 dB. The power required to sustain the same level of sound drops to about 0.25 watts, with 3 watts for peaks. Your low powered tube amp suddenly develops into a dynamic animal!

Low frequencies, specially, require great reserves in power from the amplifier. This is not reflected in typical specifications. And, small drivers, as in bookshelves, in spite of their ambitious claims, just can't move enough air to reproduce those low frequencies. They jump out of their sockets trying to, and sound terribly strained.

Therefore, to get the high sensitivities throughout the frequency range, you have to use pro-sound drivers. And big ones, of the order of 12" to 15" bass drivers. That makes for big speakers.

Now, for the subjective part. Somehow, tube amps just love high sensitivity speakers, especially horn speakers. It's not only the power game at play here. Tube amps revel at low level detail in music, that's what brings music alive, and horn speakers oblige by reproducing that detail. It's a synergy that happens - you have to hear it to believe it.

Yes, you can build high sensitivity speakers to fit in smaller rooms. Compromises are always there. We do it all the time.

Regards,
Viren

That is such a simple and lucid explanation. Thank you sir.
Cheers,
Raghu

nope - thats not the only reason.

with all the info that you have are you trying to imply all "lower sensitivity " speakers dont play well ??

the point is system matching.

simply having high sens speakers will not do - half of that sound is the room they are played in.

Earlier I got a pair of Quad 22Ls but they had a lot of bass boom. I then changed to a pair of bookshelves and the boom was gone.
The Rethms are the third pair of speakers I have tried in this room. Of course, they have adjustable bass which is great!

If you want high power and tube sound without blowing up your wallet, why not try a tube buffer?

I plugged in one into my NAD 3020, and over a pair of philips HiQ's, come reasonably close to an SET + altec fullranger setup I heard at an FM's place. Bass is the only thing missing, which I am working on an open baffle/bi amped setup involving ahuja woofers & a Class T amp

more on that discussion here
http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/55109-tube-preamp-class-d-power-amp-best-both-worlds.html

Last edited:
So I'm reaching about 4 years with my setup

Jamo Concert 8
Cambridge Audio Azur 840a v2
Bogdan Audio + Eichman Bullet Interconnects
Asus Xonar stx

I love the sound but I'm a bit bored and am wanting to hear some different on the chain in my usual environment - the last time I got to experience something different was when I hosted the 2012 North India HFV meet.....so was wondering...

Is there anyone in Delhi NCR / Gurgaon who'd be interested in bringing over a component of theirs and hearing it in my setup? That way both of us can enjoy something new =)

Could be any component, speaker, amp, dac, interconnects. Pic of setup attached incase you were wondering.

:)

changing the op amp section in the dac also can give you a lot of difference. i recently heard an asus xonar that had swapped the op amp section with OPA627s. he said it was quite an improvement over the stock opamps. we then swapped it with LF03D, make by forum member linuxguru. there was a marked improvement.

Hi Heliumflight

I have no power transformer in my amp:) It has smps supply. And it is by quite some distance the best amp I have ever owned. I don't think there is any hard and fast rule. It's all about implementation:)

"I don't think there is any hard and fast rule. It's all about implementation"

Best comment I have come across here in recent times. People get so stuck up in commonalities they forget implementation is the most crucial aspect of any theory, any design.

The electrocompaniet handled sound a lot like a tube amp - rolled off highs
It cannot be generalised that way IMO.

small drivers, as in bookshelves, in spite of their ambitious claims, just can't move enough air to reproduce those low frequencies. They jump out of their sockets trying to, and sound terribly strained.

Therefore, to get the high sensitivities throughout the frequency range, you have to use pro-sound drivers. And big ones, of the order of 12" to 15" bass drivers.

Sensitivity is one thing and cone control is another. These big drivers have big (and heavy) cones which would need better control with amps having good damping factor. Though I'm not trying to generalise, good damping factor is not a forte of tube amps isn't it? What's the way around!?

If you want high power and tube sound without blowing up your wallet, why not try a tube buffer?
It's neither here nor there. Trust me, speaking from experience.

Sensitivity is one thing and cone control is another. These big drivers have big (and heavy) cones which would need better control with amps having good damping factor. Though I'm not trying to generalise, good damping factor is not a forte of tube amps isn't it? What's the way around!?

To the speaker DIY gurus, take a look at this technology or claimed break through to generate serious bass.
H-PAS
Solus Audio
Atlantic Technology :: H-PAS Speakers
http://pdf.outlawaudio.com/outlaw/docs/OSB-1 Manual.pdf

I have a soundbar at home from Outlaw Audio (the last link, an AT licensed design).
Don't quite understand the physics behind it, but it defies conventional logic of low bass = big drivers.
Excerpt from the specs:
Drivers: (2) 4 woofers (2) tweeters
Frequency Response: 47Hz-20kHz +/-3dB
Crossover frequency: 4kHz
This box produces some serious bass for its diminutive size. The rest of the frequency range is not bad either.

AT has towers and stand mounts implementing this technology.

Cheers,
Raghu

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back