Dac

Is the power source an issue? More important is the interface implementation, whichever interface is used
================================

Thad,

thanks for your replies.

I asked with the following in mind - if i go for a DAC with a its own power supply then i can just hookup a Sansa FLAC player to my laptop.. transfer FLAC files to it.. take it to my DAC and connect it. The advantage here is that i wont have to lug my laptop around.

mpw

Can you get digital-out from your Sansa? I didn't know.

Usually, if a DAC is required to play from a PC, then the equipment would probably be fairly static. Maybe you should be looking at something like a Squeezebox! [discontinued :(]

Last edited:
Not many portable players with digital out except the bulky, feature restricted (WAV only, SD Card only, 5-5.5 hrs battery life, 8 x 2 line 'display', quirks in sorting files and directories which requires you to use DriveSort and custom short file names besides being my 'dumbbell' :eek:) - QLS QA350. As far as I know, a few others that have digital out include Littledot DP_I, DP_II and the iBasso DX100, which are not exactly cheap. Older iRiver players also support digital out and have been a favorite of many.

A few others like Teclast T51/S:Flo2, Hifiman HM-XXX have line outs, but not digital out. None of the branded players - Sansas, Cowon, Sony, iPods feature a pure line out, only a headphone out (so you only double amp). Some models of Sony players, iPods, Fuze can have a line out through the dock.

A handful of us wanted FiiO to release a pure transport, but looks like it won't be coming :(

Last edited:
Not many portable players with digital out except the bulky, feature restricted (WAV only, SD Card only, 5-5.5 hrs battery life, 8 x 2 line 'display', quirks in sorting files and directories which requires you to use DriveSort and custom short file names besides being my 'dumbbell' :eek:) - QLS QA350. As far as I know, a few others that have digital out include Littledot DP_I, DP_II and the iBasso DX100, which are not exactly cheap. Older iRiver players also support digital out and have been a favorite of many.

:(

If you want to try out the QLS digital player, I thing I have one lying around. Doesnt solve your DAC problem though.

Were you just quoting my post to reply to mpw? Or are you offering your QA350 to me for the other hand dumbbell? ;)

I already own QA350 Mod V2, BTW.

mpw,
why cant you do a dedicated listening if you are spending on DAC.
instead of listening while surfing etc .

else sansa to amp will do for the ongoing companion music.

forget about dig out+dac in lower price range.
sd card players etc are fancy many limitations like sdcard space,UI,playlist etc ...
keep life simple:laptop>good cable>odac
portable Sflo:2 players have good dac inbuilt but will not be able to beat Odac.

ODAC buy as board only.It will come in 6k,put in ABS casing

Last edited:
I have used the iPad 2 and 3 as digital sources. They provide a headphone out, a line out using the FiiO cable and USB digital out via the camera connection kit. I have played 96 24 files using the iPad with an adequate software download.

I hope the iPods may also do the same. Btw I also have the hifiman hm601 and it only has a headphone and line out. No digital out.

mpw,
why cant you do a dedicated listening if you are spending on DAC.
instead of listening while surfing etc .

else sansa to amp will do for the ongoing companion music.

forget about dig out+dac in lower price range.
sd card players etc are fancy many limitations like sdcard space,UI,playlist etc ...
keep life simple:laptop>good cable>odac
portable Sflo:2 players have good dac inbuilt but will not be able to beat Odac.

ODAC buy as board only.It will come in 6k,put in ABS casing

=====================================================

kaushik,

thanks for your reply.

I am looking at making life simpler for people at home to operate the system. I fear the laptop will be intimidating.

thats why the thought about SBT etc..

but am still thinking you know.. i have someone coming over from abroad in Nov.

I understand the Mav Audio D2 will be a good bet too...

The audience poll on HFV leads me to ODAC..

:clapping:

I dont know where i can audition these DAC's.. and thats another thing. maybe i will have to try 1 out first and then see how it goes..

mpw

I have used the iPad 2 and 3 as digital sources. They provide a headphone out, a line out using the FiiO cable and USB digital out via the camera connection kit. I have played 96 24 files using the iPad with an adequate software download.

I hope the iPods may also do the same. Btw I also have the hifiman hm601 and it only has a headphone and line out. No digital out.
==================================================

audiodoc,

i dont have ipad and dont think i will have one../

But i have the Amazon Kindle FIRE.

any thoughts on using that as a source ??

Please chip in.

rgds,
mpw

=====================================================

kaushik,

thanks for your reply.

I am looking at making life simpler for people at home to operate the system. I fear the laptop will be intimidating.

thats why the thought about SBT etc..

but am still thinking you know.. i have someone coming over from abroad in Nov.

I understand the Mav Audio D2 will be a good bet too...

The audience poll on HFV leads me to ODAC..

:clapping:

I dont know where i can audition these DAC's.. and thats another thing. maybe i will have to try 1 out first and then see how it goes..

mpw

First house/family will prefer 'easy operation'..so SBT in 14k is best.
KeepitSimple principle ,no matter howmuch audiophile terms you may show them.Actually a remote with track display will be more important than Gizmo-loaded DAc.
interesting vid to see:
Foobar Remote Controller for android - YouTube

For you oDAC>SSpre amp>Some decent BS speakers

is there anything at all i can do with an Amazon kindle fire for this application ? use foobar on it? use it as a remote control ??

The kindle fire is just lying around in the house..

can i integrate the kindle fire with SBT etc ??

mpw

what kind of a dac will an avr like harman kardon avr 255 have ? i dont find any details in the spec sheet.

will the dac be as good as that on the SBT ?

any ideas ?

mpw

introspecting :lol:.. i realize that i can put the marantz SACDP 7001 out of the chain totally if i have a good DAC. Portability may not be a criterion.

I earlier alluded to user friendliness - and i now realize that only i am going to be the sole black sheep in the house with strange habits of listening to hi-fi.

Therefore this would mean an increase in budget.

I think i am open to good DAC's upto 30k but i need to audition before i buy.

Please let me know if any good DAC ( preferably ) in Mumbai area is available. I think i will be using only the PC + Foobar combination.

I understand the USB input should do good.

I read about a USB to SPDIF converter giving better results.

Is that really so ?

am getting into cloudy confusion stage.. but this is how it generally is till lightnning strikes :D

regards and have a good sunday,
mpw

I read about a USB to SPDIF converter giving better results.

Is that really so ?

This is what I have learnt from others here, and I think something similar was already said in this thread: Some DACs have a USB interface which is not not well made/implemented. Where those DACs also have an SPDIF interface, it is better to use it. If one has such a box, the conversion is worthwhile, if not, then simply converting from one digital protocol to another makes no sense at all.

I guess that, if one wants to go USB ---which is undoubtedly the simplest thing, because just-about every computer has USB ports--- then one must look at the DAC's overall performance, which is going to include the implementation of the chip, the implementation of the USB, and the analogue circuitry.

We can find, here and elsewhere, such stuff as, eg, "this DAC claims 24-bit processing, but it's DAC implementation only allows 18-bit..." and other such technical advice which we might rule out some boxes. After that sort of spec/review-based selection is done, the proof of the pudding is going to be in the eating. Or listening, of course :)

hi,

Tonite i got home the Valabs NOS DAC from FM hemant Waghe for about a week of testing. Thanks for your gesture hemant.

For a guy like me - into DAC and stuff for the first time - this is exciting..:yahoo:

Its also worrying :confused: as i just came off an hour of listening bliss ( Indian percussion ) on my current setup.. that means that the DAC i want to get should beat the Marantz SA7001 DAC hands down or atleast be at par.

Lets see where this takes me..

Hope to get a couple more DAC's for comparo ( or atleast go listen to them ) before i think about it.

Monday morn - and travel on the menu.. hmm:annoyed: and that means that i cant hook up the NOS DAC till wednesday night.. !!

regards,
mpw

regards,
mpw

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back