Dac

introspecting :lol:.. i realize that i can put the marantz SACDP 7001 out of the chain totally if i have a good DAC. Portability may not be a criterion.

I earlier alluded to user friendliness - and i now realize that only i am going to be the sole black sheep in the house with strange habits of listening to hi-fi.

Therefore this would mean an increase in budget.

I think i am open to good DAC's upto 30k but i need to audition before i buy.

Please let me know if any good DAC ( preferably ) in Mumbai area is available. I think i will be using only the PC + Foobar combination.

I understand the USB input should do good.

I read about a USB to SPDIF converter giving better results.

Is that really so ?

am getting into cloudy confusion stage.. but this is how it generally is till lightnning strikes :D

regards and have a good sunday,
mpw

The CD6002 was not too bad as a budget entry into audiophile CDP. What is lacking in CD7001?

--G0bble

gobble,

just the convenience of ripping all files into FLAC, having them in one place and making playlists..

mpw

Hi mpw

Look at a Metrum Octave. Slightly above your budget but should be pretty much world class.

the metrum nos quad is Euro 390 and the octave is euro 690 odd..

have you heard the metrum quad prem ?

the reviews are excellent.

means my CDP will have to be shown the door for the metrum to come in..

:))

mpw

No mpw. But if i were going digital again, i would very seriously consider the Octave. Some people whose ears i respect have heard it and have very good things to say about it.

if you can increase your budget go for the the Wyred4sound Dac2... else gor for the W4S Dac 1...

great stuff!

prem,

the diff betn the metrum quad and octave is that the quad has 2 dacs per channel and the octave has 3 per channel.. there is a significant price diff and the quad obviously has a larger power supply..

wondering will it make so much difference since euro 390 and 690 is quite steep diff..

mpw

also.. i must have a look at the other components in the chain - the nad amp and the epos.. if they are worthy enough to express what the metrum is supposed to give out..

can you think of one grade less than the metrum..

have you heard the Halide DAC's ?

mpw

also.. i must have a look at the other components in the chain - the nad amp and the epos.. if they are worthy enough to express what the metrum is supposed to give out..

can you think of one grade less than the metrum..

have you heard the Halide DAC's ?

mpw

By that token a budget setup should not deserve a TT as it would be superior to a DAC :)

--G

Sent from mobile on a crappy keyboard. Pls excuse typos.

prem,

the diff betn the metrum quad and octave is that the quad has 2 dacs per channel and the octave has 3 per channel.. there is a significant price diff and the quad obviously has a larger power supply..

wondering will it make so much difference since euro 390 and 690 is quite steep diff..

mpw

sometime back i was making inquiries about the Metrum. besides the aforementioned ones, there was another pricier offering ..
" There comes another dac with USB included but will be a 16 dac version + balanced outputs. That will be around Euro 2600
Met vriendelijke groet,
Cees Ruijtenberg
Acelec logo 3
NOS Mini DAC
http://www.metrum-acoustics.nl"

Hi mpw

I have always believed in the principle that my source should be the best. The source to me is where everything begins. I would like that all data be captured at the source and would like to minimise loss of information. Viewed from this rationale the Octave is perfect. More dacs normally implies better. I suggest you write to the Metrum guys and get their feddback on the differences between the Quad and the Octave. These are pretty much upfront and will tell you what each can do. That way you will be better informed to take a decision. I have not heard Halide dac. I am pretty much out of the digital space so have not been keeping abreast of new trends.

" There comes another dac with USB included but will be a 16 dac version + balanced outputs. That will be around Euro 2600
Balanced outputs are not much use in most domestic hifi setups: just a nuisance to find the right cables to convert.

Finally home... Connected the Valabs Nos Dac ( thanks hemant ). Will post a review after both of us warm up to each other :))

Mpw

got the ODAC home ( PCB only version with headphone o/p.. using normal 1 RCA to 2 RCA now )....

such a tiny thing and it plays nice.

need more hours on it.. maybe i will get some time over the week to put it thru its paces at my place. Many thanks to Ronnie.

mpw

titus,

:lol: a marathon session.. nope.. just a taste opf each DAC.

but the FM's here have been kind enough to lend me their DAC for trials. Am grateful.

I dont think it will be fair to post my views as i am not auditioning them in a shop and maybe my views may differ from the owners. So i think its better i keep my views to myself and focus on the music which each DAC puts out.

I saw a peter daniel NOS DAC today but i dont have a USB to SPDiF converter.. i was wondering if i could get one for a week and check the peter daniel too..

I am told they are really good.

But for the moment.. i will try the ODAC.

Hope to audition the Mav Audio D2 DAC at sandeeps place this week.

guys - any one willing to lend me a USB to SPDiF converter for a day or 2.. i will appreciate a lot ( with some beer :lol: )

mpw

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back