DAC suggestion for PM5005 Amp + Wharfedale Diamond 220 Spk

Out of the frying pan and into the fire ?
One chinese after another?
:) Why the country of origin is the issue here? Do you mean technical aspects of this specific product is inferior than others or quality assurance of chinese products under question?

Spotify/Tidal: I prefer native network player (on pipeline to purchase after DAC)
Rest of streaming apps: CCA (already have one)
BT: Streaming from apps which don't support casting - Projector audio (requirement till I upgrade my projector and move to Living room HT), Indian FM online streaming and others.
USB SSD Local Flac: A small collection for offline playing during internet outage.

No Apple ecosystem
I am not on android but I think your existing CCA will serve all your needs but the hdmi video feed.
Why not simply use your android phone to direct Spotify etc to use the CCA as your audio renderer?

The DAC on the CCA is well regarded. but if you think it’s not good enough, you’ll find plenty of well regarded (and well measuring) optical to analog DACs for really cheap.

The hdmi feeds to you projector are a bit challenging but coupling a decent hdmi extractor (digital out) with a simple digital coax/toslink to rca will do the trick and will definitely be several step ups from Bluetooth

all of the above should be less than a few K

Spotify/Tidal: I prefer native network player (on pipeline to purchase after DAC)
Rest of streaming apps: CCA (already have one)
BT: Streaming from apps which don't support casting - Projector audio (requirement till I upgrade my projector and move to Living room HT), Indian FM online streaming and others.
USB SSD Local Flac: A small collection for offline playing during internet outage.

No Apple ecosystem
A network streamer should be able to play these even if they are sitting on say a PC/laptop (on same network).
There is SQ difference when playing FLAC vs streaming from Spotify.
Spotify 320kbps is good for casual listening, exploring new music, background music.
But native FLACs are better for those dedicated listening (with whiskey :))

Cheers,
Raghu

A network streamer should be able to play these even if they are sitting on say a PC/laptop (on same network).
There is SQ difference when playing FLAC vs streaming from Spotify.
Spotify 320kbps is good for casual listening, exploring new music, background music.
But native FLACs are better for those dedicated listening (with whiskey :))

Cheers,
Raghu
Thanks for starting the thread Swamy.
Thanks for all your inputs so far Raghu.

I have the same query though am starting off. Got into Tidal and now want to utilize the MQA through my Marantz NR1509 which supports Tidal Through HEOS and Wharf225. I will add a streamer later and just need a DAC that will allow me to play HiFi and MQA from laptop in the same network. I don't think it can be done through the phone. Please advice. Is Audiolab DAC worth the investment for my setup? Or a DAC within 15k like modi3 ifi nano will do justice?

Thanks for starting the thread Swamy.
Thanks for all your inputs so far Raghu.

I have the same query though am starting off. Got into Tidal and now want to utilize the MQA through my Marantz NR1509 which supports Tidal Through HEOS and Wharf225. I will add a streamer later and just need a DAC that will allow me to play HiFi and MQA from laptop in the same network. I don't think it can be done through the phone. Please advice. Is Audiolab DAC worth the investment for my setup? Or a DAC within 15k like modi3 ifi nano will do justice?
Does NR1509 do MQA? Or is it just Tidal streaming support?
Anyways, I don't know much about Tidal; only know it is expensive :)
Cheers,
Raghu

Does NR1509 do MQA? Or is it just Tidal streaming support?
It doesn't do MQA. It streams lossless cd quality.
I will add a streamer later and just need a DAC that will allow me to play HiFi and MQA from laptop in the same network. I don't think it can be done through the phone. Please advice.
I believe you mean Laptop --> MQA DAC --Analog out---> NR1509. Do you want to control this from mobile?
MQA certified LG phones support MQA DACs directly. Can you explain more?

It doesn't do MQA. It streams lossless cd quality.

I believe you mean Laptop --> MQA DAC --Analog out---> NR1509. Do you want to control this from mobile?
MQA certified LG phones support MQA DACs directly. Can you explain more?
Yes NR1509 doesn't support MQA hence the DAC requirement. I understood the wired way with a laptop and the DAC. Though can't get a LG phone as just got 1+8 which has LDAC. So what I am curious is there a way to play MQA through the NR1509 + MQA DAC from a phone wirelessly using maybe uPnP software or otherwise ? HEOS can't go above HiFi quality.

just got 1+8 which has LDAC. So what I am curious is there a way to play MQA through the NR1509 + MQA DAC from a phone wirelessly using maybe uPnP software or otherwise ? HEOS can't go above HiFi quality.
The device in which Tidal app plays (not remote control android app) should detect MQA capable DAC. In this case neither Oneplus 8 nor NR1509 capable. So you may need a
RPi like streaming server / client stack -> USB -> MQA DAC -> NR1509
As I mentioned in another thread Rpi based solution most probably needs "MQA Full decoder" DAC than a "MQA Renderer" like cheap dragonfly.

Our FMs may have other ideas.

The device in which Tidal app plays (not remote control android app) should detect MQA capable DAC. In this case neither Oneplus 8 nor NR1509 capable. So you may need a
RPi like streaming server / client stack -> USB -> MQA DAC -> NR1509
As I mentioned in another thread Rpi based solution most probably needs "MQA Full decoder" DAC than a "MQA Renderer" like cheap dragonfly.

Our FMs may have other ideas.
I don't want to go down Rpi path having little to no clue being a noob in this field. What would be a good upgrade to add to the Marantz NR1509 pre-out which would work as both streamer + DAC? If there is a single piece of equipment that can do the job then I can think about spending say 70-80k.

I don't want to go down Rpi path having little to no clue being a noob in this field. What would be a good upgrade to add to the Marantz NR1509 pre-out which would work as both streamer + DAC? If there is a single piece of equipment that can do the job then I can think about spending say 70-80k.
Uh ....
You need to hold your horses, before planning to spend large monies.

NR1509 preout can only go to another power amp.
DAC/Streamer comes before the AVR. They would do some stuff and let the AVR do some more.
If your AVR supports Spotify/Tidal streaming, try that and evaluate how it sounds.
Compare it with say the same songs via laptop/USB or CD.
Also check how Normal-Res & Hi-Res audio sounds on your system.
Then decide on vanilla DAC, MQA DAC, etc

Cheers,
Raghu

Uh ....

DAC/Streamer comes before the AVR. They would do some stuff and let the AVR do some more.
If your AVR supports Spotify/Tidal streaming, try that and evaluate how it sounds.

Cheers,
Raghu
As @raghupb rightly pointed out you need to understand your existing chain and find the gap before investing money.

Uh ....

Cheers,
Raghu
Pre out only for Power Amp.. OMG..never knew. I have tried Spotify n Tidal...they sound good but not much difference...Tidal HiFi sounds better through Heos as it uses Wifi. That proves that MQA has potential to be better.. well of course...but my quest is how?
So basically I can't add any network streamer or a good integrated Amp to the pre out.
So if I understand correctly I have 2 choices..
1. Discard Marantz NR1509 and get a network streamer+DAC.
2. Use Rpi+DAC+ xxxx+ Marantz.

Am i correct in that assessment or missing something?

I have tried Spotify n Tidal...they sound good but not much difference...
what else do you compare with to find difference? Do you want to replace built-in network streaming with an external network streamer?
Since Marantz NR1509 has Digital Inputs (Coaxial and Toslink), you may need a network streamer with digital out. In this case you won't get MQA quality since NR1509 does not support MQA.
In case you don't want DAC capability of NR1509, you may add a MQA DAC externally along with a network source.
"+ xxxx+" - ??? there is nothing required between DAC and Marantz. DAC output will be RCA analog. RPi is a little DIY work if you like it. Most of the RPi based solutions (already discussed in another thread in last two days) don't support MQA first level unfolding which requires software support. So it is good to go ahead with "MQA Full decoder DAC" than just a MQA renderer in RPi case.

<snip>
So basically I can't add any network streamer or a good integrated Amp to the pre out.
So if I understand correctly I have 2 choices..

Am i correct in that assessment or missing something?

Pre-out is the stage after pre-amplier (input select, volume control, tone control, etc ...)
This is provided for use with power amps that have higher capacity (watts) to drive demanding speakers.

Streamer/DAC is an additional source. You would still need an preamp/amp to host sources and drive speakers.
In your case, the NR1509.
RPI can be the streamer, DAC HAT or outboard DAC is up to you.

Music chains with outboard DAC would look like this:
1. streamer-DAC, IA/AVR/pre-pwr, speakers (eg. Bluesound Node would be the streamer-DAC)
2. streamer, DAC, IA/AVR/pre-pwr, speakers (eg. RPI/USB or RPI/SPDIF would be the streamer, DAC can be whatever you want)

I have no idea about MQA and MQA DACs. Other FMs can chime in.

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
Try earmen tr amp its not that expensive and supports mqa available at headphone zone.
Another dac which is very good and supports mqa is topping d90 mqa dac which is on preorder. Go what is in your budget.
Audioquest cobalt also supports mqa

what else do you compare with to find difference? Do you want to replace built-in network streaming with an external network streamer?

Since Marantz NR1509 has Digital Inputs (Coaxial and Toslink), you may need a network streamer with digital out. In this case you won't get MQA quality since NR1509 does not support MQA.
In case you don't want DAC capability of NR1509, you may add a MQA DAC externally along with a network source.

"+ xxxx+" - ??? there is nothing required between DAC and Marantz. DAC output will be RCA analog. RPi is a little DIY work if you like it. Most of the RPi based solutions (already discussed in another thread in last two days) don't support MQA first level unfolding which requires software support. So it is good to go ahead with "MQA Full decoder DAC" than just a MQA renderer in RPi case.
That's all I tried so far. Well I will have to go with a MQA DAC and a network streamer later. Upgrading from Wharf 225 to wharf 11 series Front and center channel. Not sure if the NR1509 can drive those. If not will get a network streamer with better wattage capacity next year.

That's all I tried so far. Well I will have to go with a MQA DAC and a network streamer later. Upgrading from Wharf 225 to wharf 11 series Front and center channel. Not sure if the NR1509 can drive those. If not will get a network streamer with better wattage capacity next year.
Honestly, upgrading a significant portion of your chain just for MQA support is actually not worth the effort and money. There is hardly any discernable difference between Tidal MQA and Tidal Hifi streams for the same track. Unless your chain is super revealing. Trust me. I have a headphone DAC, amp and IEM that costs as much as both of my HiFi systems put together and I can barely make out the difference between MQA files and regular 16bit/44.1KHz files.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back