DAC suggestion for PM5005 Amp + Wharfedale Diamond 220 Spk

Honestly, upgrading a significant portion of your chain just for MQA support is actually not worth the effort and money. There is hardly any discernable difference between Tidal MQA and Tidal Hifi streams for the same track. Unless your chain is super revealing. Trust me. I have a headphone DAC, amp and IEM that costs as much as both of my HiFi systems put together and I can barely make out the difference between MQA files and regular 16bit/44.1KHz files.
Well that's something revealing. I did have an inkling about the discerning factor between these 2 quality modes but didn't want to believe...rather had head strong feeling as to why can't i utilize that option when am already paying for it.
Now that you mentioned it I think I will stick to the existing HT setup...just upgrade the speakers.
I will get my desktop audio to a decent level. In that direction got myself an Astel&Kern Billie Jean IEM.
Will get a DAC soon.
Looks like you have a superb desktop audio setup though I can't spend anywhere close to by the looks of it however I have a query. Do you reckon changing to a balanced cable will make sense coz that would cost 12k?
I will get a DAC with balanced cable support.
Also I will use IEM for now so I guess amp is not required.

Well that's something revealing. I did have an inkling about the discerning factor between these 2 quality modes but didn't want to believe...rather had head strong feeling as to why can't i utilize that option when am already paying for it.
Now that you mentioned it I think I will stick to the existing HT setup...just upgrade the speakers.
I will get my desktop audio to a decent level. In that direction got myself an Astel&Kern Billie Jean IEM.
Will get a DAC soon.
Looks like you have a superb desktop audio setup though I can't spend anywhere close to by the looks of it however I have a query. Do you reckon changing to a balanced cable will make sense coz that would cost 12k?
I will get a DAC with balanced cable support.
Also I will use IEM for now so I guess amp is not required.
Well, I don't want to get drawn into the debate of musical superiority of a headphone vs Hifi system. Your priorities might be different from mine.

Yes, upgrading to a balanced cable for an IEM does make a significant difference in the sound. However for A&K Billie Jean IEM that costs 10k, it might be not be prudent to get an unbalanced cable that costs 12K. An unbalanced cable in 2-3K range should suffice.

Honestly, upgrading a significant portion of your chain just for MQA support is actually not worth the effort and money. There is hardly any discernable difference between Tidal MQA and Tidal Hifi streams for the same track. Unless your chain is super revealing. Trust me. I have a headphone DAC, amp and IEM that costs as much as both of my HiFi systems put together and I can barely make out the difference between MQA files and regular 16bit/44.1KHz files.
I have a chord mojo which feeds an SR6013/PM6006/Crown 1502 but does not support MQA decoding. I have just subscribed to the Hifi plan so i was wondering if i'm losing out on MQA. Is there any way of adding it to my system without spending big bucks or is it better to stick to hifi tracks for now? Also, i can' t tell the difference between apple music/Spotify and tidal hifi streams in my current setup..

I have a chord mojo which feeds an SR6013/PM6006/Crown 1502 but does not support MQA decoding. I have just subscribed to the Hifi plan so i was wondering if i'm losing out on MQA. Is there any way of adding it to my system without spending big bucks or is it better to stick to hifi tracks for now? Also, i can' t tell the difference between apple music/Spotify and tidal hifi streams in my current setup..

You would need a DAC that can do full MQA decoding.

If you are interested in a low-cost way one can get MQA on a home Hifi, this is the cheapest method I know. Check out this weirdly-named but very nifty smartphone MQA DAC which costs around $100 last time I checked.

Zorloo Stella has an ESS DAC and can do full unfolding of MQA files. You would need to use a paid UAPP app (Rs 350 for app purchase) on your smartphone for bit-perfect pass-thru of Tidal MQA files to DAC. Connect a 3.5mm male to RCA male to your amp inputs and viola, you have a MQA streaming!

Disclaimer - Have only read reviews of this DAC/Dongle and have not personally tried this.

You would need a DAC that can do full MQA decoding.

If you are interested in a low-cost way one can get MQA on a home Hifi, this is the cheapest method I know. Check out this weirdly-named but very nifty smartphone MQA DAC which costs around $100 last time I checked.

Zorloo Stella has an ESS DAC and can do full unfolding of MQA files. You would need to use a paid UAPP app (Rs 350 for app purchase) on your smartphone for bit-perfect pass-thru of Tidal MQA files to DAC. Connect a 3.5mm male to RCA male to your amp inputs and viola, you have a MQA streaming!

Disclaimer - Have only read reviews of this DAC/Dongle and have not personally tried this.
Thanks! seems like a worthwhile option to try out without breaking the bank.

If you can't see a much difference between Spotify & Tidal HiFi in current setup, Why loose sleep over MQA?

Well, I don't want to get drawn into the debate of musical superiority of a headphone vs Hifi system. Your priorities might be different from mine.

Yes, upgrading to a balanced cable for an IEM does make a significant difference in the sound. However for A&K Billie Jean IEM that costs 10k, it might be not be prudent to get an unbalanced cable that costs 12K. An unbalanced cable in 2-3K range should suffice.

Thanks for your suggestion. Will get a DAC for now and hold off cable upgrade.

Well I did get d Billie Jean IEM not just cos of d current price point...they do market it as biginnner audiophile for $350 sans the balanced cable...which I can do without...so asking if getting a DAC with balanced cable support n changing the cable is the solution?

Well I did get d Billie Jean IEM not just cos of d current price point...they do market it as biginnner audiophile for $350 sans the balanced cable...which I can do without...so asking if getting a DAC with balanced cable support n changing the cable is the solution?

Based on the IEM I have now...and possible headphone upgrade including Meze 99..which DAC wud u advice...Ifi Zen DAC attractive but I want something future proof without breaking the bank.

Dear FMs, I bring this thread to logical conclusion by announcing happily that I have ordered a Topping E30 DAC from hpz. The decision is based on VFM.
I've ordered the same.. The only reason I chose the E30 over the D50s is because I already have a BT transceiver with aptX LL and optical out which can be used for streaming from my phone.

I've ordered the same.. The only reason I chose the E30 over the D50s is because I already have a BT transceiver with aptX LL and optical out which can be used for streaming from my phone.
Exactly! I already have BT 5.0 Aptx HD / LDAC supported Receiver with Optical and Coaxial out which works very good. So skipped D50s. Based on both objective and subjective reviews of E30, I believe Topping E30 is VFM product. Again I get a lot of fancy stuff like Display (very useful for newbie like me), Remote and Filters support apart from DSD.

Have you compare it with schitt modi 3...which cost the Same...
Being a newbie to DAC, two factors:
1. Both objective review (read as ASR) and subjective reviews are in favour of Topping E30 which competes with its higher end products.
2. Loads features like DSD support, Info Display, Filter selection and Remote control. Remote is handy since plannig to use all three inputs. No toggling switch (afraid of pop if sound if any).

Being a newbie to DAC, two factors:
1. Both objective review (read as ASR) and subjective reviews are in favour of Topping E30 which competes with its higher end products.
2. Loads features like DSD support, Info Display, Filter selection and Remote control. Remote is handy since plannig to use all three inputs. No toggling switch (afraid of pop if sound if any).
Topping DACs are good...I am using DX3 Pro...one thing I want to tell you that filters are there but will not notice any significant difference in sound on changing filter atleast I couldn't make out

Topping DACs are good...I am using DX3 Pro...one thing I want to tell you that filters are there but will not notice any significant difference in sound on changing filter atleast I couldn't make out
Yes, I reddit. The below one is a comment from a redditor for DX3 Pro - applies to most of the DACs including E30 :)

[–]QuipATopdecking lethal 5 points 1 year ago
They had a spare button with no function on the remote, so they came up with something that has zero impact, but let's you smash that filter setting.

1597483310868.png
In serious note, this is what it is supposed to be heard if some one having golden ear. If some one wants to time pass, one can keep listening the same track in loop in all filter settings and try to match with it one's own listening experience. The objective is to identify the filter used in blind fold test :cool:

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back