customs duty

What Is the Origin of the Saying "Daylight Robbery"?

In 1696, William III of England introduced a property tax which required those living in houses with more than six windows to pay a levy. In order to avoid the tax, house owners would brick up all windows except six. (The Window Tax lasted until around 1851, and older houses with bricked-up windows are still a common sight in UK.) As the bricked-up windows prevented some rooms from receiving any sunlight, the tax was referred to as "daylight robbery".
We Indians interpret "daylight robbery" as "Din Dahade Chori" , but they are not the same thing.

Rather than having it directly shipped to India have it shipped to freight forwarder & choose a courier of your choice. Yes the vendor can have contract with fedex or usps or ups & they can ship your order within NA to freight forwarder & you take it from there.
Please PM me some freight forwarders that you have worked with then. I will try to order something and see how it goes.
I need to order some vacuum tubes, and I am willing to try this method.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Can I request you to share (via PM or on a post in this thread, a pic of the bill (after masking personal information) that was raised by the freight forwarder/FedEx to you? I'm very curious to know more and I'm sure, many here will benefit from going down this route.

@Amarendra, can you also share your bill?

It would be interesting to compare both.
Sure let me search for it and share

There is a Social Welfare Surcharge. What Amarendra has shared appears correct for electronic items.

I just got my EMT 930. The duty charged is as per what Amarendra has shared.
Thank you Prem for confirming the same & congratulations on your Emt 930.

Over and above customs duty there are other charges too. There is a handling charge by DB Schenker. Their handling charges is close to 10000 for a large shipment. In addition you need to pay your customs agent for the clearing modalities. Schenker will not do that. So you need to factor in all these costs.

I read in this thread someone was charged approx 12000. That number looks correct. It would have been treated as a gift and 77.28% duty would have been charged. In addition there would be courier company handling charges for the same.

Only in a B2B transaction is duty 42%. Or to be more precise when you have an Import Export license number

If you are using air cargo and getting it cleared by an agent here, you’ll need three things with the shipment. Shipping invoice, packing list and most importantly certificate of origin.

In the shipping invoice if it says payment is 100% advance then you will need proof of payment too.

If you have all your papers in place, clearance is immediate. From the time your shipment lands, you’ll have it in your house within 12 hours.

And if you are importing electronics you need a EVR certificate too. Else they don’t clear it. In addition there should be no outer plastic packing. The fine is huge. Ideally inside too should not have anything packed in plastic. This EVR certificate and no plastic is a new addition. Last year when I got my phono, this wasn’t there

In the last 5 years I have imported 6 electronic items. I have always seen the customs go by the rule book. They don’t trouble you one bit if all your papers are in place.

Last edited:
Over and above customs duty there are other charges too. There is a handling charge by DB Schenker. Their handling charges is close to 10000 for a large shipment. In addition you need to pay your customs agent for the clearing modalities. Schenker will not do that. So you need to factor in all these costs.

I read in this thread someone was charged approx 12000. That number looks correct. It would have been treated as a gift and 77.28% duty would have been charged. In addition there would be courier company handling charges for the same.

Only in a B2B transaction is duty 42%. Or to be more precise when you have an Import Export license number

If you are using air cargo and getting it cleared by an agent here, you’ll need three things with the shipment. Shipping invoice, packing list and most importantly certificate of origin.

In the shipping invoice if it says payment is 100% advance then you will need proof of payment too.

If you have all your papers in place, clearance is immediate. From the time your shipment lands, you’ll have it in your house within 12 hours.

And if you are importing electronics you need a EVR certificate too. Else they don’t clear it. In addition there should be no outer plastic packing. The fine is huge. Ideally inside too should not have anything packed in plastic. This EVR certificate and no plastic is a new addition. Last year when I got my phono, this wasn’t there

In the last 5 years I have imported 6 electronic items. I have always seen the customs go by the rule book. They don’t trouble you one bit if all your papers are in place.
Basically they are saying don’t import !! 🫢

I honestly don’t see any problem in importing. Every country has its own set of import rules. As long as authorities are consistent and don’t hassle you, it’s fine. I haven’t experienced any issues.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back