Dealers in India for - StraightWire , VDH, AudioQuest, Cardas

Sidharth Trehan

Dear friends,
Could you kindly assist with the cable dealers for the above brands, that have been suggested by AE (Audio Engineer) for Quad and i have all Quad set up.

Price indications will help along with the some serial number/name of the cable.

Thanks

Thanks Jai. I shall get in touch with him once i get some pointers on the 'type' that shall maintain the mids on my Quad.

Hi Sid,
I dont think Cardas is distributed here. I know Burge Cooper Of AVI carried them ages ago but I doubt he has them now.
Straight wire is distributed by The Audio People in Chennai and sold thru all their dealers. (Mr Jalal 9940180514)
VDH is distributed by Marbin Colah in bbay.(9819257839)

Prices will be much higher than Int retail which please note.
Rgds

Thanks Dinyaar bhai.
I did assume as much. So the best way will be to bring them along someone coming from outside.

Lastly, any recommendation for a cable that wont rip off my quad's mids and keep the highs neutral as they are.

Hi Sid
well loads of guys use VDH with the quads. Am sure Cardas will work superbly but even abroad they are expensive. Best is to buy cardas used as & when it pops up for sale.
I dont know how much u want to spend but even the old Cardas Hexlink golden 5C is a nice sounding cable and those could be got for about 15K used.
Straight wire I heard a few. Think it was the Maestro and the Rhapsody S. Decent ICs. Yes they are supposed to be great on the mids.
In the VDH the starting point could be a D102 Mk III and then onwards to the second or the Orchid I guess.
Well AE is more familiar with quads than me for sure so his opinion on cables for your set up will be more relevant.
Rgds

Hi Sidharth

Whatever cables you finally decide pick them up used from Audiogon. Most of Audiogon sellers will ship to India. To be able to buy from Audiogon sellers you need to become a member there first.

Thanks for the pointers Dinyaar bhai.
AE for the time being has given me an exercise fo the weekend basis which i have to give him my feedback, for him to churn his suggestions on cables.

Hi Prem,
Thanks and yes am there on Audiogon, so shall see what possible deales come thru. You picked cables from there? Any seller to recommend?

No, i have not picked cables from Audiogon. But friends of mine have picked up.

I dont think Cardas is distributed here.

All the demo equipment at Sound Of Music in Delhi is wired with Cardas. maybe he can help you source some.

You can also look at Tara Labs that is sold in India by Audire. They call it 'the cable that God uses.' :)

Cheers

All the demo equipment at Sound Of Music in Delhi is wired with Cardas. maybe he can help you source some.

You can also look at Tara Labs that is sold in India by Audire. They call it 'the cable that God uses.' :)

Cheers

Dada,
Cable name/serial number shall help. Want to sort the brands w.r.t their series that shall match for my QUADS and then shall finalize one.

Also, All the interconnects & Speaker cables need to be of the same brand?
Or there are some brands/cables that do compliment the other. Like i am stating time and again that i dont want the mids or highs to bloat. Hence picking on brains of the ones who have used the stuff or have heard.
I do know there could be a difference depending on what the source/rack was in comparison to what i have, but still the Q/A session in here shall bring me to a twilight if not the day.

Thanks

Please post detailed descriptions of :

1. The present sound you are hearing from your Quad 99Pre | Quad 909 | Quad 11L2

I am sharing experience via an XRCD -
- Reasonably alive, vocals do have depth
- Seggregation of instruments is present but holographic imaging is amiss
- Excluding the percussion Intruments others like a strings make feel that they miss certain weight thats needed to put them in a zone of authority.
- Missing the meat, not that i am expecting wonders but am concerned enuf to push the set to its limits.

2. What is the CDP you are using?

Marantz SACD 7001
Tech Specs:
Frequency Response CD 2Hz-20 kHz
SACD 2Hz-50kHz(-3dB)
Dynamic Range CD <100dB
SACD 114dB
Signal-to-Noise Ratio CD 103dB
SACD 109dB
Total Harmonic Distortion CD 0.002%
SACD 0.0009%
Weight 7.5kg

I have heard same music on Marantz CD 6002 & a few makes of Cambridge Audio and Quad. Quad's CDP and the one i am using are quite close in the sound signature department WHILE Quad was more mellow (*seemed to have even rounded off HF levels than the 7001).

3. Your room dimensions, current speaker placement positions etc. w.r.t Front Wall, Side walls and your Listening Seat from the Front Wall and the Rear Wall. Pictures of the actual room will greatly help for analysis work and will take it from there.

- I realise the room is a misfit for the speakers being rear ported and i dont have enuf space to pull the forward. More so, cause the dynamics change 'drastically' soon as bring them into the living room which is very airy.
BUT, the speakers do get a few brownie points in the mids & highs when connected analog but for LF, which dabbles at times purely for the want of space as it seems.

Room dimensions
- 10 x 12 x 10
- Pics to follow soon

Much appreciate & regards

I'd suggest playing around with speaker positioning before trying out cables.

Getting imaging right in tight spaces is a bit tricky

@ Jai
Its a catch 22 situation.

I know the room isnt really apt for what speakers can do (BUT THEY PULL OF QUITE FINE STILL), bigger space is needed, i know 11L2 being rear ported make it even worse in such situation and well they are nearly best placed as they can for now. BUT, i shall be adding some heavy stands by AAD for the speakers and hence it shall help me move the speakers comfortably a little more away (by few inches) from the wall.

tks for the tip though

+1 to xlo and tara labs, most of their cables are good.

Audition with your system is the key, may be after that you can source em from abroad:p.some good xlo cable deals are offered by many online authorized retailers.

You could also give synergistic research cables a try cause i feel that they go well with most speakers sells for reasonable price.

@ Raja
Your advice with specific "cable name" shall help ...and i am looking forward to this w.r.t QUAD setup. So if you know the cable's characterstic then only it shall be worth considering. XLO, TARA i know of ..but they are rather away from the budget. Looking at the pricing i was rather thinking to pick a preowned reference I/C for now ..none the less shall wait for AE's words of guidance.

^ The synergistic research cable i mentioned was the Alpha and now it is not available in India but a new version(i think it is named matrix or something) of the same cable is available for 1800 rupees a meter. ive herd both of them and it is very good for the price and will go well with most of speakers .

About tara labs and xlo cables i generally said it sounded good because those cables ive heard being part of a system sounded good to me. so, i was just suggesting that you should give these cables a try in your system before buying .I am not sure if these cables are available in India either, cause most of what ive heard and buy is from Singapore.

If you pm me or mention your budget here then i could mention the tara labs and xlo cables ive heard that may suit ur needs.

Last edited:
Rajeev, give me a days time. There is something which has come up suddenly ..it shall be a pleasant change in my audio rack, if it pulls through. But that would also mean that i shall put cables off till next month.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back