DAC chips

Sandesh

How does one judge the quality of the dac besides the price? Especially in terms of VFM? I’m considering getting a wireless/Bluetooth preamplifier (Arylic S50 pro) with a ESS Sabre 9023 chip/24 bit/192 khz. Would it be a big improvement over my AVR’s (Onkyo TXDS676) 24bit/96khz high resolution digital conversion circuitry? Will it be a big improvement over my NAD C 521 BEE’s Burr Brown 20 bit 8x internal dac? I want to make sure I’m getting a decent enough sound improvement with a focus on details and soundstage if I am purchasing this streamer. Any help And advice would be appreciated!

Head over to audiosciencereview.com to find some answers.

Here is a top rated VFM DAC

As to whether getting a standalone DAC would be a big improvement over your avr, would need data about the NAD similar to what is shown in the review.

My limited experience with AVR getting the DAC input has always been positive and caused me to start believing in the fact that electronics do matter a LOT.

Plus from the data that the same site I have linked above, seems to measure with NAD and other Avrs, I would say yes, it is almost always the external DAC that wins out with a large margin.

So I guess it all boils down to if your avr have a good a direct mode ? Else it might process the signal internally using its own circuits and the advantage of the external DAC might be lost.

Good luck

As to whether getting a standalone DAC would be a big improvement over your avr, would need data about the NAD similar to what is shown in the review.

My limited experience with AVR getting the DAC input has always been positive and caused me to start believing in the fact that electronics do matter a LOT.

Plus from the data that the same site I have linked above, seems to measure with NAD and other Avrs, I would say yes, it is almost always the external DAC that wins out with a large margin.

So I guess it all boils down to if your avr have a good a direct mode ? Else it might process the signal internally using its own circuits and the advantage of the external DAC might be lost.

Good luck
@spaace I’m actually getting a Discrete Dynamics Power amplifier (120watts @ 8 ohms For a 80watts @6ohms speaker ) made to connect to the preamplifier for my stereo needs. I’m guessing that would help a lot? My AVR will only handle HT duties.

Also it’s a preamplifier/Bluetooth wireless with a ESS Sabre 9032 dac, so it’s not exactly standalone

Also it’s a preamplifier/Bluetooth wireless with a ESS Sabre 9032 dac, so it’s not exactly standalone
That's a good chip. However in a dac, it's not just the chip, there are tons of other components that contribute to the final sound quality and signature.

For stereo usage, it will definitely sound better than a ht receiver.

MaSh

That's a good chip. However in a dac, it's not just the chip, there are tons of other components that contribute to the final sound quality and signature.

For stereo usage, it will definitely sound better than a ht receiver.

MaSh
@MaSh buddy can you take a look at this and tell me what you think...

I’ll be linking this to a Discrete Dynamics 120 watts @ ohms power ampand connecting them to my pioneer BS22 speakers...

Good luck
That's a 500$ DAC. Add shipping and customs.
I know the chip os top of the line and all, but Is it really VFM?

Well just walk down the list of those dacs ordered by Sinad and find the best fit ...

My personal experience was that I spend money on multiple DAC upgrades each at the limit of around 250 dollar or so upgrades once I understood the sound could be improved on. With that behind me knowing how I think, it made sense for me to get something that I know I can good for next 5 years atleast.

Everyone's journey is different.

How does one judge the quality of the dac besides the price?

Hegel's marketing chief Anders Ertzeid said:
“Some users have a tendency of giving too much weight to a manufacturer’s component selection when it is really the combination of the components and their implementation that creates the magic”. How right he is, conferring that “very often the most expensive ones are not the best, if you make a good design”, citing the case of DAC chips. “ESS DAC-chips were the ‘best’ if you had no real clue about designing a DAC ground-up, and they were therefore hyped a lot: everyone could launch an ESS DAC and it would sound a certain way. But [and it’s a big but] if you did know how to design a DAC, you would use completely different chip sets, as you knew that deep down the ESS was a disaster.”
Source

@MaSh buddy can you take a look at this and tell me what you think...

I’ll be linking this to a Discrete Dynamics 120 watts @ ohms power ampand connecting them to my pioneer BS22 speakers...
Hey Hi,

Looks great on paper. How is the availability and the INR cost? I use a minidsp 2x4hd as a Dac and Preamp with my DD 120w amplifier. The pairing is brilliant. Check out the Arcam DAC on hifimart, seems to have the features you are looking for, but a different dac chip from the same brand Sabre.

MaSh

Hey Hi,

Looks great on paper. How is the availability and the INR cost? I use a minidsp 2x4hd as a Dac and Preamp with my DD 120w amplifier. The pairing is brilliant. Check out the Arcam DAC on hifimart, seems to have the features you are looking for, but a different dac chip from the same brand Sabre.

MaSh
@MaSh it should be apparently out on DIY audiocart in a couple of days and is around the 15k-20k area as far as price goes apparently. Where did you source the minidsp 2x4hd? I mainly want a wireless/blue tooth facility+dac+preamp for digital+cd+vinyl+tape purposes.

@MaSh it should be apparently out on DIY audiocart in a couple of days and is around the 15k-20k area as far as price goes apparently. Where did you source the minidsp 2x4hd? I mainly want a wireless/blue tooth facility+dac+preamp for digital+cd+vinyl+tape purposes.
Ahh if its on DIY Audio Cart, then its great. Go for it by all means. Yeh no bluetooth on minidsp.

MaSh

How does one judge the quality of the dac besides the price? Especially in terms of VFM? I’m considering getting a wireless/Bluetooth preamplifier (Arylic S50 pro) with a ESS Sabre 9023 chip/24 bit/192 khz. Would it be a big improvement over my AVR’s (Onkyo TXDS676) 24bit/96khz high resolution digital conversion circuitry? Will it be a big improvement over my NAD C 521 BEE’s Burr Brown 20 bit 8x internal dac? I want to make sure I’m getting a decent enough sound improvement with a focus on details and soundstage if I am purchasing this streamer. Any help And advice would be appreciated!
Sharing my personal experience if it can be helpful by any means, and what I've learned so far is that unfortunately best way is to judge by listening only. Have seen similar or even same DAC chips sound very different in different DACs. Audioscience reviews can also help, but I wouldn't solely rely on the DAC chip..

It's beyond my budget for certain.

Measurements are only half the story. A number of gadgets that are down the line in the Audioscience website rating list actually have better user reviews.
For example Audio GD DACs get favorable reviews from many but don't measure well.
The AmpCamp amplifier has the worst
rating but sounds quite musical.

Measurements are only half the story. A number of gadgets that are down the line in the Audioscience website rating list actually have better user reviews.
For example Audio GD DACs get favorable reviews from many but don't measure well.
The AmpCamp amplifier has the worst
rating but sounds quite musical.
I stay far away from that measuring site. It's hardly a review of any product's real life performance in my opinion.

MaSh

Back