DAC suggestion for PM5005 Amp + Wharfedale Diamond 220 Spk

Worst that could happen will be money/order stuck for a week or 2. After that Amazon would cancel the order and issue refund. Been through that earlier also so no worries.
What if the product dies on 11th day, which is just after the return window? Also just realised that this is not mkii version.
I'll wait until something good (Schiit Modi or Topping E30) is in stock with one of the only warranty providers for budget DACs in our country!

What if the product dies on 11th day, which is just after the return window? Also just realised that this is not mkii version.
I'll wait until something good (Schiit Modi or Topping E30) is in stock with one of the only warranty providers for budget DACs in our country!
Topping E30 looks like a good option for me too. I am watching....

WXC-50 is a convenient DAC+Streamer+Preamp and nothing more than that. This is tuned for a mainstream audience and is 'fun' sounding. In terms of sound quality, it is a few levels below other comparable solutions such as Audiolab 6000N or Bluesound Node 2i. But one can't ask for a lot at that price. So great value for money.
Do you think PM5005 kind of entry level Amp can really reproduce the higher SQ of Audiolab and Bluesound streamers?

It looks good. Any idea about SQ? It has MQA decoder too :cool: In case I stream tidal MQA, will it make any difference in SQ with my PM5005 AMP + Spk?
Well It will surely be a lot better than your current setup. Check its reviews and also its specs.

MaSh

WXC-50 - In terms of sound quality, it is a few levels below other comparable solutions such as Audiolab 6000N or Bluesound Node 2i. But one can't ask for a lot at that price. So great value for money.
Can you tell me how do you say WXC-50 is a few levels below other two mentioned? I would like to know technical parameters/spec on which you compare. I am totally new to this world of DAC.

Well It will surely be a lot better than your current setup. Check its reviews and also its specs.

MaSh
@MaSh Sorry, If I my question is not clear. I meant whether my Amp + Spk is good enough to exhibit the high SQ out from S2 Project DAC? This question is generic to any DAC I am considering to avoid spending for good SQ DAC which my Amp+Spk may not utilize.

Is it possible to get a decent SQ seperate DAC
I have the same Amp and am as budget conscious as you.
I used to have Schiit Modi DAC for 3 years before it stopped functioning.
Now I am having Topping D30 DAC. To my ears, Topping D30 has more details than Modi.
Both the DAC cost me less than 10k.
I use deadbeef/GMusic browser to get bit perfect audio from the computer to the DAC as per the guide available in head-fi.org
Hope it helps.

@MaSh Sorry, If I my question is not clear. I meant whether my Amp + Spk is good enough to exhibit the high SQ out from S2 Project DAC? This question is generic to any DAC I am considering to avoid spending for good SQ DAC which my Amp+Spk may not utilize.
You have a very good setup and it will surely benefit from a better dac.

MaSh

Do you think PM5005 kind of entry level Amp can really reproduce the higher SQ of Audiolab and Bluesound streamers?
Yes, you should be able to notice a significant improvement with your equipment over your current DAC with any of the new DACs you are considering. However, keep the DAC/streamer price comparable ie below 40-50K and not too expensive. Usually when it is time for upgrade, one should replace the weakest element in the chain and that is the DAC/Streamer in your case if you are looking for digital audio.

Once you have a new DAC, then you should start with your speakers and then work your way through down the chain :). This is the beginning of your journey down the rabbit hole :)

Can you tell me how do you say WXC-50 is a few levels below other two mentioned? I would like to know technical parameters/spec on which you compare. I am totally new to this world of DAC.

WCX-50 has ESS 9010 DAC while Audiolab 6000N has ESS 9018 series DAC. The latter measures slightly better in terms of SINAD, SNR, linearity and output voltage. Look at Audio Science Review (ASR) website for subjective DAC measurements. How much of these measurements translates into subjective listening is a different story altogether. When I say one is better over another, it is purely based on my own subjective listening experience and not measurements or specs.

You have a very good setup and it will surely benefit from a better dac.

MaSh
I am setting up my HT 5.1.2 since yesterday. Now I hear entirely different sound from Denon X1400H AVR + Polk S50/S35/S20 speakers even in Stereo mode. I don't know audiophile words to describe this Sound signature. Similarly I like a lot Edifier R1280DB Powered studio monitor's sound. Even Fiio E10K found to be more cleaner. But I don't like FX Audio DAX X6 sound through PM5005.

Can you figure out what kind of sound I like in audiophile jargons like dynamic, forward, harsh, neutral, warm, bright....?

Last edited:
I am setting up my HT 5.1.2 since yesterday. Now I hear entirely different sound from Denon X1400H AVR + Polk S50/S35/S20 speakers even in Stereo mode. I don't know audiophile words to describe this Sound signature. Similarly I like a lot Edifier R1280DB Powered studio monitor's sound. Even Fiio E10K found to be more cleaner. But I don't like FX Audio DAX X6 sound through PM5005.

Can you figure out what kind of sound I like in audiophile jargons like dynamic, forward, harsh, neutral, war, bright....?
Lol no I cannot. Dont bother with them, they are just jargons. In the end you need to just enjoy your music. Nothing else matters.

Aa I keep repeating everywhere, music that we listen is influenced by every component in the chain. It's like icecream in different flavours.

MaSh

Lol no I cannot. Dont bother with them, they are just jargons. In the end you need to just enjoy your music. Nothing else matters.

Aa I keep repeating everywhere, music that we listen is influenced by every component in the chain. It's like icecream in different flavours.

MaSh
:) I understood. The reason I would like to understand my favourite sound signature is to find out right DAC (not going out to do audition). Do you have any recommendation?

Once you have a new DAC, then you should start with your speakers and then work your way through down the chain :). This is the beginning of your journey down the rabbit hole :)
Leaving HFV is the only way to opt out of rabbit hole :cool:

Wouldn't the Allo Katana player(Dac+streamer) be a good choice as well, it has glowing reviews all over the net.

Wouldn't the Allo Katana player(Dac+streamer) be a good choice as well, it has glowing reviews all over the net.
Having tried Volumio kind of interfaces on RPi, I am NOT confident of its stability and lagging interface. Along with that I need to pay premium for volumio to support Tidal streaming apart from Tidal subscription. Often Tidal plugin for volumio seems to be broken. In fact I have built my simple MPD streaming player using command line with USB storage on top of RPi3 which never failed to impress me with performance and stability. I use this setup only for offline playing during internet down time. Even RPi3 built-in Bluetooth is also not good enough for quality streaming. Again my primary requirement is not offline FLAC streaming through USB input, I am planning to add any other Optic/Coax sources as flexible as possible. I am not sure I am missing anything from Allo + RPi DACs, please enlighten me if I miss anything important.

If any such RPi HAT based DAC can provide stable network streaming without extra premium and optical/coaxial input then I may consider it.

So I ended up moving to a generic DAC with Optic/Coax/USB inputs and BT if possible. I am planning to add network streamer later and other source too.

This is not to discourage your search for an external DAC, but my experience with RPi+Allo Boss DAC is very stable on streaming (never tried Tidal) Spotify. In your case just addition of BOSS DAC (only INR 3200), will make your RPi a very good DAC+Streamer. Only thing, you need to scrap the Volumio and use MoodeAudio image which is free in every means plus very stable and faster library indexing. But of course, there will not be any digital inputs unike other external DACs.

I think, I am talking too much on Allo products these days ....;)

This is not to discourage your search for an external DAC, but my experience with RPi+Allo Boss DAC is very stable on streaming (never tried Tidal) Spotify. In your case just addition of BOSS DAC (only INR 3200), will make your RPi a very good DAC+Streamer. Only thing, you need to scrap the Volumio and use MoodeAudio image which is free in every means plus very stable and faster library indexing. But of course, there will not be any digital inputs unike other external DACs.
Thanks for sharing your feedback. It helps. Being a noob I don't reject anything... Let me look into more on MoodeAudio image.

I think, I am talking too much on Allo products these days ....;)
Nothing bad. Passion drives knowledge!!!

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back