Dac

M

mpw

Hi,

I have about Rs 15k budget for a DAC.

I am ripping all my audio CD's to FLAC thru EAC and i am looking to use my laptop as a source for these ripped FLAC files.

I want to connect the laptop to a DAC and then to my NAD amp. Am looking at the following requirements :-

a. Budget about 15k
b. Can source from audiogon ( used ) provided it is rates for 220V, 50 Hz operation
c. Need something that focuses all energies on to DAC and only DAC. No inbuilt headphone amps, no additional inputs which i will not use for a long time.. i mean all the money to be directed to the DAC function
d. My taste in music is simple. Everythiig minus heavy metal and trance.

Other components are listed in my signature

Looking at the

Maverick Audio D2 DAC

NAD MDC DAC

Beresford TC-7530BC-B ( again with headphone amp.. that i will not use ) - but it is good ??

Squeezebox touch ( this looks nice but i dont know how this will fare against a dedicated DAC since my laptop will have a good internet connection.. i think i can manage the internet radio thru laptop. Please correct me here.

Welcome your inputs and suggestions.

Any used DAC on the forum or outside.. please advise.

regards,
mpw
Mumbai

Last edited by a moderator:
I would eliminate the Squeezebox Touchfrom the list. It's primary function is to act as a wireless link to your computer/internet, and/or to read music files from a directly (USB) attached portable disk. If you need a Squeezebox, then a Squeezebox is fantastic, but if you only need a DAC, then you are very much going against your well-thought-out policy of focusing your spending on the technology that you need, and not on features that you don't.

Apart from that, sadly, Logitech are no longer selling the things. :(

From what I understand, most entry level DACs dont have a good USB implementation. For USB use, a pure USB DAC may be a better option.

In the list you mentioned, the Nad MDC should be worth a demo provided its compatible with your amp.

I recommend a NuForce.

NuForce has a DAC at every price point and most of their DACs are superb value. I have tried 2 of their DACs and very happy with their price-performance ratio. I am so happy with their PPR I have decided to try their next higher level offering.

If NuForce doesn't have a suitable model available, the FiiO E11 should be a good buy at that price. I own a E7 and very happy with their PPR.

From what I understand, most entry level DACs dont have a good USB implementation. For USB use, a pure USB DAC may be a better option.

In the list you mentioned, the Nad MDC should be worth a demo provided its compatible with your amp.

The MDC dac is definitely worth a listen. One of the best DACs i've heard this side of 20k. The gatorized caiman does not seem available anymore and I haven't heard the Bushmaster so no comments there. Another DAC worth trying out is the Audinst HUD MX-1.

You should also consider Musical Fidelity M1 Dac. If possible audition it before taking a final call.

M1DAC should be way more than 15k. I think Mav-audio D2 with some opamp or tube upgrade will be in budget. Denom auditioned it if I recall correctly.

the maverick audio D1 is avbl thru pristine notes in Mumbai about 13k... but i am looking for a DAC only.. no pre amp and stuff..

( as far as possible )

mpw

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you so much for your replies..

what is a NOS dAC ? Non oversampling ??

a. how does it matter in terms of sound ?
b. is it better than a "tube dac"

regards,
mpw

I am using odac. At 9.5k inr it is worth every paise.
You are not the only one: it has caught several eyes (and ears) on the forum. If I needed a simple USB DAC, this would be my first port or call.

I don't, although I may yet end up owning it as part of a DAC/H'Phone-Amp combination.

I have about Rs 15k budget for a DAC.

I am ripping all my audio CD's to FLAC thru EAC and i am looking to use my laptop as a source for these ripped FLAC files.

I want to connect the laptop to a DAC and then to my NAD amp. Am looking at the following requirements :-

a. Budget about 15k
b. Can source from audiogon ( used ) provided it is rates for 220V, 50 Hz operation
c. Need something that focuses all energies on to DAC and only DAC. No inbuilt headphone amps, no additional inputs which i will not use for a long time.. i mean all the money to be directed to the DAC function

I am using odac. At 9.5k inr it is worth every paise.

You are not the only one: it has caught several eyes (and ears) on the forum. If I needed a simple USB DAC, this would be my first port or call.

+1; or should I say +3:)

Hrt music streamer is what you need. I just bought a used one from a forum member. It's still to reach me but there is no doubt about its capabilities. There is one more on sale in the forum I think...

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

is there any particular advantage for the USB DAC's over DAC' with independent power supply ?

Is it not more convenient to have a dumb flac player ( battery powered ) linked to a powered DAC and then to an amp.. thatway the usage of PC as a player will be avoided ??

mpw

is there any particular advantage for the USB DAC's over DAC' with independent power supply ?
Is the power source an issue? More important is the interface implementation, whichever interface is used

Back