DAC suggestion for PM5005 Amp + Wharfedale Diamond 220 Spk

I am planning to add network streamer later and other source too.

I am also going through similar confusion, and following this thread.
Instead of all-in-one streamer, some times i feel that we should have an independent DAC which is great sounding. But its greatness also depends on the source connected to the DAC. e.g. pi / allo / cd player / streamer / cca / etc If the timing of data dispatched via optical / coaxial / usb is not that great, then the DAC will also not sound great.

I am also going through similar confusion, and following this thread.
Instead of all-in-one streamer, some times i feel that we should have an independent DAC which is great sounding. But its greatness also depends on the source connected to the DAC. e.g. pi / allo / cd player / streamer / cca / etc If the timing of data dispatched via optical / coaxial / usb is not that great, then the DAC will also not sound great.
I guess better get something like CCA which as optical out and buy a dedicated DAC like Modi 3/Topping E30 around the 10k mark. Will take care of your streaming issues and you'll have a good quality independent DAC

@swamytk
Im in the same boat as you with a Norge 1000 and DIY bookshelf speakers. Currently using inbuilt chromecast from a smart tv (as streamer) which outputs to a Fiio D03K cheap DAC.

I asked my brother to pick up the Topping E30 after seeing its glowing reviews and measurements. Now becoming impatient as I'm not finding anyone to bring back the Topping E30 purchased in US .
See if you can get a used Yamaha wxc-50

Last edited:
Thanks to a good discussion here with you all, I have decided to narrow down my search to DAC only. Though I like Yamaha WXC-50, it looks like compromised solution for both DAC and Network streamer. I have similar solution already being setup in living room as HT 5.1.2 (primarily for movies) which can serve Tidal/Spotify streamer, basic Aptx Bluetooth and USB HiRes player role. So I would like to build a good quality chain over the period of time for Stereo Music system in bed room. Till I save for good network streamer, I will continue with my favourite CCA as streamer alongwith proposed DAC's HD Bluetooth.

So I have refined my requirement as USB/Toslink/Coax + BT LDAC/AptX HD input supported DAC. The one I have shortlisted is Topping D50S which comes under my budget of 15K to 20K. As bonus it has nice info display along with remote control and well reviewed by ASR. Please let me know any other gear with above features. Though I like Topping E30 for lesser cost, it does not have BT input and will end up in adding one more small gadget (BT Rx) lying around. No more I want to spread gears horizontally, prefer to build good chain layer by layer vertically.

Last edited:
I am setting up my HT 5.1.2 since yesterday. Now I hear entirely different sound from Denon X1400H AVR + Polk S50/S35/S20 speakers even in Stereo mode. I don't know audiophile words to describe this Sound signature. Similarly I like a lot Edifier R1280DB Powered studio monitor's sound. Even Fiio E10K found to be more cleaner. But I don't like FX Audio DAX X6 sound through PM5005.

Can you figure out what kind of sound I like in audiophile jargons like dynamic, forward, harsh, neutral, warm, bright....?
Just try matching the Polk S20 with pm5005 and move the 220s to the HT set up. I think you will enjoy this combo more. If it doesn't please you, you can swap back.

Thanks to a good discussion here with you all, I have decided to narrow down my search to DAC only. Though I like Yamaha WXC-50, it looks like compromised solution for both DAC and Network streamer. I have similar solution already being setup in living room as HT 5.1.2 (primarily for movies) which can serve Tidal/Spotify streamer, basic Aptx Bluetooth and USB HiRes player role. So I would like to build a good quality chain over the period of time for Stereo Music system in bed room. Till I save for good network streamer, I will continue with my favourite CCA as streamer alongwith proposed DAC's HD Bluetooth.

So I have refined my requirement as USB/Toslink/Coax + BT LDAC/AptX HD input supported DAC. The one I have shortlisted is Topping D50S which comes under my budget of 15K to 20K. As bonus it has nice info display along with remote control and well reviewed by ASR. Please let me know any other gear with above features. Though I like Topping E30 for lesser cost, it does not have BT input and will end up in adding one more small gadget (BT Rx) lying around. No more I want to spread gears horizontally, prefer to build good chain layer by layer vertically.
If you are interested, there is a Digione up for sale by a forum member.
Aluminum case and stock PS.
Cheers,
Raghu

PM5005 and wharf 220 level is the level of AQ Black or AQ Beetle.
:confused: Can you please explain more?
As per online source: Dark/Darkness – Usually described when the higher frequencies are less prominent.
But I hear more sharp/harsh/bright sound - which is not a property of low frequency, right? Sorry, I don't get.

Last edited:
:confused: Can you please explain more?
As per online source: Dark/Darkness – Usually described when the higher frequencies are less prominent.
But I hear more sharp/harsh/bright sound - which is not a property of low frequency, right? Sorry, I don't get.

He is talking about AudioQuest Black & AudioQuest Beetle DAC models.

Being tubelight on Audio... Still not clear.. What is the meaning of "..... level is the level of AQ Black or AQ Beetle."
If you want to build a system where the capability of components is not wasted then you look at their level (which is a simple english term).
For e.g. your speaker and amplifier are roughly at the same level.
So here beetle and black are roughly at the level of 5005 and 220.

Last edited:
Being tubelight on Audio... Still not clear.. What is the meaning of "..... level is the level of AQ Black or AQ Beetle."
Just get something that you can afford and source easily.
How it gels or not with your existing components (or future ones) is anyone's guess.
Work with your rig as a whole, tweak here & there and then sit back and enjoy the content.
Magic never happens on day one.

I'm still using a PM7001 from 2006. It was main stay for almost 12 years (in IA mode, then preamp mode)
It went for IA duty in dad's rig; now it's back home for a trial in my boy's bedroom
So there you go. Components come and go (or repurposed in my case)

So chill, the Topping DAC is well reviewed.
Your IA and BS are good gear.

Cheers,
Raghu

I am looking into possibilities of upgrading my music system. Current system chain:

FX Audio DAC X6 is not good enough, often cracks burstling sound. I would like to change these sources and DAC into a simple chain with better units as mentioned below in a phased manner. I am looking into DAC first and Network player (Tidal/Spotify/Bluetooth/HiRes USB Player) later.

Q1: Which one of above options is worth for my Amp + Spk setup?
Q2: What are the parameters to look for in a DAC purchase. Only thing I know is Optical/Coaxia/USB inputs + Bits/Frequency supported. I would like to have a simple display to show audio resolution (bits/freq).
Q3: Please suggest me a DAC considering my humble Amp + Spk setup well. DAC's feature should be really converted into SQ through this Amp+Spk. I want neither overspend nor go for cheap products.
Q4. I am not sure what is the price range it needs. So I don't know my budget.
Q5: I noticed Yamaha WXC-50 as good one for both DAC + Network Player combined unit. Any comments?

Update: I would like to add that I don't use headphones. I need a full fledged DAC and avoiding something desktop model and portable.
I am looking into possibilities of upgrading my music system. Current system chain:

FX Audio DAC X6 is not good enough, often cracks burstling sound. I would like to change these sources and DAC into a simple chain with better units as mentioned below in a phased manner. I am looking into DAC first and Network player (Tidal/Spotify/Bluetooth/HiRes USB Player) later.

Q1: Which one of above options is worth for my Amp + Spk setup?
Q2: What are the parameters to look for in a DAC purchase. Only thing I know is Optical/Coaxia/USB inputs + Bits/Frequency supported. I would like to have a simple display to show audio resolution (bits/freq).
Q3: Please suggest me a DAC considering my humble Amp + Spk setup well. DAC's feature should be really converted into SQ through this Amp+Spk. I want neither overspend nor go for cheap products.
Q4. I am not sure what is the price range it needs. So I don't know my budget.
Q5: I noticed Yamaha WXC-50 as good one for both DAC + Network Player combined unit. Any comments?

Update: I would like to add that I don't use headphones. I need a full fledged DAC and avoiding something desktop model and portable.
I think two aspects that are missing from the question is how you want to control the playback i.e. what’s your front-end?
Is it a phone? If android, maybe all you need is a CCA (if you can find one)
If it’s an iphone, perhaps an old airport express (again, if you can find one) is all that you need

The second - probably a little less relevant but important nonetheless is what are your preferred sources... Spotify/ Local files / Tidal/ Apple Music or more?

I think two aspects that are missing from the question is how you want to control the playback i.e. what’s your front-end?
Is it a phone? If android, maybe all you need is a CCA (if you can find one)
If it’s an iphone, perhaps an old airport express (again, if you can find one) is all that you need

The second - probably a little less relevant but important nonetheless is what are your preferred sources... Spotify/ Local files / Tidal/ Apple Music or more?
Spotify/Tidal: I prefer native network player (on pipeline to purchase after DAC)
Rest of streaming apps: CCA (already have one)
BT: Streaming from apps which don't support casting - Projector audio (requirement till I upgrade my projector and move to Living room HT), Indian FM online streaming and others.
USB SSD Local Flac: A small collection for offline playing during internet outage.

No Apple ecosystem

If you want to build a system where the capability of components is not wasted then you look at their level (which is a simple english term).
For e.g. your speaker and amplifier are roughly at the same level.
So here beetle and black are roughly at the level of 5005 and 220.
Thanks a lot for your patience

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back