DAC component cables

prakasse

Hi folks,

last week i visited vector systems, blore and asked for DAC component cables. He quoted 2000 RS for 2 mt normal DAC cable and another RS 2900 for premium quality DAC cable. Are they so costly? I didn't buy those.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Aren't these supposed to be analogue cables? Or are you referring to the DAC brand?

Hi folks,

last week i visited vector systems, blore and asked for DAC component cables. He quoted 2000 RS for 2 mt normal DAC cable and another RS 2900 for premium quality DAC cable. Are they so costly? I didn't buy those.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Hi Prakasse,

No experience with DAC component cables. However, I have used some of their low-end audio stereo RCA cables and the experience was extremely disappointing, to put it very mildly. May be their more expensive ones are better.

I have used 2 component cables, one from Bandridge (1m, costing only Rs 800), a good value for money. The other one is from Profigold (1m, costing Rs 2300), a significant upgrade from the Bandridge. I was using the Bandridge cable initially for connecting my BigTV STB with my LCD TV, and the Profigold was being used for DVDP to the TV connection. Currently we using a HDMI connection between the TV and the DVDP. So I have replaced the Bandridge cable with the Profigold for the STB to TV connection. There is a significant overall improvent of the picture, although I would say the Bandridge for the money was also good. I would say if can find a Bandridge component cable, go for it. Do you really need 2m length? That probably would increase the cost a bit from the Rs 800 I paid.

Marsilians,
Sir, I did not really understand your question. Can there be a digital-to-analog-converter (DAC) component cable? What was the point of your post?

No experience with DAC component cables. However, I have used some of their low-end audio stereo RCA cables and the experience was extremely disappointing, to put it very mildly. May be their more expensive ones are better.

Asit, have you spoken to Designer Audio about this? I am sure they will resolve your issue and replace the cable if necessary.

Cheers

Asit, have you spoken to Designer Audio about this? I am sure they will resolve your issue and replace the cable if necessary.

Cheers

Well I bought four of these cables each for 1K from SKS Traders Kolkata. The packages did not have anything written on it except DAC. I wanted 1m cables, cable length was also not mentioned. I prefer 1m length or even less because otherwise it becomes a jungle behind the systems. I was skeptical because of lack of any details. The salesperson also could not tell me anything about except saying that they were good quality budget cables. So I bought them completely on trust.

At home I opened one and used it. The sound was awful, especially with vocals. The tonal quality completely changed. I waited for a few days, at least 20-30 hours of playing. It did not show any significant improvement. That's when I contacted the store and ultimately could speak to the owner after a few tries. He initially was willing to take back only the ones I did not open. For me it was more of a matter of principle than money. Because I bought completely on trust when the store could not provide any information. Even the lengths were 1.5m and I was told they were 1m.

Anyway, after a bit of argument, I won the case. Returned all four of them and got my money back. However, SKS is a good dealer and I have bought from them both my current amp and cdp. Only thing is they are very lethargic in getting new stuff. They still have not got the new Arcam FMJ line, they are still selling some of their old Diva line. Perhaps the Kolkata market is not good enough for the business, I don't know.

Marsilians,
Sir, I did not really understand your question. Can there be a digital-to-analog-converter (DAC) component cable? What was the point of your post?

No Sir for me :)

Typically DACs have co-axial & optical connections and a few of the manufacturers allow for multiplexing between the 2 or more of these so you can connect more than one transport (Stello DA 100, Bryston BDA-1, CA DacMagic, Zhaolou come to mind). However at anytime only one can be active and this is usually taken care of by a physical switch.

No cable does the conversion, that job is purely the DAC's as its name suggests.

Hi Prakasse,

I have used 2 component cables, one from Bandridge (1m, costing only Rs 800), a good value for money. The other one is from Profigold (1m, costing Rs 2300), a significant upgrade from the Bandridge. I was using the Bandridge cable initially for connecting my BigTV STB with my LCD TV, and the Profigold was being used for DVDP to the TV connection. Currently we using a HDMI connection between the TV and the DVDP. So I have replaced the Bandridge cable with the Profigold for the STB to TV connection. There is a significant overall improvent of the picture, although I would say the Bandridge for the money was also good. I would say if can find a Bandridge component cable, go for it. Do you really need 2m length? That probably would increase the cost a bit from the Rs 800 I paid.

Marsilians,

Couple of days back I purchased Bandridge cabels from Croma for my TataSky+ STB :
1. SVL3302 HD Component Video cables (2m) for Rs 899.
2. SAL4202 HD Stereo Audio cables (2m) for Rs 599.

After connecting them I found considerable improvement in both video and audio.

I purchased profigold PG4201 cable for my CDP Amp interconnect. The transparency improved at once compared to the stock RCA cable provided by Maratntz with their CD6002 player. I would say the Marantz supplied cable was really of poor build and quality in comparison.

There may be better cables around, but I haven't heard them.

Regards

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back