DAC suggestion for PM5005 Amp + Wharfedale Diamond 220 Spk

Hi,

For your speaker and amp, I would recommend the following at various price points.

1) Audiolab M-Dac mini for 30K on Hifimart. ESS Sabre32 9018 DaC is very good and this comes with coax, optical, USB and BT inputs. It has a headphone amp with a battery for portable use but not sure if this feature is of interest to you. I would recommend this over Fiio or Topping entry level DACs. This DAC partners well with the rest of your system.

2) Yamaha WCX-50 which is a streamer+preamp+DAC. You can turn off pre-amp and send the pre-amp out to your amp. Has only optical, BT, Airplay inputs besides all streaming apps. Available for 28K on Amazon.

3) Rpi+Allo Boss+Moode/Volumio - Overall sound quality of this DAC might not be up to Audiolab standards but is great value for money. This does not have any optical or coax inputs but an external SDD can be connected to RPi. You get a streamer+DAC for around 11-12k.

Thanks,
Shyam.

Hi,

For your speaker and amp, I would recommend the following at various price points.

1) Audiolab M-Dac mini for 30K on Hifimart. ESS Sabre32 9018 DaC is very good and this comes with coax, optical, USB and BT inputs. It has a headphone amp with a battery for portable use but not sure if this feature is of interest to you. I would recommend this over Fiio or Topping entry level DACs. This DAC partners well with the rest of your system.

2) Yamaha WCX-50 which is a streamer+preamp+DAC. You can turn off pre-amp and send the pre-amp out to your amp. Has only optical, BT, Airplay inputs besides all streaming apps. Available for 28K on Amazon.

3) Rpi+Allo Boss+Moode/Volumio - Overall sound quality of this DAC might not be up to Audiolab standards but is great value for money. This does not have any optical or coax inputs but an external SDD can be connected to RPi. You get a streamer+DAC for around 11-12k.

Thanks,
Shyam.
Thanks for the clear suggestion, let me check out Audiolab M-Dac mini too.

Yes, exactly I need such a DAC, but I am not for laptop. I would like to add decent network player to DAC.

CCA - just an optional standby streamer if any music service not supported by network player proposed
BT - used during offline moments and useful with small radio apps which don't support streaming. But I don't expext BT support from DAC.
I need good SPDIF transports to connect external network player. I am not keen on USB inputs.
Allo Digione is a decent SPDIF transport. The model I settled on was the basic combo.
- 2 board sandwich with stock PS
- RPI4B+ with Digione HAT running Volumio

Online Streamer:
- Spotify comes as a plugin for Volumio; no extra subscription required (Paid version of Spotify is quite good; 16/44.1 at 320 kbps sounds the same as FLAC from USB)
I always view FLAC as a good storage format and 320 kbps resolution is good enough for me (I don't think my rig/ears require Tidal level of fidelity; the only time it "reveals" itself is when dust covers are removed)
- Amazon Music/Gaana is not supported for sure (CCA is the casting glue here)

Network Streamer (offline but internal network access):
- Volumio can index and access music stored on laptop/PC that is on same network

USB Storage (offline):
- Volumio can access pendrive or external HDD to index and access music (MP3, FLACs, WAV, etc)

SPDIF is an output/transport mechanism after the online-streamer/network-player/offline-player going to a DAC.

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
Assuming you dont want to change your Marantz amp, for your needs the Yamaha WX-50 works best.

Otherwise the option is to go for a network AV receiver. Marantz, Denon, Onkyo and Yamaha have some good options. These will be able to play Spotify, Tidal etc as well as FLAC via USB

Last edited:
Assuming you dont want to change your Marantz amp, for your needs the Yamaha WX-50 works best.

Otherwise the option is to go for a network AV receiver. Marantz, Denon, Onkyo and Yamaha have some good options. These will be able to play Spotify, Tidal etc as well as FLAC via USB
Initially I considered entry level 5.1 AVR from reputed brands too. But I don't want to pay extra for those built-in amps. So I ended up considering WXC-50 kind of solution. Do you think WXC-50 kind of dedicated DAC and Network Player will have better SQ than entry level Yamaha/Denon/... AVR?

Initially I considered entry level 5.1 AVR from reputed brands too. But I don't want to pay extra for those built-in amps. So I ended up considering WXC-50 kind of solution. Do you think WXC-50 kind of dedicated DAC and Network Player will have better SQ than entry level Yamaha/Denon/... AVR?
The WXC-50 is a nice niche product. It has a lot of features packed into a small form factor.
- wired/wifi/BT/USB
- DAC or digital out
- 2.1 Preamp
- Opt input too
- Yamaha DSP
- Remote and Controller App

No idea about SQ, but this was a product I had considered a while ago
But then I made a decision to go the conventional way and bought hifi separates
One box doing one thing (or at max two).

Maybe a solution in your use case scenario

Cheers,
Raghu

One box doing one thing (or at max two).
Exactly.Though I like WXC-50 a lot, I have learnt from past experience - tempt to go for standalone units than combined. But this route is costlier for me. Already I have stepped up a lot on budget (for audiophiles it may be a low budget still). That is why my original question had that as an option.

Is it possible to get a decent SQ seperate DAC & Network Player for 40K of total budget. I can buy in phases. If so which gears you may suggest?

I like Audiolab 6000N, but it costs at least 48K (out of stock in hifimart, any where else available?) which is well beyond my total budget of 40K for DAC+Player. It has both Coax/Optical Digital Out along with RCA Out. Any such network player?

Audiolab seems to be popular choice, affordable and good sound/build quality as per user reviews
Try to hear it out and decide SQ, usability, etc.
Then see if you can gather up funds in say 3-6 months and make a purchase.
Take it slow, have patience, something will click.

If you get an outboard DAC with Coax input, Allo Digione player should be in your radar.
For 30K there are enough DACs to satisfy even hungry audiophiles.
Eg. Schiit Bifrost (B-Stock) Multibit, Gen 5 USB, 230V $399 (its there on their closeout section)
I can't be of more help in DAC arena, because I made a conscious decision not to play this game.

Going separates is a long term commitment and sometimes may involve significant financial outlay.
So it depends on where you want to be, say 2 years from now, and start planning around it.
Some of my components, for the features and SQ they provide, I could easily justify the price.
Once this was done, the main issue was procurement. Had to wait for US/UK mule service.
And I have bought many used/demo items to save cost. The bulwark of my stereo rig are used (LyritaDHT + AKSA).
And got them together for a drool worthy price (thanks @jai1611)

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
In my experience using entry to mid level HT and Stereo Amps, the dedicated 2 channel setup always sound sbetter

As regards to the WXC-50, I am not too sure about the DAC used. But you can always add something like the Modi3 which is not too expensive.

Now coming to my upgrade which I did last month I was kind of in a similar situation

I considered the Yamaha unit you are looking at and the Audiolab 6000N to use with my PM6006 but then did not want 2 units. So I opted for the Denon DRA-800H. My first choice was the Marantz NR1200 but that was not in stock and Hifimart had the Denon was in stock then.

Both units are not on stock now. This worked out to be a good upgrade for me.

Last edited:
In my experience using entry to mid level HT and Stereo Amps, the dedicated 2 channel setup always sound sbetter

As regards to the WXC-50, I am not too sure about the DAC used. But you can always add something like the Modi3 which is not too expensive.

Now coming to my upgrade which I did last month I was kind of in a similar situation

I considered the Yamaha unit you are looking at and the Audiolab 6000N to use with my PM6006 but then did not want 2 units. So I opted for the Denon DRA-800H. My first choice was the Marantz NR1200 but that was not in stock and Hifimart had the Denon was in stock then.

Both units are not on stock now. This worked out to be a good upgrade for me.
Please tell us more about the Denon DRA 800 H.

Please tell us more about the Denon DRA 800 H.

Looking for anything specific?

Check these threads

Looking for anything specific?

Check these threads

WXC-50 is a convenient DAC+Streamer+Preamp and nothing more than that. This is tuned for a mainstream audience and is 'fun' sounding. In terms of sound quality, it is a few levels below other comparable solutions such as Audiolab 6000N or Bluesound Node 2i. But one can't ask for a lot at that price. So great value for money.

Exactly.Though I like WXC-50 a lot, I have learnt from past experience - tempt to go for standalone units than combined. But this route is costlier for me. Already I have stepped up a lot on budget (for audiophiles it may be a low budget still). That is why my original question had that as an option.

Is it possible to get a decent SQ seperate DAC & Network Player for 40K of total budget. I can buy in phases. If so which gears you may suggest?

I like Audiolab 6000N, but it costs at least 48K (out of stock in hifimart, any where else available?) which is well beyond my total budget of 40K for DAC+Player. It has both Coax/Optical Digital Out along with RCA Out. Any such network player?

Check DRA-800H and Marantz NR1200. You can monetize your 5005 and go for them. Both are one box solution for your needs.

WXC 50 is also not a bad solution at all.

This still seems like the best option for your system.

You could even consider:

MaSh

The seller is brand new on Amazon. And delivery date is end of Aug.
Proceed after researching.
Cheers,
Raghu
I was about to say the same :) but if it turns out to be legit, I'm jumping the bandwagon for sure!

The seller is brand new on Amazon. And delivery date is end of Aug.
Proceed after researching.
Cheers,
Raghu
Worst that could happen will be money/order stuck for a week or 2. After that Amazon would cancel the order and issue refund. Been through that earlier also so no worries.

Worst that could happen will be money/order stuck for a week or 2. After that Amazon would cancel the order and issue refund. Been through that earlier also so no worries.
Even that's fine, but if the seller delivers something else/damaged piece, there'll be no support from Amazon as its not fulfilled.
Amazon not even accepting COD

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back