DAC from UK

sgmane

Hi,

Iam looking to get a used external dac for the best price possible.
Can you let me know the brand/apprx price that it can be bought for?

My friend would be going to UK soon and i would like him to pick it up for me. (Will there be any customs duty when arrived here that need to be paid?)
Please note - he will pick it up (without any demo or whatsoever) as he is no audiophile.

If nothing used is available, then i need to tell him to get a new one. Price less than $200 for new. I see Breseford is discussed a lot here. Any other external dacs at this price range. (Used is my first preference). Do let me know the location (UK) from where it can be bought or online delivery at the UK address itself.

For setup: Norge 2060, Wharfedale 9.2, Ipod Nano 4G

Please suggest.

There was a city pulse dac on sale in our forum from member name bottle.

Its a very good dac. Contact him if you like the specs.

Kittu - Thanks. Yes i had seen it. Keeping it in my queue list. Since my friend is going to uk, thought to pick it up from there as well. If that does not work out (and if this is still in sale), i will look into this.
Kaushik - thanks. I shall look into this. Please note - i will not pair the DAC with the laptop or need any headphone. I will purely be using with the above setup as mentioned. (Norge 2060, Wharfedale 9.2, Ipod Nano 4G - may be a CD/DVD player later addition)

you may not be able to use a dac with your ipods unless you can extract digital audio from them.
You can get iStreamer from hrt streamer that would extract digital signal as well as convert digital to analog.

uk

a decent budget dac is the Vdac for 160 odd Pounds new
you would probably get a used one or demp piece for 120

its a good buy that much ( considering your budget)

sgmane,

I would suggest that you start looking at various hifi forums for second hand DACs and if something catches your fancy,maybe start negotiatiating with the seller. If your friend's here for a few months or so ,I'm pretty positive there should be quite a few DACs coming up. You'd get quite a lot of Beresford DACs floating about as a lot of people start with this and then upgrade to soemthing else if upgraditis catches up.

I have seen a Arcom rDAC with an upgraded power supply for about 260 second hand,I guess this may be negotiable with the seller. If you keep looking plus your friend's around for a bit of time ,you should get some good DACs .

You can get DACMAGIC used in this budget. I am not sure about the customs but would be obviously less for used ones. Check amazon.uk. I dont think you would get Emotiva used at this stage but one can always try.

Thanks to all of you for your inputs.
I shall let my friend know on this and see if he can get one for me!!

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back