Dark Gray Screen

Ok.. Great..

Hope these flakes should be aval with car painters who do tinkering/dents work..

Hope Putty is chalk powder.. Painters call these "Patti" in tamil.. My room walls have been already plastered with putty.. Should i consider puttying the projection surface area alone once more before i begin the process?..

Thank you.. Just to get my self clear, in case i have access to flakes from car painters, how much quantity should i consider getting for a litre of paint..

I used acrylic putty which is more like a cream, its a poor choice for walls as moisture will make it peel off, but ya if your walls already have putty there will no need to apply it again. The original mix is 946ml of paint to 227ml of autoair fine (auto air fine is more like a metallic particles in a liquid base). Since you are gonna get some other brand, you can always experiment with the quantity. Too much and it will have hot spots all over too little and screen gain will be low.

I used acrylic putty which is more like a cream, its a poor choice for walls as moisture will make it peel off, but ya if your walls already have putty there will no need to apply it again. The original mix is 946ml of paint to 227ml of autoair fine (auto air fine is more like a metallic particles in a liquid base). Since you are gonna get some other brand, you can always experiment with the quantity. Too much and it will have hot spots all over too little and screen gain will be low.

Thank you.. I will check in a local store on availability of the paint you have mentioned & the other FM who had mentioned abt roylae atmos matt grey and update here for any clarity..

Thank you.. I will check in a local store on availability of the paint you have mentioned & the other FM who had mentioned abt roylae atmos matt grey and update here for any clarity..

Update : checked the local store, both paints are aval.. Painter also dropped in and suggested the walls be treated with putty for a better finish..

asian paint royale interior paint (soft sheen) colour code (silver - 6142)

This is aval locally at a hardware store.. Cost abt Rs 500 per liter.. Checked with a local painter on the metallic flakes, he said they come in gold, silver based colours.. I hope, then silver needs to be used... Please confirm..

Royale Atmos will cost you 620/ liter. Rest you will need to check with your local painter

This is also aval locally for the same price as you have mentioned.. Does this paint needs to be mixed with auto air flakes (metallic paint) or should this be directly applied to wall without any mixing?, since you have mentioned silver grey.. Please confirm..

How is the difference between a gloss & a matt finish for the projection wall ?..

Hope, no need to mix other paint with this one..

3 liters of paint for 3 - 4 coats?.. How big a screen do you have ?..
Mine is ~ 160. Matt Iooks better. Also Lumens is little low on my new projector, so I’m thinking it’s compensated there as well.

Update : checked the local store, both paints are aval.. Painter also dropped in and suggested the walls be treated with putty for a better finish..

This is aval locally at a hardware store.. Cost abt Rs 500 per liter.. Checked with a local painter on the metallic flakes, he said they come in gold, silver based colours.. I hope, then silver needs to be used... Please confirm..

This is also aval locally for the same price as you have mentioned.. Does this paint needs to be mixed with auto air flakes (metallic paint) or should this be directly applied to wall without any mixing?, since you have mentioned silver grey.. Please confirm..
I didn’t use any air flakes but if any other members has any better experience, it’s worth trying

Today, the wall was plastered with Asian paints putty..Painter has left it to dry today..

Looks like the Metallic paint mostly comes in oil based..And many suggested that it won't mix with water based paint like Asian paints Royale..

There was Asian paints Royale Glitter, which I think induces the Metallic feel.. I chose lightest grey..Dealer suggested, that i can make it darker if needed.. Got 1 ltr of paint, cost me Rs 745/- along with Asain paints water based primer, which is an other Rs 205/-..

Moonlit silver (M005) is the base paint & added color code Silver Escapade (M604)..

Am not too sure of the colour..Fingers crossed.. If it isn't good, then would use the Royale Glitter for my entire wall..:)

Sharing some initial images..

Below picture, wall marked for the grey paint.. Approx 80 inch diagonal in 16:9 mode
sR5drfH.jpg

Below picture - Wall treated with putty and asian paints water based primer..
NRunyiw.jpg

Below picture - Wall painted with 3 coats of Asian paints Royale Glitter,color code Silver Escapade (M604).. Got 1 ltr, think have abt 400 ml remaining..
lngU4HE.jpg

Below picture - Some images (inside projector menu - images) clicked on mobile prior to wall mounting LG PF1500W for testing purpose..

Images clicked around 2.30 PM.. Yet to do basic calibration..

LS40Hvm.jpg

AxpoJuQ.jpg

59iqWKo.jpg

vJZoDxm.jpg

Since this is metallic water based paint, there is glow on the screen in bright scenes, not sure if i should call them hotspots.. I feel if the metallic substance was reduced, then would have been great.. Anyways, will experiment at a later stage with different combo as suggested earlier by FM @danielnaveen2003 and @Arjun4 .. Thanks both for the detailed info..

Will share more pics with digital camera and after basic calibration..

Since this is metallic water based paint, there is glow on the screen in bright scenes, not sure if i should call them hotspots.. I feel if the metallic substance was reduced, then would have been great.. Anyways, will experiment at a later stage with different combo as suggested earlier by FM @danielnaveen2003 and @Arjun4 .. Thanks both for the detailed info..

Will share more pics with digital camera and after basic calibration..

From the pictures it definitely looks like your paint is causing a hotspot, as brightness is rapidly declining towards the edges. You need to tone down the the paint shimmer. Egg shell finish (or soft sheen as Asian paints call it) is what you need.

From the pictures it definitely looks like your paint is causing a hotspot, as brightness is rapidly declining towards the edges. You need to tone down the the paint shimmer. Egg shell finish (or soft sheen as Asian paints call it) is what you need.

Thanks.. Yes.. I had no idea of the royale glitter on how it would look like when complete.. Just did this as trial..

Thinking to get the steel colour that you had suggested and mix a portion of this royale glitter metallic paint & then redo it for the final time..

ilango ji out of my own experience unless you have a good black level projector every painting is waste of time
had banged my head changing colors of screen ended up in changing the projector now im satisfied with normal mattwhite screen
never go for glitter just putty and paint Matt white

@danielnaveen2003 @elangoas and also other members who have painted grey ,, please update with your findings and experience after using grey screen.

I have used the similar LED projector on Vinyl screen, grey paint & fabric ( Acoustically transparent).. I like the fabric more (low gain), as it has some very good viewing angles.. Grey paint (though i didn't get it right) too is good, where there is more ambient light in the room

I have used the similar LED projector on Vinyl screen, grey paint & fabric ( Acoustically transparent).. I like the fabric more (low gain), as it has some very good viewing angles.. Grey paint (though i didn't get it right) too is good, where there is more ambient light in the room
I have Epson tw650 with 3100 lumens, so grey paint will work I guess, no ambient light in my room, but sourcing aluminium power is not possible right? Just going for grey paint advisible?

I have Epson tw650 with 3100 lumens, so grey paint will work I guess, no ambient light in my room, but sourcing aluminium power is not possible right? Just going for grey paint advisible?

Yes sourcing aluminium power may be difficult.. But there is an alternative to that..

You will need to get 1 ltr of Grey sheen paint from Royale Atmos mentioned earlier in the thread.. For the Aluminum flakes, there is Royale Glitter base paint which doesn't come no less than 1 ltr.. So get that too.. Then use only 225ml of Royale Glitter base paint with 1 ltr Grey sheen paint to get near perfect mix..

Moonlit silver (M005) is the base paint & added color code Silver Escapade (M604)..
This is the color code of Royal glitter?

Yes sourcing aluminium power may be difficult.. But there is an alternative to that..

You will need to get 1 ltr of Grey sheen paint from Royale Atmos mentioned earlier in the thread.. For the Aluminum flakes, there is Royale Glitter base paint which doesn't come no less than 1 ltr.. So get that too.. Then use only 225ml of Royale Glitter base paint with 1 ltr Grey sheen paint to get near perfect mix..
Ok thanks , Royal Atmos grey sheen paint is 6142 right?
Color code of Royal glitter base paint is?

This is the color code of Royal glitter?

Yes right.. Moonlit silver (M005) is the glitter base paint without any colour.. (Don't add any colour)..

Ok thanks , Royal Atmos grey sheen paint is 6142 right?

Yes.. 6142 is the right one..

Color code of Royal glitter base paint is?

Moonlit silver (M005) is the glitter base paint without any colour..

So you will need to buy 1 ltr of Royal Atmos grey sheen paint is 6142 + 1 ltr of Moonlit silver (M005) glitter base paint..

Use 225ml of Moonlit silver (M005) glitter base paint with 1 ltr of Royal Atmos grey sheen paint is 6142..

So you will need to buy 1 ltr of Royal Atmos grey sheen paint is 6142 + 1 ltr of Moonlit silver (M005) glitter base paint..

Use 225ml of Moonlit silver (M005) glitter base paint with 1 ltr of Royal Atmos grey sheen paint is 6142..
Ok thank you, I am planning it for next week.

Did you get it right? If yes then why you went for fabric now?

Ok thank you, I am planning it for next week.

Ok Great.. Share your pics once you complete the screen..

Did you get it right? If yes then why you went for fabric now?

I use two different PJ's (one in living room, one in bedroom) and different screen's.. The screen in my living room is fabric (DIY AT screen), the screen in my bedroom is DIY grey paint..

I didn't use the grey sheen paint with glitter base paint, rather used the glitter paint itself fully with closest grey possible.. Due to the full glitter paint on the wall, the whole screen lights up in bright scenes.. I did this only as a trial.. But still happy.. I may do the right way after sometime..

Ok Great.. Share your pics once you complete the screen..

I use two different PJ's (one in living room, one in bedroom) and different screen's.. The screen in my living room is fabric (DIY AT screen), the screen in my bedroom is DIY grey paint..

I didn't use the grey sheen paint with glitter base paint, rather used the glitter paint itself fully with closest grey possible.. Due to the full glitter paint on the wall, the whole screen lights up in bright scenes.. I did this only as a trial.. But still happy.. I may do the right way after sometime..
Ok thanks, I will post photos once it's finished.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back