Dac shootout. Hex vs Vega vs Yggdrasil

Everything connected. All working fine. Yggy sounds decent out of the box. Not as bad as guys make it out to be. Now the 15 day wait begins:)

I suggest that you also get JPS Labs' Digital AC power cord unless you already have something special.

Hi Bornfi

Thanks for the suggestion. But speaking to the Schiit guys and some users of Yggdrasil, I got the impression it did not need any special power cord

Actually Schiit recommends leaving their DACs powered on all the time and I've been doing that for nearly a year now... albeit powered on home UPS.

They don't get hot and no issues...

I left them running for a week to 10 days initially... just powered off the amp but playing 24/7.

Tech team at Schitt said it needs 300 hrs of warm up. Playback is not essential. I have left it powered. To play safe will add a surge suppressor only for the dac

Tried 4 power cords.

The one that came with Yggdrasil, Rethm solid core with Iego copper connectors, early 2000 JPS digital power cord and an Oyaide power cord

I liked the the one supplied with Yggy the best. Oyaide sounded off. Rethm sounded a bit 2 dimensional and JPS sounded too dark and rolled off

Last edited:
After 200 hrs of warm up here's how I would rate Yggy on various attributes on a scale of 5

Timing 5
Tonality 4
Timbre 4
Imaging 4
Flow 4
Staging 3.5
Frequency extension 3.5
Transparency 3.5
Resolution 3

Overall would give a 4. It's an organic, musical sounding dac with a little thickness in the mids which robs it of a bit of the music realism and presence. For the money, it's stellar.

These are strictly my personal ratings in my system. Others may hear it very differently.

Now for the traffic jam near Prem's. ??

Happy listening my friend and hope it brings you musical joy

Overall would give a 4. It's an organic, musical sounding dac with a little thickness in the mids which robs it of a bit of the music realism and presence. For the money, it's stellar.

These are strictly my personal ratings in my system. Others may hear it very differently.

Thanks for the review Prem! That was a real honest evaluation.

Did you listen to any other multibit dac that you rate higher than the Schitt in terms of openness?

Also I assume those scores were in reference to your Vinyl rig? What are you using to feed data to the Schitt?

Hi reignofchaos

In terms of transparency and resolution, Esoteric which is also a multibit r2r was much better. However I would give the edge to Yggdrasil on timing. Esoteric would probably be a 4.5. However Esoteric was more alive than the Yggy although the Yggy might have a slight edge on the flow which is to be expected since Yggy is not so resolving or that good at extremes.

While rating the Yggy, I have not used my EMT as a reference. It would be more in terms of what I hear live and at times in a studio

The EMT is more alive as compared to even the Esoteric but separation is not as good which I guess would be because of the needle touching the record.

Also EMT does not lock in the stage as well as both the Esoteric and the Yggy. Further, the Yggy is more extended than the EMT. EMT tapers of at 15khz but inspite of this, it feels it has more highs because it's resolution of the frequencies is superb. It pulls out inner details of an instrument much better than both Esoteric and Yggy. With respect to inner details, the Esoteric is better than the Yggy, making it sound more real

Reignofchaos, I use the Aries mini with its own LPS to feed the Yggy. I use Lifatec optical. In my limited exposure in Australia, I preferred the optical and aes to the USB. At present I use an external HD which will soon be replaced with an internal SSD.

Hi Vivek, am travelling from Wednesday for about 2 weeks. Let's catch up after that

Reignofchaos, I use the Aries mini with its own LPS to feed the Yggy. I use Lifatec optical. In my limited exposure in Australia, I preferred the optical and aes to the USB. At present I use an external HD which will soon be replaced with an internal SSD.

Straight out of the box I completely agree with you - coax or optical sounds better than USB.

You need a USB reclocker for USB to sound best. I use an Uptone Audio regen with a linear psu.

Once you do that, USB does sound much better than Coax/Optical.

I tried a USB Regen too but it did not work for me. USB tends to sound bigger but that bigness to my ears is noise in the music signal. I even tried the Light Harmonic USB cable. That too didn't cut ice.

It's possible the USB in Yggy is not that well implemented. So on Yggy, I would definitely not waste my time on a USB connection.

Mike Moffat himself doesn't seem too convinced about the sound quality of USB. And this in spite of Schitt being of mine of the first guys to put out Wyrd a USB reclocker. So I guess that might be reflecting in the design.

Last edited:
I tried a USB Regen too but it did not work for me.

It's possible the USB in Yggy is not that well implemented. So on Yggy, I would definitely not waste my time on a USB connection.

Mike Moffat himself doesn't seem too convinced about the sound quality of USB. And this in spite of Schitt being of mine of the first guys to put out Wyrd a USB reclocker. So I guess that might be reflecting in the design.

Did you try the regen with a linear PSU? With the wall wart in the box, it does more harm than good. It robs music of all the soul. With a linear PSU, it is a completely different experience. It is smoother, cleaner, far more organic sounding.

You could be right about USB on the schitt being bad. It uses a c-media chip instead of the standard high quality xmos2. Haven't heard a single device that uses that chip and sounds good. The Asus dac which has it was absolutely horrible sounding at my place when someone got it over.

Hi reignofchaos

I don't know if the Regen had its own LPS.

But at this point there are just too many variables involved in getting the USB to sound good.

I prefer a simple plug and play and rather wait for the guys to introduce USB 4 and 5 where all the current issues are addressed:)

Isn't it little disappointing that after buying a DAC like Yggy People had to think themselves so much way around to make it sound right with USB input:eek:?

Hi srisaikat, both Schiit and Chord designers are not fan boys of USB. So u pretty much know what u are getting into when u buy their dacs

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back