Dark Gray Screen

But now tou can see the difference in projected area and the rest. Room became dark and pictures became high contrast.

Attachments

• P_20171012_004544-640x360.jpg
    P_20171012_004544-640x360.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 288
  • P_20171012_000535-640x360.jpg
    P_20171012_000535-640x360.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 276
  • P_20171012_010142-640x360.jpg
    P_20171012_010142-640x360.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 273
How much would a grey screen (fabric) improve upon a ivory screen (fabric) for contrast ?..

In a completely dark room with black walls, white screen is king. In a living room for watching TV with some lights on or day light coming in for a normal throw projector a retro reflective screen makes a massive difference in contrast.

I have experimented with a DIY Dark Gray screen!

How grey screens work is that they absorb ambient light and at the same time prevents bleeding of light into splendid regions of the screen from the bright areas of the screen. This makes the complexity proportion to enhance and improves for a much picture on a gray screen.

Grey screens work best with bright projectors and rooms where the ambient light can't be completely controlled. The reflections from the screen picture can increase the ambient light by reflecting light back on to the screen from the walls, ceiling, floor and furniture in the room. Thus Ambient light is not controlled just by turning off the lights, you must also have a projector room with dark walls, ceiling and floor, plus the furniture and fittings in the room should not have bright metal parts which can reflect light. If you cannot have such a setup, where the ambient light cannot be totally controlled, then a grey screen works best in such an environment.

I have experimented with a DIY Dark Gray screen!

Would a lycra spandex material work for this?.. Also if you could share link for DIY material..

Grey screens work best with bright projectors and rooms where the ambient light can't be completely controlled.

When you say bright projectors, how many lumens are bright for dark grey screen?..

The reflections from the screen picture can increase the ambient light by reflecting light back on to the screen from the walls, ceiling, floor and furniture in the room. Thus Ambient light is not controlled just by turning off the lights, you must also have a projector room with dark walls, ceiling and floor, plus the furniture and fittings in the room should not have bright metal parts which can reflect light. If you cannot have such a setup, where the ambient light cannot be totally controlled, then a grey screen works best in such an environment..

Most houses here have ceramic tiles (glossy), which i think will scatter more light than the ceiling/side walls/rear walls (matte).. Would grey spandex help here..

grey screens are used to increase black levels but out of my own experience projector should be with good black level
in order to display true blacks and good contrasts

Did you find the aluminum flake changing colour when mixed with the water based paint?

When it is mixed with water based paint i cant even find aluminium powder separate. It blend well. but one thing is sure, if aluminium powder is not mixed, paint alone won't give the result you expect. I felt screen become a bit dark, but not in a good way.

grey screens are used to increase black levels but out of my own experience projector should be with good black level
in order to display true blacks and good contrasts
Yes, its true. This ll work exceptionally well with dlp projectors than led projectors. But more than contrast, colour is the main reason I think. Colour depth details of led is not even half good to DLP.

I have been using a grey color wall as screen for my home theater for more than 4 years. I was using Royale luxury emulsion from Asian paints

Color code is 0615 Silver Grey ( Grey shade ). Royale Luxury Emulsion is little glossy finish and was giving very good picture quality for a 2800 lumens Panasonic projector in living room.

Now i have repainted the same wall with Royale Atmos (same color )which is Matt finish.

https://www.asianpaints.com/colour/colour-catalogue.html

I have been using a grey color wall as screen for my home theater for more than 4 years. I was using Royale luxury emulsion from Asian paints

Color code is 0615 Silver Grey ( Grey shade ). Royale Luxury Emulsion is little glossy finish and was giving very good picture quality for a 2800 lumens Panasonic projector in living room.

Now i have repainted the same wall with Royale Atmos (same color )which is Matt finish.

Thanks. I don't have any knowledge on paints. So just want to make sure everything before I hire a painter.

Currently my wall is in beige colour. Do I have to do any base coat before I paint to Silver Grey? How many coatings required to achieve a good screen? Any other mixes required?

My wall size is 10x11 feet. How many of litres/quantity paint required to cover my wall?

Also my wall currently contains a TV wall mount and some nails on top. All these things needs to be rectified before I start to paint my wall. Will this be taken care by the painter?

Last edited:
Thanks. I don't have any knowledge on paints. So just want to make sure everything before I hire a painter.

Currently my wall is in beige colour. Do I have to do any base coat before I paint to Silver Grey? How many coatings required to achieve a good screen? Any other mixes required?

My wall size is 10x11 feet. How many of litres/quantity paint required to cover my wall?

Also my wall currently contains a TV wall mount and some nails on top. All these things needs to be rectified before I start to paint my wall. Will this be taken care by the painter?

First of all, you need to get rid of any kind of any damages on the wall surface ( be it a nails/cracks / dents /mount holes etc ) and then use wall putty.

Painting guys used to apply wall putty and then sand the surface with sand paper to get perfect flat finish this will make sure there is no uneven surface and will be perfectly flat.

After sanding, primer will be applied to the wall and then the actual paint.

3-4 coats should be good enough and you will need at least 3 liters

Painting procedure below.

https://www.asianpaints.com/products/interior-walls/plain-finishes/royale-atmos.html

First of all, you need to get rid of any kind of any damages on the wall surface ( be it a nails/cracks / dents /mount holes etc ) and then use wall putty.

Painting guys used to apply wall putty and then sand the surface with sand paper to get perfect flat finish this will make sure there is no uneven surface and will be perfectly flat.

After sanding, primer will be applied to the wall and then the actual paint.

Painting procedure below.

https://www.asianpaints.com/products/interior-walls/plain-finishes/royale-atmos.html

Thank you so much. Can you tell me an estimate on how much it would cost?

How is the difference between a gloss & a matt finish for the projection wall ?..

Hope, no need to mix other paint with this one..

3 liters of paint for 3 - 4 coats?.. How big a screen do you have ?..

For a normal throw projector you can use a retro reflective paint mix, I use what is called the black widow ultra (an open source paint mix project). It requires a neutral grey water based paint and aluminum flakes (auto air fine). The aluminum flakes are not available in India but can be bought and delivered to India. For the base paint use asian paint royale interior paint (soft sheen) colour code (silver - 6142). This colour has a RGB value of 186,189,188 and its the closest you can get to the grey they recommend in the project.

Thanks for the details @danielnaveen2003

Ok.. LG PF 1500W has a throw ratio of 1.5, and there would be some slight indirect daylight in the room.. Would this be a concern?..

Is aluminium flakes similar to the ones that we call metallic paint feel that we see in automobiles?..

Hope asian paint royale interior paint (soft sheen) colour code (silver - 6142) is the only paint required for this DIY effort.. How many coats is required for a good finish?..

Roughly the screen size would be 75 inch diagonal.. How many liters of paint is reqd?..

Thanks for the details @danielnaveen2003

Ok.. LG PF 1500W has a throw ratio of 1.5, and there would be some slight indirect daylight in the room.. Would this be a concern?..

The purpose of black widow is to combat ambient light. However from my experience from using it and other factory made ambient light rejection screens, I can say that they are very good at rejecting directional light like ceiling lights or a wall light fixture but not so good at rejection diffuse full room light (which is how indirect sun light is going to be like). Still better than a white screen though.

Is aluminium flakes similar to the ones that we call metallic paint feel that we see in automobiles?..

Autoair fine is precisely that

Hope asian paint royale interior paint (soft sheen) colour code (silver - 6142) is the only paint required for this DIY effort.. How many coats is required for a good finish?..

you will need 2 to 3 coats. Ofc you will need putty, primer, sand paper and rollers/spray gun

Roughly the screen size would be 75 inch diagonal.. How many liters of paint is reqd?..

1 liter should be more than enough. Dont use the standard dilution guidance printed on the paint container (if applying with a roller), you want the coat to be slightly thicker so that the flake can be dispersed evenly

The purpose of black widow is to combat ambient light. However from my experience from using it and other factory made ambient light rejection screens, I can say that they are very good at rejecting directional light like ceiling lights or a wall light fixture but not so good at rejection diffuse full room light (which is how indirect sun light is going to be like). Still better than a white screen though.

Ok.. Great..

Autoair fine is precisely that

Hope these flakes should be aval with car painters who do tinkering/dents work..

you will need 2 to 3 coats. Ofc you will need putty, primer, sand paper and rollers/spray gun

Hope Putty is chalk powder.. Painters call these "Patti" in tamil.. My room walls have been already plastered with putty.. Should i consider puttying the projection surface area alone once more before i begin the process?..

1 liter should be more than enough. Dont use the standard dilution guidance printed on the paint container (if applying with a roller), you want the coat to be slightly thicker so that the flake can be dispersed evenly

Thank you.. Just to get my self clear, in case i have access to flakes from car painters, how much quantity should i consider getting for a litre of paint..

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back